Antivirus protection?

countryboy498

Reaction score
I have been thinking about using an antivirus protection program. AVG offers a free one in the market and I have used AVG for my computers at home before. Any thoughts? Is this needed? I figured if doing so much web surfing, you can pick up a virus from anywhere on your computer why not your phone?

Any tips, advice, suggestions are appreciated.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Generaly people will tell you you don't need anti virus as android is based on linux where that isn't a concern. What you need to worry more about is malware.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Personal vigilance. Be aware of what apps you download and check what permissions they are asking for.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

harrellj

Reaction score
Also, read comments (and not just the top few). Sites like androlib and appbrain have their own comment system separate from the market's as well. If you're not certain of whether an app is OK or not, search for reviews of it to see other people's thoughts. Standard "protect yourself" procedures.

brando56894

Reaction score
Android is about 95% safe. You dont need av or stuff like that because of the way linux is setup and about 99% of apps in the market are safe, google pulls the ones that arent.