Android 2.2

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I know a bunch of folks are waiting for the official 2.1 OTA update.
For most of us what is in 2.1 is old news Google's Android 2.1: How It'll Change Your Phone - PCWorld but eventually, some sooner than later, all Android based phones will have it and it will be old news and time to look at what is next...as we always tend to do.

We've heard that for Flash to work on our phones 2.1 is needed. So for Flash we next have to wait on Adobe.

After that? I expect new apps to come around. Some being brand new concepts and some will be apps proven to be successful on other platforms. Improvements in existing apps are bound to come around as well.

Finally, the topic of the thread: What will be in Android 2.2? Google has released 2.1 and I doubt they are done with Android. I searched the web but didn't come up with anything other than it might be available by the end of this year for some phones out there. Sony Ericsson's Xperia Phones to Taste Android 2.2 - A company's spokesperson revealed - Softpedia

Or does the OS not matter so much as Google Maps version 5 and 6, whatever the next Buzz might be, and other upgrades to existing tools we have?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
A little birdy told me that Froyo is already being tested on the Droid.

OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Troublemaker! :rofl3:

Lol. I figured there wasn't much new to post in the various 2.1 threads and was fairly sure that while the Android community at large was waiting for 2.1 that those who created 2.1 were done with it and moving on. I wondered what that might be.

I also figured a Droid specific issue like adding bluetooth activated calling would not be a verizon/moto android 2.11 upgrade but rather a separate patch that would be app specific...not OS specific, which is why I asked if folks thought the next big things to look forward to would be app enhancements. Especially because I have no clue what might be in the OS. Obviously something new is added to the OS so things like Live Wallpapers will work and other things like that.

squeeze him until he chirps :)
Would this be something official or a leak type thing?

TimChgo9

Reaction score
That is one cool looking phone. I would seriously be interested in acquiring one of those Experias.....

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Troublemaker! :rofl3:

Lol. I figured there wasn't much new to post in the various 2.1 threads and was fairly sure that while the Android community at large was waiting for 2.1 that those who created 2.1 were done with it and moving on. I wondered what that might be.

I also figured a Droid specific issue like adding bluetooth activated calling would not be a verizon/moto android 2.11 upgrade but rather a separate patch that would be app specific...not OS specific, which is why I asked if folks thought the next big things to look forward to would be app enhancements. Especially because I have no clue what might be in the OS. Obviously something new is added to the OS so things like Live Wallpapers will work and other things like that.

squeeze him until he chirps :)
Would this be something official or a leak type thing?

Unofficial information from someone I truly believe to be a Moto employee, as he had inside info on ESE53 well before it leaked.

ShowTime

Reaction score
I heard that 2.1 will be the last update we see. Google and Motorola are moving on to bigger and better things and the Droid has already done what it was intended to do (get Motorola back in to the hunt and help Google fire the first shot at Apple, via Android). Now it's on to the next project, that will undoubtedly have upgraded hardware and better software integration across the board. So lets hope 2.1 cures everyone's ills...

See, now THAT'S how you make trouble Anne ;)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I heard that 2.1 will be the last update we see. Google and Motorola are moving on to bigger and better things and the Droid has already done what it was intended to do (get Motorola back in to the hunt and help Google fire the first shot at Apple, via Android). Now it's on to the next project, that will undoubtedly have upgraded hardware and better software integration across the board. So lets hope 2.1 cures everyone's ills...

If that's the case, I hope they release more of the components to developers to take full advantage.

I think Google has more than enough size and money to focus on multiple projects, but Gizmo/GV is going to be a game changer. If they do neglect Android, that would be a huge disappointment as some have commented that multiple, disjoint roms continuing to branch off from each other is not good for the phone and Android longer-term.

Plus, I've spent hours upon hours tweaking and playing with my droid (very enjoyable time killer), but I would be hugely turned off if my next phone essentially requires me to start from scratch.

zero7404

Reaction score
not sure they might even bother with 2.2 ... 3.0 is in development ...

what i'm not fond of is how Google has been 'biased' with updates for certain phones. the nexus one has been out a while, ok, so why doesn't the 2.1 update for droid provide us with the same features the nexus one has ? because they don't want droid owners to have it.

you know, android would be a lot more popular if the releases pushed to various phones all had the same features included across the board (2.1 Droid = 2.1 Nexus One, etc. etc.) ....

it's still not a bad deal for smartphone users out there, because it's an evolving and exciting platform nonetheless and it's more promising than blackberry OS and iphone OS, imho ....

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can play this game. What about Android 10? :D

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

what i'm not fond of is how Google has been 'biased' with updates for certain phones. the nexus one has been out a while, ok, so why doesn't the 2.1 update for droid provide us with the same features the nexus one has ? because they don't want droid owners to have it.

you know, android would be a lot more popular if the releases pushed to various phones all had the same features included across the board (2.1 Droid = 2.1 Nexus One, etc. etc.) ....

it's still not a bad deal for smartphone users out there, because it's an evolving and exciting platform nonetheless and it's more promising than blackberry OS and iphone OS, imho ....

What feature has Google denied the Droid? Name one, please and I bet you will be wrong.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

What feature has Google denied the Droid? Name one, please and I bet you will be wrong.

Actually, I'm gonna reply to myself and make a preemptive strike here.

https://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/packages/apps/Launcher2.git;a=summary

That right there, is the source code for the 3D Launcher that everyone thinks Google denied the Droid.

Thank Motorola for not including it. Google had no part in it.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm already running 2.5 - you don't have to select stuff you just think it at your droid and it happens.