Android Market is upgrading to GOOGLE PLAY

lykofos

Reaction score
For some strange reason, I have "Play Books", "Play Music" and "Play Movies" but no "Google Play" store icon. WTH?

Same here dude. I noticed that in my app drawer there are new "Play Books", "Play Music" and "Play Movies" icons, but my market is still the old 3.4.4 version and hasn't updated yet.

jstwondrng

Reaction score
Same here dude. I noticed that in my app drawer there are new "Play Books", "Play Music" and "Play Movies" icons, but my market is still the old 3.4.4 version and hasn't updated yet.

In a way, I'm kinda happy it hasn't happened yet... Especially since a few ppl are having problems with it.

Scribble

Reaction score
Have you gone to the market? It didn't update for me until I actually went on the market. It then tells you about the update and you click an accept thing.

meishkov

Reaction score
Man, no idea who the idiot at Google is in charge of this but he needs to lose his job...seriously. That's not a joke. Play store? Seriously?? I had all the faith in the world in Google until now, seems they're goin against their own motto of Don't be evil. Play store sounds like somethin marketed towards children, honestly. Market was professional. Was hoping this happened on April 1 so then I could just say Phew, horrible April fool's joke...but not the case unfortunately. It's not too late for them to change it. Nobody will remember this mistake if they fix it immediately. They will always remember if they don't.

Sent from my OG using DroidForums

criminal666

Reaction score
Still dont have Google Play yet ethier:( I have Play Music and Play Books but still the old Market app. I have also accepted the terms notice multiple times....

lykofos

Reaction score
Have you gone to the market? It didn't update for me until I actually went on the market. It then tells you about the update and you click an accept thing.

Yep, I actually bought 5 of the $.49 apps today for the bionic too (world of goo, tunein radio pro, quell reflect, dead space, and business calendar). The only thing that popped up was a new Terms of Service agreement for Google Play. I clicked accept and it took me into the market but didn't upgrade the market.

Seems like there's already 3 of us posting here that haven't received the market update yet. Which is partially a good thing since the market shortcut icon in the upper right corner of the app drawer still works.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems like there's already 3 of us posting here that haven't received the market update yet.

Add a 4th poster.

On Tuesday I got updates to Music and Books so they are now Play Music and Play Books. Interesting; now that the names begin with "Play" that puts them together in the App Drawer.

Yesterday when I went to the Market it asked me to accept the Play Store terms and that was it. No icon change or anything. Then in the evening I got a text saying that the Android Market would be changing to Google Play and my phone would be getting an update in a few days.

Last edited:

jstwondrng

Reaction score

Actually, I did and I received the "Google Play" disclaimer, but no icon change... Not sure what's going on.

Scribble

Reaction score
Actually, I did and I received the "Google Play" disclaimer, but no icon change... Not sure what's going on.

I use Go Launcher, and when I got the upgrade there was a still an Android Market icon in my drawer after the upgrade (it just didn't do anything.) It asked if it should be removed.

Another icon labeled "Play Store" was added in addition to the no longer functioning icon. Are you sure you looked for Play Store and not Google Play? (I know it sounds simple and you probably did, but... sometimes I miss stuff like that. Google isn't all that umm consistent with its names...)

jstwondrng

Reaction score
I use Go Launcher, and when I got the upgrade there was a still an Android Market icon in my drawer after the upgrade (it just didn't do anything.) It asked if it should be removed.

Another icon labeled "Play Store" was added in addition to the no longer functioning icon. Are you sure you looked for Play Store and not Google Play? (I know it sounds simple and you probably did, but... sometimes I miss stuff like that. Google isn't all that umm consistent with its names...)

So, I finally got the update AND so far... It seems to be working without any issues. It's weird, it didn't give me the option for updating until I went into the "multitasking" section (long press home button) and selected the market.

R

rsforkner

I hate this whole Market/Play thing. I don't buy music or books or anything else via these. I just want to go straight to the apps. If I forget to tap the apps button and do a search I get a list of all kinds of junk.

FWIW the same issue is on my tablet and its no better.

Bob

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ive talked to a few people who are rooted and the market button<google play> works for them . the one at the top right of the screen in the app drawer.

it also seems as if there are a lot of threads with this same topic and concern.

It shouldn't work, it's hardcoded to the specific APK name for the old market. And the entire internet will back me up on this, as it's all over the place that this update "breaks" Motorola Devices.

Google Play update breaks Market links on some Motorola devices | The Verge

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Ive talked to a few people who are rooted and the market button<google play> works for them . the one at the top right of the screen in the app drawer.

it also seems as if there are a lot of threads with this same topic and concern.

Sadly, I'd never noticed the upper right button! BUT... MINE WORKS, LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Mine is solid white and it's not Broken.... Works fine!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

mugz714

Reaction score
Restart ur phone

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums