Making it clear on X2 audio issues and GB...

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Sorry, it really dosent matter if you "dont really care how difficult it is to fix". It don't work that way. Fixes take time.

Also what does "everyone in this thread has tried everything LOOKS LIKE YOU DIDNT READ THE THREAD DURR" have to do with anything I said? It's not like I called all you guys liars or said this wasnt a real problem and everyone was crazy. I get the skipping and popping too and it sucks, especially because my OG Droid with only 256mb of RAM never had this problem. I realize that you can't just go "I'm mad Moto make a fix nowwwwwwwwww" and stamp my feet and have a fix in 2 weeks time. Things take time to track down and properly fix.

After all, you don't want them to fix the sound bug and introduce 5 other bugs because they didn't take the proper amount of time to test it do you?

Last thing: yes an official acknowledgment from Moto that they're aware of this issue would be nice. I've been looking on the official moto forums from time to time but i've yet to see one of them say anything :(

Actually guys look what I found?
https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/442632#442632

Chill man. I'm sorry, but I think you totally missed what I said. "DURR (another insulting connotation calling me an idiot)" nobody has once said "I expect a fix in 2 weeks." If you're going to make assumptions insulting intelligence, don't be surprised when others make assumptions that you can't read. Wording is everything on the internetz. Good - "Maybe they are aware of the issue and are just unsure of how to fix it?" No problem; friendly and constructive. Dick - "Have you guys ever even considered blah blah blah I know how it works" - full of underlying insulting connotations.

REGARDLESS OF ALL OF THAT, I said all I wanted was acknowledgement. By saying "I don't care how hard it is to fix," I simply mean you can take however long you need to fix it, just tell me you're fixing it damnit! I mean, all assumptions aside, I called in several times complaining of the issue in the first 3 weeks of release. 2 months later employees were still claiming not to have heard of the issue...and the fact both companies said GB should've shipped with the x2 says enough of their misinformation.

I do appreciate your find, what I don't get is how all these people say "Motorola knew about this before," yet when asked by multiple customers in that time frame, denied all knowledge. THATS what pisses me off. Is the issues you're trying to fix so secretive that you can't tell us until afterwards? I'm not saying you have to advertise it, but if we ask at least give us SOME peace of mind so we don't hate your company. Again I'm left in the dark as to when this update will come or what it'll address. I paid good money for this and all I can rely on is suggestive statements made by forums readers (which I appreciate, don't get me wrong) or rumor mills. But rest assured, unless you say something constructive, I'm done with this.

/rant2

Last edited:

Zetsumei

Reaction score
I think it is a ram issue. Sure, it has 512mb like must phones, but under 100mb is available to the user. Motobloat uses a lot of ram I guess.

I returned out for an incredible 2 and am happy I did. The verizon employee said I was crazy. The extra ram in this thing makes it a multitasking beast though.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

It's not a RAM issue for cryin out loud. Even with 200 mb+ free on my x2 it has the occasional audio stutter/pop or song skip on pandora. But everything else works flawlessly. Mp3, Netflix, videos I DL youtube, and even 720p youtube work fine. Would be nice to know what the exact issue is, but it's not RAM.

garywojdan81

Reaction score
I think it is a ram issue. Sure, it has 512mb like must phones, but under 100mb is available to the user. Motobloat uses a lot of ram I guess.

I returned out for an incredible 2 and am happy I did. The verizon employee said I was crazy. The extra ram in this thing makes it a multitasking beast though.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

It's not a RAM issue for cryin out loud. Even with 200 mb+ free on my x2 it has the occasional audio stutter/pop or song skip on pandora. But everything else works flawlessly. Mp3, Netflix, videos I DL youtube, and even 720p youtube work fine. Would be nice to know what the exact issue is, but it's not RAM.

Just my opinion, I think it has something to do with the 2nd processor core ramping up. On the fascinate it would happen when the processor freq was too low on the uv/oc kernels that first came out.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

blickley

Reaction score
Whatever it is, I truly hope they can fix it. I'm more than pleased with my X2 now with GB, it is super fast. If they can get the audio issue fixed, this device will be a monster. My only other issue are third party launchers and redraws, but I'm willing to live with or stick with the Moto launcher, which seems not to have that issue for me.

