antivirus

emathed

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first Android phone a Samsung Galaxy S3...I was wondering, do I need an anti virus app since my phone reminds me of a computer and if so, how many should I have and what do you recommend/prefer? Thanks so much!!!!

snitski51

Reaction score
I would get AVG protection. I like it a lot and never got a virus yet.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Anti virus software is not needed for android (or ios for that matter). The reason you "haven't got a virus yet" is because there aren't any. There is however from time to time malicious applications on the market that you should watch out for. Any app that asks for to many permissions or permissions that don't seem appropriate should be avoided. Google does a really good job of keeping those type of apps out of the market, but other "app stores" aren't always on top of it. Google "anti virus on android, droid forms" for a few really good explanations why anti virus software isn't needed. Also, it uses up system resources and can slow down the phone.

This post is Incredible 2

snitski51

Reaction score
I don't really know to much about the whole virus deal but I would imagine as long as you are using the internet and other people can reach you through it, then you can get a virus......no???

Wopback

Reaction score
Droid Firefighter said:
Anti virus software is not needed for android (or ios for that matter). The reason you "haven't got a virus yet" is because there aren't any. There is however from time to time malicious applications on the market that you should watch out for. Any app that asks for to many permissions or permissions that don't seem appropriate should be avoided. Google does a really good job of keeping those type of apps out of the market, but other "app stores" aren't always on top of it. Google "anti virus on android, droid forms" for a few really good explanations why anti virus software isn't needed. Also, it uses up system resources and can slow down the phone.

This post is Incredible 2

Well said!!!!!

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I don't really know to much about the whole virus deal but I would imagine as long as you are using the internet and other people can reach you through it, then you can get a virus......no???

Yes, but the vast majority of viruses out there only affect Windows OS. Some affect Apple OS. As DF mentioned, we have not seen any that affect Andorid OS as of yet.

BuccoDroid

Reaction score
I've been using Lookout Security and Antivirus on my last 3 smartphone. Got it from Google Play Store and it was FREE! Works just great for me. As for the statements that Android gets no viruses, I find that hard to believe so I installed Lookout just in case.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I run Lookout on both of my devices. I also like the ability to find a lost item and a few other benefits. There are other apps that work the same but I've always had Lookout and it has worked great so far for me.

snitski51

Reaction score
BuccoDroid said:
I've been using Lookout Security and Antivirus on my last 3 smartphone. Got it from Google Play Store and it was FREE! Works just great for me. As for the statements that Android gets no viruses, I find that hard to believe so I installed Lookout just in case.

True that.