Making it clear on X2 audio issues and GB...

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Yep, we got screwed over. This is such a back-burner issue it seems. Just about everything was fixed except for every audio issue. Why this is....I don't know. But it really pisses me off. Good for you if you're "so happy with your perfect x2," but this phone is NOT the best phone I've ever had, though it is easily the phone with the most lost potential to be such. This is my experience, 100% honest, and I know I'm not alone.

These issues include....

Choppiness when multitasking. Keep in mind this only happens when multitasking, to my experience not at all if just letting the phone play. I find the best way to test it is get about halfway through a song then do settings-->applications-->manage applications and see if it happens while the app list is loading. It just doesn't make sense it would only be on half the phones and not the other half. I've had two replacements and they each did the same, some worse than others. While others claim to have nothing. How does that work? Make of this what you will.

Randomly stops playing. This would generally only happen when plugged into my car's FM transmitter. No other device does this and the transmitter works fine.

Streaming audio players were slow and/or stopped randomly. Speaks for itself. Pandora seems a bit better, but it's still not what Last.fm used to be on my Eris (when the app was free). This problem would happen even if not multitasking.

Default music player is mediocre. Admittedly this isn't a problem with the phone really, but in my eyes it just contributes to the evidence that Motorola doesn't care about people who listen to music on their phone.

Video lag. Sure this is not music, but there is still lag with sudden movements if recording in HD. Thought I'd mention it.

I have tried EVERYTHING. If there was a mod or app you could do to this phone to help, I tried it. Nothing fixed it. Sometimes it seemed lessened, but I think it's just because it's so...random. I simply cannot figure out what causes it.

And please spare me any "this is the best phone I've ever had" rants cause I'm fully aware people claim to not have this issue. Be that the case, good for you, God must not hate you. But the 3 x2s I've tried and A LOT of people in tech support forums DO have this issue and it is simply unacceptable to charge people $200 WITH A CONTRACT for something that can't be fixed. Bugs and issues I understand, but this has barely even been acknowledged.

It also amazes me how the people at these companies claim to have never heard of this issue (especially when at least two were from me). WTF? Spend 1 minute google searching "x2 audio issues" and you'll find a multitude of complaints.

Lastly, sorry if I come off as an ass hole here. I'm really a pretty nice guy. Though I'm not rich, so a purchase like this is a big deal for me. And when the number one thing I use my phone for is the only issue that isn't fixed...can you really blame me for being mad?

Last edited:

dmgerbino

Reaction score
Amen brother. The audio issue is driving me nuts. I commute 2 hours a day and love to listen music. I had high hopes the music issues would be fixed with the GB update. I was very disappointed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

magman

Reaction score
im one of the lucky ones with no prob but bro let me tell you i agree 100% i had to cut coners at home to get this phone and i do love it but it def has its issues for me it how low the sound is even all the way up yoyutube vids cant be heard unless im in a 100% silent room its crazy.
and pandora starts so slow i had it on my droid 1 with no prob so i know its the x2 not the app.

good rant my friend :D btw just so u know the ginger that is out now isnt the last another is in the works now for more issues trust me i know :D

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Amen brother. The audio issue is driving me nuts. I commute 2 hours a day and love to listen music. I had high hopes the music issues would be fixed with the GB update. I was very disappointed.

My thoughts exactly. TBH If the only issue that was fixed was getting it to stop randomly shutting off when plugged into my transmitter, I probably wouldn't have made this thread. I'll deal with those other things because the phone has plenty of pro's...But, since that's not the case, I just can't let all these other faults slide. For shame x2, for shame...

im one of the lucky ones with no prob but bro let me tell you i agree 100% i had to cut coners at home to get this phone and i do love it but it def has its issues for me it how low the sound is even all the way up yoyutube vids cant be heard unless im in a 100% silent room its crazy.
and pandora starts so slow i had it on my droid 1 with no prob so i know its the x2 not the app.

good rant my friend :D btw just so u know the ginger that is out now isnt the last another is in the works now for more issues trust me i know :D

Thanks man, slightly reassuring. But I'm sorry, I just have to ask....are you absolutely SURE you don't have ANY of these issues? Did you try the music/app-list thing? Maybe open up other apps like weather and stuff and try it. Have you moved the camera/had fast things go by when recording in 1080p and still come out with no issues? If you have an FM transmitter, I'd LOVE to know what happens after a few songs...assuming you can make it that far. I just am having so much trouble believing only a fairly large amount of these phones got released with this problem (I've had 3 of which), yet nothing was addressed.

