All around fail. X2 Q&A

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
So I just wanted to give my experience thus far with the X2. Hopefully this will clear up a lot of questions and will show up when people do a google search of their problems.

Q: Let's start with the lag. Is it just me? No. It's noticeable. It's inevitable. It's the software. I admit it's not as bad as my eris but...I shouldn't have to admit it, I should be able to shout it.

A: Root. Supercharge = Gingerbreak. V6 Supercharger. Google both or search these forums. They are pretty easy to do and only take 10 minutes at most. However I'm skeptical on the freezing of bloatware. I've really been playing around with this thing, and it seems like the bloatware keeps everything connected. With the recommended megamemory settings for V6SC (6, 12, 75, 125, 150, 175) and the typical bloatware culprits frozen, I was running at around 90-110/404 mb. For fun I defrosted some of the main bloat programs, and now my memory runs at about 110-130/404. This jumps around a bit but that's definitely the average. Why this is I have no idea, but try it yourself and see what happens. Try one thing at a time, I started with Blockbuster and CityID. I still have a few authenticators and whatnot frozen but I did defrost the major programs that show up in the app list.

Q: Video and music playback. Why is it so choppy on 720p? Why are other settings fine? Why does my music skip and pop, or even shut off? Are the two connected?

A: Nobody knows for sure, but everyones pretty sure yes. The problem most likely lies with the processor and the SD card. It's NOT a memory management issue like the lag as with plenty of free memory it still happens. It seems like the processor is too fast for the SD card. When the phone is trying to read data from SD it's trying to grab it faster than the SD can hand it out. This seems to be eased by moving video storage to internal instead of SD, which only proves this theory. Haven't tried putting music on internal yet, but I'd be willing to bet that would work for the music. The phone is too good to handle itself. I can only hope an update will fix this but since it's a problem with reading the SD card and not necessarily the phone...we'll see.

Q: Is it a problem with my phone? Should I get a replacement?

A: Most likely....no. I'm on a replacement phone and it still has the EXACT same issues. In fact, it seems worse on the replacement phone (which came with an old version of the market, which also effects certain apps, which is a total hassle). So if these are your problems, don't waste your time and effort.

Q: Does Verizon and Motorola give a damn? Do they even know? Do they have plans to fix it?

A: No, no, and no. I've called both multiple times and they don't know anything. Apparently I'm the only one to have mentioned these issues. I've been transferred to "level 2 tech support" on both and neither even knew SD cards had classes. One of them even tried to ASSURE me that Gingerbread has been released for the X2. Not even joking. They also both admitted they don't even bother to look at the forums because "a forum is a forum and anyone can post anything on there," (verbatim quote). This show's how much they care doesn't it? Why bother to check the tech support forums when everyone is obviously just there to lie and troll. Ugh....

Q: Is there anything good about the X2? Why bother?

A: Absolutely. IMO the screen is beautiful. The auto brightness is usually way too dim, but I keep mine on full brightness and it is extremely crisp and clear. I compared it side by side to my INC2 and there wasn't even a challenge. With the memory management in place, this thing is lightning fast. On WiFi my browser opens up instantly and non-mobile pages are loaded within 3 seconds. Very impressive. The phone takes 1/3 of the time it took for my eris to turn on. You can use a custom launcher to replace Blur and it helps tremendously. GoLauncher Exe is the best in my opinion but to each their own. I think it looks very cool. When sitting on my desk, it just looks so powerful and even slightly ominous. People have commented "whoa! now that's a phone!" when they see me pull it out of my pocket. It is plastic as opposed to the chrome, but that means if you drop it it won't become nearly as scratched up looking. On that note, it fits great in your pocket, especially for its size. Battery life is decent on its own, but I use an extended battery so I literally never have problems and I'm a fairly heavy user. For the most part I love this phone. However music is one of my most used things on a phone and sure enough that's one of the biggest problems. But overall it really is a great phone.

This is all that comes to mind now. I'm sure more will arise. If you have any others, I've researched the problems of this thing pretty extensively and may have an answer. If not, I'm sure another tech savvy member on here will. Us X2 users must band together and complain as loud as we can or else nothing will happen. It takes awhile but it really does work. Once an issue is reported enough they will work to resolve it. But if I truly am the only one who's called in to ask, then there's no hope. GB SHOULD resolve a lot of these issues, as OTA updates usually do but....nobody knows anything for sure. And it really, really sucks.