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Whatever it is, I truly hope they can fix it. I'm more than pleased with my X2 now with GB, it is super fast. If they can get the audio issue fixed, this device will be a monster. My only other issue are third party launchers and redraws, but I'm willing to live with or stick with the Moto launcher, which seems not to have that issue for me.

That seems to be one of the only issues I don't have. I use go launcher ex and have only seen redraw with stock motoblur.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
I actually haven't seen a re-draw yet with the stock blur launcher :wacko:

Wongway

Reaction score
Here's my experiences;

DX2 with Froyo audio issues were TERRIBLE. Music skipping was horrendous.
Supercharger Scripts and the like helped immensely, but lag and choppiness never totally disappeared for me.

DX2 with prerooted Gingerbread is what I updated to and while the music choppiness is still there, it is probably a hair better than what I had on Froyo with Supercharger scripts. For me, the phone is much improved over Froyo, but it is still not ideal and still not what I would expect a dual core version of the Droid X to be.

I have yet to try Pandora because even my Droid 1 had problems with the later upgrades of Pandora, so I was pretty sure I would still have issues with it since I do believe Pandora causes just as many issues without me having to add that onto the phone too.

Overall, I would say that the culprit here is more than likely the Tegra2 chipset. Simply put, I personally think that manufacturers have a difficult time coding for this chipset. I have no solid evidence for this other than the fact that Tegra 2 devices have had delays announced from as far back as April and the few devices that have received them before the end of July (eg, DX2 the Motorola Xoom, etc) all seem to have their share of growing pains. Even the latest release (Galaxy Tab 10.1) is not without it's share of difficulties.

Edit:
And if this truly were the problem, I can see why noone is willing to lay blame on who it is, since I don't believe either Verizon or Motorola want to be in all the blogs pointing fingers at a supplier like Nvidia. It would cause bad blood between everyone involved, not the least of which would be Nvidia taking egg on it's face, yet again. I am seriously considering not ever buying a thing this company touches again. I got burned on an older FX5200 series graphics card years ago... I owned one of the affected laptops in the nvidia settlement between HP/Dell/Apple... I figured their phone products shouldn't have too many issues...

Edit again:
One other thing I have noticed...
I seem to get random freeze and/or reboots from the phone from out of nowhere. There has so far been zero commonality with what I was doing or what program I was running. My phone has rebooted spontaneously after looking at my contact list, frozen in the middle of a song, etc. This is not common... (happens maybe once every 3 days?) but it is somewhat disturbing.

Last edited:
OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Here's my experiences;

DX2 with Froyo audio issues were TERRIBLE. Music skipping was horrendous.
Supercharger Scripts and the like helped immensely, but lag and choppiness never totally disappeared for me.

DX2 with prerooted Gingerbread is what I updated to and while the music choppiness is still there, it is probably a hair better than what I had on Froyo with Supercharger scripts. For me, the phone is much improved over Froyo, but it is still not ideal and still not what I would expect a dual core version of the Droid X to be.

I have yet to try Pandora because even my Droid 1 had problems with the later upgrades of Pandora, so I was pretty sure I would still have issues with it since I do believe Pandora causes just as many issues without me having to add that onto the phone too.

Overall, I would say that the culprit here is more than likely the Tegra2 chipset. Simply put, I personally think that manufacturers have a difficult time coding for this chipset. I have no solid evidence for this other than the fact that Tegra 2 devices have had delays announced from as far back as April and the few devices that have received them before the end of July (eg, DX2 the Motorola Xoom, etc) all seem to have their share of growing pains. Even the latest release (Galaxy Tab 10.1) is not without it's share of difficulties.

Edit:
And if this truly were the problem, I can see why noone is willing to lay blame on who it is, since I don't believe either Verizon or Motorola want to be in all the blogs pointing fingers at a supplier like Nvidia. It would cause bad blood between everyone involved, not the least of which would be Nvidia taking egg on it's face, yet again. I am seriously considering not ever buying a thing this company touches again. I got burned on an older FX5200 series graphics card years ago... I owned one of the affected laptops in the nvidia settlement between HP/Dell/Apple... I figured their phone products shouldn't have too many issues...