Now all I have to do is wait another 6 months for a GB patch that will have rumored announce dates that keep getting pushed back.

Last edited:

esox

Reaction score
+1
I agree 100% with everything you said. I have every one of the issues you mentioned. It's time for manufacturers to stop thinking of these devices as phones with some additional goodies and see them as the mini computers that they are.

bradleonard

Reaction score
k1ng,

You are in no way out of line with this post.I too have not experienced much of an improvement with the audio. The audio problem is ever so slightly better, but pandora does take up to 3 minutes to start and audio is choppy if ANYTHING is going on on the phone.

It is too bad that techs or software engineers from both VZW and Motorola don't pay attention to forums, and even if they did had the guts to step and tell customers what was going on.

I installed the pre-root Gingerbread update because I wanted to maintain root on my phone. Can anyone speak better of the actual OTA update? Did it help with audio problems any better than the "bootleg" version?

It would be nice if a developer or user could come up with a solution that fixes the problem. That would really stick it to them.

billmcg

Reaction score
Count me in for supporting your post as well

i came here tonight to post a similar rant...with the same exact issues
i am equally pissed that the audio issues persist on Gingerbread.

mine seemed ok for the first few days, but on my commute to work tonight, my audio skipped a few times, popped once, and then rebooted. Played for a few more minutes and rebooted once again...so utterly frustrating.

i paid my hard earned cash for this device as well, thinking i was getting a decent piece of hardware. I have an upgrade coming in the spring, i will have to suffer with it until then. Then this thing is GONE...

I gave my OG Droid to my wife...wishing i could convince her to trade it back to me, but i doubt it.

i guess my hopes lie with the developers to produce a ROM that addresses these and other issues that persist

The Gingerbread update has produced very little to almost no improvement to my phone what so ever with any of the issues 2.2.2 was having

blickley

Reaction score
The audio issue is my primary problem at this point with the GB update. I also have my launchers redrawing quite a bit, but I could live with that. I've tried both ADW and LauncherPro, now I'm back on the stock launcher to see if that redraws just as much or not.

Anyway, if I just let the audio play, it seems fine....as soon as I try to do anything else, it chops up. I see this with Rhapsody, Amazon MP3, and probably the most annoying is when watching a video with Act 1 Video Player (tried Rock Player too). About every 20-30 seconds, there is an audible pop in the audio. I tried re-encoding to a much lower bitrate and resolutioin and I get the same thing.

The bottom line is that it seems like the audio is a general problem, or perhaps multitasking is a problem and it is just obvious in the audio because we can "hear the issue".

This device would be absolutely fantastic if the audio issues were solved (or if I didn't care about listening to music/video).

magman

Reaction score

My thoughts exactly. TBH If the only issue that was fixed was getting it to stop randomly shutting off when plugged into my transmitter, I probably wouldn't have made this thread. I'll deal with those other things because the phone has plenty of pro's...But, since that's not the case, I just can't let all these other faults slide. For shame x2, for shame...

Thanks man, slightly reassuring. But I'm sorry, I just have to ask....are you absolutely SURE you don't have ANY of these issues? Did you try the music/app-list thing? Maybe open up other apps like weather and stuff and try it. Have you moved the camera/had fast things go by when recording in 1080p and still come out with no issues? If you have an FM transmitter, I'd LOVE to know what happens after a few songs...assuming you can make it that far. I just am having so much trouble believing only a fairly large amount of these phones got released with this problem (I've had 3 of which), yet nothing was addressed.

