Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Looks like it is the same thickness as Thunderbolt...

160875-motorolaandroid.jpg

Source: Here

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well doesn't look that thick to me but I guess we'll see when we get clearer pictures. And after looking at the other pictures if it on pocketnow, it's not very thick at all by my standards and in those pictures, you can see the hdmi and USB ports on the left side.

motorola-mystery-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I hope it's thinner than the Thunderbolt. It doesn't look that thick in that picture.

Blurrycam, FTW!

Another photo of a moto... taken from a moto (with signature low light, meth addict hand shake blur) :)

Sadly enough this piss poor photo looks like the right angle to see that lip or chin isnt as bad as the other photos led me to believe...
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

audioxtc85

Reaction score
Will the bootloader be locked on the bionic? Please say no! I hope it is running the new dual core TI OMAP processor!!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Will the bootloader be locked on the bionic? Please say no!

Nobody knows at this point, but until Motorola actually starts releasing phones with an unlocked and unencrypted bootloader, it should always be assumed that their phones will be locked and encrypted.

The only two devices they've released that were unlocked (Droid) and unlockable (Xoom) were only that way because they had to be since they were Google experience devices that launched a new OS version. So, until they prove otherwise, it's safe to assume that it will be locked.

Vakharn

Reaction score
So wait a sec, I was under the impression that a locked bootloader meant you couldn't root the phone yet I can't think of a motorola phone that hasn't been rooted, so what exactly does a locked bootloader do?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
So wait a sec, I was under the impression that a locked bootloader meant you couldn't root the phone yet I can't think of a motorola phone that hasn't been rooted, so what exactly does a locked bootloader do?

No, a locked bootloader prevents you from installing custom kernals and most custom roms. It doesn't prevent root access.

And there's a difference between a bootloader that's simply locked and a bootloader that's encrypted. Motorola locks and encrypts their bootloaders, which makes them virtually impossible to crack. A bootloader that's just locked, like the ones seen in some HTC devices, can potentially be cracked and unlocked with some hard work (like the Thunderbolt).

anuraj1

Reaction score
Looks like the lip/chin is flush with the screen! And the phone looks nice and thin. I think this phone is beautiful compared to the lumpy piece of plastic that they showed us at CES. Need this yesterday!

Vakharn

Reaction score
Ok so I guess that doesn't affect me that much since even though I've rooted my original droid I haven't put a custom kernal or rom on it. The only thing I really want to be sure of is that I willl be able to remove bloatware and blur despite the encrypted bootloader. The fact that I won't be able to manually update the OS is annoying as well but won't be a problem for quite a while.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The only thing I really want to be sure of is that I willl be able to remove bloatware and blur despite the encrypted bootloader.

There's no certainty of that at this point. Blur can only be removed with a custom rom, and even then it's never completely gone (although it gives the appearance of being gone). And the newer versions of Gingerbread are proving tougher to root. But you can be guaranteed that the development community will be incredibly strong for the Bionic, and even if everything is locked down and encrypted, they'll do everything they can to find ways into it.