Hopefully this thread stays alive cause it would sure as hell clean up the forum a bit with repeat posts. I won't request a sticky, but maybe we can turn this into something that deserves one.

Wongway

Reaction score
I'm not so sure that I could agree with you on the screen being beautiful. Most other points (more or less) I could agree with, but not the screen...

Any Samsung Galaxy class phone I've seen has a better/smoother looking screen. In my opinion, the original Droid had a better screen that's colors were truer to life. The DX2 seems to have a screen that (by other's web descriptions) cheats to provide higher resolution but at a cost in clarity, readability. The unsubstantiated guess so far, however, is that the screen will also use less in battery life (which is a BIG pro).

I didn't think I would notice the issues, but they are quite apparent. Try scrolling really fast up and down on a website with dark background and lighter lettering such as HardOCP and you should notice that fonts blur a bit more than they should. Greens also look a bit 'off'.

All the complaining about screen quality aside... if the screen is meant to provide better battery life, (I find the Galaxy S phone screens use too much power) than I am all for it. I can live with a slightly lower quality screen for longer use of the phone overall.

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I totally see where you're coming from. Most likely I'm just desensitized to the horribleness of my Eris, but I really did take pictures with both the INC2 and X2 and compared them side by side and the X2 was vastly superior. I really like a bright screen, so I think if that's the case, you'll love it. Otherwise I'd agree with you 100%.

Wongway

Reaction score
Taking pictures is different, that's the camera. You should have taken pictures with a Samsung. I find their cameras to be vastly superior too... especially in low light situations. Only reason why I didn't get one was that I've always had good luck with Motorola's hardware build quality. That and their(Samsung's) battery life always seemed secondary in their designs.

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Alright point taken. I did some browsing and stuff side by side and didn't notice a huge difference, so if you like a bright screen then the X2 is great, if you are looking for the absolute best clarity, then you should probably look elsewhere. Though TBH I don't want this to become a thread about just the display, as IMO that's at the bottom of the list of X2 issues. Great feedback though!

Edit: I also wanted to add the INC2 and the X2 both have the same camera.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
It drives me nuts reading about vza and moto employees being so clueless. That's all I've ever read! It appears to me that to them its "just a job" and they could care less about learning anything more about what they do. Wouldn't it be great to be able to contact the source and speak to people who do know whats going on and could actually get things done? Image if it were like that at airports and hospitals! Yikes!

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have run side by sides now with the X2 vs the X, D2, D2G, iphone 4, and a dinc2 and not one of those phones even came close. Iphone was pretty close in screen but failed in speed the way an Accord would to my M3. As did the rest of the phones. The dinc2 boots faster, loads cam faster....but that's it. And was only initial boot....the X2 killed it in finalizing load.....keep in mind the reason the Htc's load so fast is because they load the apps gradually where Motorola loads them all in the start.

This is not opinion.....this was fact. BUT.....this is after having to run scripts to remove lag, resolve the issue with SD card access issues which is where my chop issue was with music playback......yes I no longer experience that.....rooting, and of course freezing bloat.....and quite a bit of it at that.....blockbuster....let's golf....city id....that nfl game....all the vcast apps and more.

All of this had to be done .....but with it all done.....no phone that I have come across competes.

DX was rooted and oc'd
D2 same
D2G same
Dinc2 temp root
Phone stock

I am not going to bother running this against my D1. But would love to come across a tbolt or charge sometime.

Point......with out all the mods this phone was a disappointment after the initial first 48 ( the whole new toy break in period). But now.....I just can't wait to be able to do more.....bring the sbf and oc abilities and this phone is going to see a lot of the doubters all of a suddenly interested. As for the pixelation or what ever with the screen....yes no doubt it is there.....but you will only notice it from about 8 inches away or you are looking for it. You have your phone 18 or more away from your face you don't even notice it. You do not see it in video playback and I only barely see it when playing plants versus zombies via hdmi to my 42" LCD. You do not see it with that tegra pinball game or angry birds on the lcd......haven't tried pics yet.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Ok, with that rant out of the way, have you guys tried any of those apps that speed up the sd card? Or maybe try a higher class card? Just wonder if that would do anything..

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I just wanted to give my experience thus far with the X2. Hopefully this will clear up a lot of questions and will show up when people do a google search of their problems.

Q: Let's start with the lag. Is it just me? No. It's noticeable. It's inevitable. It's the software. I admit it's not as bad as my eris but...I shouldn't have to admit it, I should be able to shout it.