Edit again:
One other thing I have noticed...
I seem to get random freeze and/or reboots from the phone from out of nowhere. There has so far been zero commonality with what I was doing or what program I was running. My phone has rebooted spontaneously after looking at my contact list, frozen in the middle of a song, etc. This is not common... (happens maybe once every 3 days?) but it is somewhat disturbing.

That's a good point about how all these Tegra 2 devices kept being pushed back. So Motorola says "why not just throw one on the market and see how it does? Maybe people don't use this stuff?" And here we are.

Jason.DROID

Reaction score
I've experienced the same issue, though it was considerably worse with Froyo. I'm actually playing music right now and monitoring the logcat. Funnily enough, I opened multiple things while logging and the music didn't skip at all. WiFi is on and I have very low cell signal here at my house.

I've stopped the logcat and unplugged the USB cable and it still isn't skipping or popping at the moment.

Elixir is also monitoring CPU usage in the background. I've opened the browser, now let me open Facebook and YouTube. Ugh, I can't seem to induce the issue, but while working on my car and the phone is idling, it'll pop and stutter a bit like it wants to put the hardware to sleep but can't (software power save).

Lol, it just skipped right when I posted this thread ... wtf?

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Has anyone determined for a fact, how many bands and in what order the headset jack uses? Are you commuting thru cell hand offs? What headsets are you using? Anyone consider the loss on the radios and changes in band width as users come and go?
For those playing from sd card... Try a more approp class for media....6 our higher...

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Has anyone determined for a fact, how many bands and in what order the headset jack uses? Are you commuting thru cell hand offs? What headsets are you using? Anyone consider the loss on the radios and changes in band width as users come and go?
For those playing from sd card... Try a more approp class for media....6 our higher...

Honestly man, can't say I know for sure about the headset jack (though I've had theories it might be that as well), but just about everything has been tried or tested. Only card I haven't heard about being tested is a class 10. Maybe that's what the developers had in it and it works differently than others?

Wongway

Reaction score

See, all that would probably be a valid line of thinking if I didn't come from the original Droid, which had half the ram and a single core processor clocked at like 550mhz, that didn't have all of these issues.

The original Droid's included 16gb card was a class 2 Sandisk. Playing Media should not be an issue here at all.

gr8scott_o

Reaction score

See, all that would probably be a valid line of thinking if I didn't come from the original Droid, which had half the ram and a single core processor clocked at like 550mhz, that didn't have all of these issues.

The original Droid's included 16gb card was a class 2 Sandisk. Playing Media should not be an issue here at all.

Agreed, the speed of the SD card is a red herring. Class 2 works fine on other devices with less memory (OG Droid, DX). I have tried class 4 and 6 cards to no avail.

Someone somewhere mentioned that their media playing had no issues when playing thru Bluetooth, and now that I think about it I have had good luck in the car, but my drive is pretty short at 20 mins or so. I have a spare Blackberry Bluetooth Audio Gateway here at the house, I will take it to work tomorrow and see if I experience a difference listening strictly thru Bluetooth.

Anyone else have negative experiences specifically when connected via Bluetooth? I am talking media playback only here.

One thing I have noticed; hiss occurs only when I have Media Audio Effects turned on. Turn it off, hiss goes away.

I don't get popping much, but I have noticed a couple in the last week or so.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I listen to nearly all my music, podcasts, and audible books over bluetooth. Maybe that's why I've had so few problems.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

garywojdan81

Reaction score
This is just my opinion & I am not a dev, but I think the popping has more to do with the processor than the available ram. I think its happening when the 2nd core ramps up while audio is playing. We had the exact same issues on the fascinate when custom kernels came out. When the processor would drop to the 100mhz freq. audio pops & skips would occur. The fix would be to lock out the 100mhz slot. We obviously can't do that yet, but maybe a dev could look into what going on with multitasking during audio playback. Another complication seems to be a processor that's faster than any other part of this phone, and we got a complicated aggravation. But at least its Bing-free.