Now all I have to do is wait another 6 months for a GB patch that will have rumored announce dates that keep getting pushed back.
was playing mp3 for 10 mins and surfing web at same time and useing weather bug elite just fine now i do have the prob with my sd card not being able to write fast enough to record well in 720 somtimes i get a good vid other times it gets jumpy fixed it by recording to onbard mem this thing should hav came with a class 6 atleast sd card.

slacka

Reaction score
Just posted this about 4 hours ago at my usual "hang out", then found this thread on this forum. I joined just now to repost here:.

"Words can't describe what a let down this phone has been! I had a Droid X and completely loved it, loved it so much I decided to go swimming with it. I was holding out for a GS2 but when Verizon ran the POGO deal, I figured "why not?". So I got my phone yesterday and did the OTA Gingerbread update. First and foremost, I listen to A LOT of music on my phone and this thing can't go through one song with out pops, stutters and general choppiness. Really? A Dual Core Tegra chip can't play a MP3 with out skipping and stuttering? Forget multitasking while listening to music, the whole show comes to a screeching halt. By the way, I have had this same SD Card in both my Droid X and the Incredible I was borrowing for a few weeks and neither had any issues at all playing music. I've put the card back in the Incredible and played a song that was choppy on the Droid X2, guess what? It played fine on the Incredible. This is totally a Droid X2 performance issue. As a matter of fact, the performance on the Incredible's single core 1Ghz hummingbird runs laps around the DX2 dual core. Other points of frustration, when using the Home Dock, the Home button does nothing, if I somehow get out of the Home Dock app, hitting the Home button either does nothing at all or it takes me to my normal Home Screen in landscape mode (sometimes it just makes the screen brighter, WTF?). The only way to get back to Home Dock is to pull the phone out of the dock and put it back in again. This never happened on the DX. I have not made any mods or customization to this phone what so ever. I'll tell you for an "optimized for dual core" phone, this thing runs like complete garbage. I'm hoping I can return this POS for something else. Motorola really dropped the ball on this one. What a bummer, it had so much potential. I bet devs have absolutely no desire to make ROMs for this thing. Might as well polish a turd.

Rant Over"

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Look at this? Look at all these people with some kind of issue. It seriously blows my mind how something like this could just be overlooked. Or maybe they just have no clue what's causing it? Either way, they fail.

Slacka, I totally see where you're coming from, but I do have to admit WHEN WORKING PROPERLY, this phone can be blazing fast. I use GoLauncher and don't have any screen redraw now. I download 7+ updates at the same time like it's nothing. The Navigation is almost instant in loading and it follows your movement in real time with absolutely no lag. I personally like the screen on full brightness, though if you don't prefer that then I can see how the screen lighting might be a disappointment.

But, as I said, I'm like you and music is easily one of the top things I use my phone for. I just can't believe my Eris did something better than my X2. Seriously, that should not be the case.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
I think it is a ram issue. Sure, it has 512mb like must phones, but under 100mb is available to the user. Motobloat uses a lot of ram I guess.

I returned out for an incredible 2 and am happy I did. The verizon employee said I was crazy. The extra ram in this thing makes it a multitasking beast though.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

slacka

Reaction score
kingsway8605 - I'm thinking of returning for an Inc2 as well. Just wish it wasn't a 4" screen. Does it seem much smaller? I haven't had one in hand yet. My phone is only 2 days old so I can def. return.

BTW, Here's a youtube video I posted that shows the issue. h t t p://youtu.be/F6ojmzPuOJQ (remove spaces from " h t t p"). Note at the 2:03 mark when I launch "Browser" the music stutters and also at 2:42 when I launch "Manage Applications" . Other little sound glitches are present when locking the screen. This is a bare bones stock, unrooted, OTA Gingerbread with no apps installed from the market whatsoever

garywojdan81

Reaction score
Apparently, increasing the vm heap size is a remedy for the stutter, but you have to be rooted of course.

urphonesux

Reaction score
Before i rooted i had a issue of my ringtones stuttering after uppin to the pre rooted gb i now have no issues with music. Ringtones are fine and all audio whether on my sd card, pandora or tinyshark has no more problems whatsoever

Sent from the other me