A: Root. Supercharge = Gingerbreak. V6 Supercharger. Google both or search these forums. They are pretty easy to do and only take 10 minutes at most. However I'm skeptical on the freezing of bloatware. I've really been playing around with this thing, and it seems like the bloatware keeps everything connected. With the recommended megamemory settings for V6SC (6, 12, 75, 125, 150, 175) and the typical bloatware culprits frozen, I was running at around 90-110/404 mb. For fun I defrosted some of the main bloat programs, and now my memory runs at about 110-130/404. This jumps around a bit but that's definitely the average. Why this is I have no idea, but try it yourself and see what happens. Try one thing at a time, I started with Blockbuster and CityID. I still have a few authenticators and whatnot frozen but I did defrost the major programs that show up in the app list.

Q: Video and music playback. Why is it so choppy on 720p? Why are other settings fine? Why does my music skip and pop, or even shut off? Are the two connected?

A: Nobody knows for sure, but everyones pretty sure yes. The problem most likely lies with the processor and the SD card. It's NOT a memory management issue like the lag as with plenty of free memory it still happens. It seems like the processor is too fast for the SD card. When the phone is trying to read data from SD it's trying to grab it faster than the SD can hand it out. This seems to be eased by moving video storage to internal instead of SD, which only proves this theory. Haven't tried putting music on internal yet, but I'd be willing to bet that would work for the music. The phone is too good to handle itself. I can only hope an update will fix this but since it's a problem with reading the SD card and not necessarily the phone...we'll see.

Q: Is it a problem with my phone? Should I get a replacement?

A: Most likely....no. I'm on a replacement phone and it still has the EXACT same issues. In fact, it seems worse on the replacement phone (which came with an old version of the market, which also effects certain apps, which is a total hassle). So if these are your problems, don't waste your time and effort.

Q: Does Verizon and Motorola give a damn? Do they even know? Do they have plans to fix it?

A: No, no, and no. I've called both multiple times and they don't know anything. Apparently I'm the only one to have mentioned these issues. I've been transferred to "level 2 tech support" on both and neither even knew SD cards had classes. One of them even tried to ASSURE me that Gingerbread has been released for the X2. Not even joking. They also both admitted they don't even bother to look at the forums because "a forum is a forum and anyone can post anything on there," (verbatim quote). This show's how much they care doesn't it? Why bother to check the tech support forums when everyone is obviously just there to lie and troll. Ugh....

Q: Is there anything good about the X2? Why bother?

A: Absolutely. IMO the screen is beautiful. The auto brightness is usually way too dim, but I keep mine on full brightness and it is extremely crisp and clear. I compared it side by side to my INC2 and there wasn't even a challenge. With the memory management in place, this thing is lightning fast. On WiFi my browser opens up instantly and non-mobile pages are loaded within 3 seconds. Very impressive. The phone takes 1/3 of the time it took for my eris to turn on. You can use a custom launcher to replace Blur and it helps tremendously. GoLauncher Exe is the best in my opinion but to each their own. I think it looks very cool. When sitting on my desk, it just looks so powerful and even slightly ominous. People have commented "whoa! now that's a phone!" when they see me pull it out of my pocket. It is plastic as opposed to the chrome, but that means if you drop it it won't become nearly as scratched up looking. On that note, it fits great in your pocket, especially for its size. Battery life is decent on its own, but I use an extended battery so I literally never have problems and I'm a fairly heavy user. For the most part I love this phone. However music is one of my most used things on a phone and sure enough that's one of the biggest problems. But overall it really is a great phone.

This is all that comes to mind now. I'm sure more will arise. If you have any others, I've researched the problems of this thing pretty extensively and may have an answer. If not, I'm sure another tech savvy member on here will. Us X2 users must band together and complain as loud as we can or else nothing will happen. It takes awhile but it really does work. Once an issue is reported enough they will work to resolve it. But if I truly am the only one who's called in to ask, then there's no hope. GB SHOULD resolve a lot of these issues, as OTA updates usually do but....nobody knows anything for sure. And it really, really sucks.

Hopefully this thread stays alive cause it would sure as hell clean up the forum a bit with repeat posts. I won't request a sticky, but maybe we can turn this into something that deserves one.

And you are not the only one that complained

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, with that rant out of the way, have you guys tried any of those apps that speed up the sd card? Or maybe try a higher class card? Just wonder if that would do anything..

