Android Market is upgrading to GOOGLE PLAY

lykofos

Reaction score
So, I finally got the update AND so far... It seems to be working without any issues. It's weird, it didn't give me the option for updating until I went into the "multitasking" section (long press home button) and selected the market.

That's weird. I tried that just for the hell of it, and still a no go here. I'll wait a few days and see if the new market gets pushed.

dl1762

Reaction score
a Google play app just showed up in my apps . It left the market app icon on my home

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

lykofos

Reaction score
Well speak of the devil, I just got a play update notification while I was randomly browsing the market! dancedroid

My market reads version 3.4.7. Apparently this version fixes the "broken market shortcut in the upper right hand corner of the app drawer" issue. Perhaps that's why some of us were delayed in receiving the update. They realized it broke the shortcut link on motorola phones and wanted to fix it before pushing google play to more people.

86351lx

Reaction score
So I just hit market to see if I was on the update path... I'm on the d3 hash ics beta rom..... I truly accidently hit the decline button. And now my market disappeared. Along with the play store icon it created...... a lot of dot dot dots here lol

Sent from my XT862 using DroidForums

debrad0307

Reaction score
I still haven't got the google play update... Is it because I'm running a rom?

Edit: I just got the play update. My icon is still the market icon but it now says google play when I open it.

tappin and talkin on my BIONIC

Last edited:
Reaction score
View attachment 48246 Anyone think Google is a little outrageous... $9.99 to RENT certain movies?!?!!?

Actually their prices are pretty decent. The movie you are referring to is $9.99 because it is not even in theaters yet. So, of course you are going to pay more if you want to watch a movie before anyone else.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
I personally hate Google Play. Just the name of it, it sounds like a company that just took a huge step back, and Google did. Imagine someone who picks up an Android phone for the first time, "Where's the place to download apps? Would it be in the G's for Google whatever they call it? Maybe it's under the S's for Store or something. No, not there.."

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

SupraRZ95

Reaction score
Yup. Google completely sold out. When they changed the look of YouTube for the millionth time a couple months ago I went bat **** insane. I HATE IT AND SO DOES 3 million other you tubers. Google doesn't listen nor do they care at all. As long as they get that check they laugh all the way to the bank.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I agree, I'm not a fan of it at all. I never really appreciated the charm of the little Android Market guy until it was taken away from me and replaced with more corporatism advertising. I'll still catch myself going to the M's for Market, or when I first flip to the screen that had my Market widget on it my brain/eyes will instantly look for the green on white, but then remember the cold hard truth...

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
I agree, I'm not a fan of it at all. I never really appreciated the charm of the little Android Market guy until it was taken away from me and replaced with more corporatism advertising. I'll still catch myself going to the M's for Market, or when I first flip to the screen that had my Market widget on it my brain/eyes will instantly look for the green on white, but then remember the cold hard truth...

I just realized.. You're really right. Our iconic and beloved little green man has been replaced by an arrow. We're not going to see much of him anymore, except for in commercials like the Sprint HTC Evo commercial, where they had Androids flying all over the place... I have yet to see what the new market widget looks like, I'll post back with what I find..

I originally thought Google was slowly going to start becoming Play.. But now I see that I was wrong, and that instead Android has become Play..

Edit: Oh my god.. The only place we're ever going to see our little green man is if we use the Home Screen Tips widget.. That's the only place I can find him..

Last edited:

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
I've got an idea.. Why doesn't Apple try a comeback to this.. The new face of Apple: A Square. Totally makes sense, right.. Apple changing their logo from an apple to a square.. Like how Google Android changed their logo from a beloved Android to a triangle..

... You suck Google. You threw away something that you had good. Again.

dags5000

Reaction score
Dont see what all the fuss is about. Its just a name. The app is the same

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dont see what all the fuss is about. Its just a name. The app is the same

Like in Romeo & Juliet (II, ii, 1-2):

Juliet:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

Or the slogan when Esso changed its name to Exxon:

"Brand New Name. Same Old Gas."

To me it changes the way Google wants to market their phones. Play=Fun so buy our phones to have fun. I've seen an ad for Blackberry where two young musician are saying they choose to use a Blackberry because they need a phone to work with, not play with. Changing the name to Play almost proves that.

One thing with the name change, Google apps like Movies and Books will all be together in the App Drawer as they added "Play" to the beginning of the name.

Last edited:

meishkov

Reaction score
Not sure how someone doesn't think it was a bad move. The word "Play" is for children, as in the groups of people who Don't buy their android phones. Its not professional or a business-savvy word, period. Their credibility takes a hit with the name change, no question about it. I know they've fallen a step in my eyes. They're losing their focus and its painful to watch.

Just yesterday I had to read an article I think on CNN about an ex-goog employee who quit after like 3 years because he couldn't stand What they've become. Saying that their startup culture and attitude is gone, and its all about maximizing Google+. Said there's the Google before + and after +, and the after is not a good thing. Interesting

Sent from my OG using DroidForums