That is how I fixed the sd lag to eliminate the chop in music and video

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I have run side by sides now with the X2 vs the X, D2, D2G, phone 4, and a dinc2 and not one of those phones even came close. Phone was pretty close in screen but failed in speed the way an Accord would to my M3. As did the rest of the phones. The dinc2 boots faster, loads cam faster....but that's it. And was only initial boot....the X2 killed it in finalizing load.....keep in mind the reason the Hts's load so fast is because they load the appsbyandy gradually where Motorola loads them all in the start.

This is not opinion.....this was fact. BUT.....this is after having to run scripts to remove lag, resolve the issue with SD card access issues which is where my chop issue was with music playback......yes I no longer experience that.....rooting, and of course freezing bloat.....and quite a bit of it at that.....blockbuster....let's golf....city id....that nfl game....all the vcast apps and more.

All of this had to be done .....but with it all done.....no phone that I have come across competes.

DX was rooted and oc'd
D2 same
D2G same
Dinc2 temp root
Phone stock

I am not going to bother running this against my D1. But would love to cone across a bolt or charge sometime.

Point......with out all the mods this phone was a disappointment after the initial first 48 ( the whole new toy break in period). But now.....I just can't wait to be able to do more.....bring the sbf and oc abilities and this phone is going to see a lot of the doubters all of a suddenly interested. As for the pixelation or what ever with the screen....yes no doubt it is there.....but you will only notice it from about 8 inches away or you are looking for it. You have your phone 18 or more away from your face you don't even notice it. You do not see it in video playback and I only barely see it when playing plants versus zombies via hdmi to my 42" LCD. You do not see it with that tegra pinball game or angry birds on the lcd......haven't tried pics yet.

Hey, fellow M3 driver here. Nice!

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
And you are not the only one that complained

I knew I couldn't have been, but of course that's what they told me. Each time "No sir, this is the first I've heard about any issue with the X2."

That is how I fixed the sd lag to eliminate the chop in music and video

I have SD Speed Increase and SD Maid installed. I used SD Speed Increase and I can't really say I noticed a dramatic difference. Still pops and skips in both music and video. I haven't used SD Maid yet, maybe someone here has thoughts on that. Please tell us what you did to resolve the issue completely.

It drives me nuts reading about vza and moto employees being so clueless. That's all I've ever read! It appears to me that to them its "just a job" and they could care less about learning anything more about what they do. Wouldn't it be great to be able to contact the source and speak to people who do know whats going on and could actually get things done? Image if it were like that at airports and hospitals! Yikes!

Could not agree more, I literally laughed out loud when that guy was telling me GB was released for the X2. Hopeless....

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I have run side by sides now with the X2 vs the X, D2, D2G, iphone 4, and a dinc2 and not one of those phones even came close. Iphone was pretty close in screen but failed in speed the way an Accord would to my M3. As did the rest of the phones. The dinc2 boots faster, loads cam faster....but that's it. And was only initial boot....the X2 killed it in finalizing load.....keep in mind the reason the Htc's load so fast is because they load the apps gradually where Motorola loads them all in the start.

DX was rooted and oc'd
D2 same
D2G same
Dinc2 temp root
Phone stock

I am not going to bother running this against my D1. But would love to come across a tbolt or charge sometime.

Very reassuring the HDMI works fine. I know it's a hassle, but if you could maybe post a list of which specific bloat you froze I think it would help ease a lot of people's rooting/freezing fears so they know they don't do something wrong while getting everything they can. No pressure, just a thought.

zeppelinrox

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Additional tweaks in V6 post #572.

Mostly sysctl tweaks but additional ones - such as the one telling android that you don't have a hard drive with moving parts lol

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have run side by sides now with the X2 vs the X, D2, D2G, phone 4, and a dinc2 and not one of those phones even came close. Phone was pretty close in screen but failed in speed the way an Accord would to my M3. As did the rest of the phones. The dinc2 boots faster, loads cam faster....but that's it. And was only initial boot....the X2 killed it in finalizing load.....keep in mind the reason the Hts's load so fast is because they load the appsbyandy gradually where Motorola loads them all in the start.

DX was rooted and oc'd
D2 same
D2G same
Dinc2 temp root
Phone stock

I am not going to bother running this against my D1. But would love to cone across a bolt or charge sometime.

Hey, fellow M3 driver here. Nice!

E36 looking for e46 to add to.collection....well and of course the e30