OG D1 for X2 today

royta

Reaction score
My Droid is getting replaced today. The touch screen completely flaked out last night.

Of all the phones in VZW's lineup, the X2 is the one I'm most interested in. Even though I work in a city with 4G coverage, I live and recreate in an area with only 3G. So, I'm thinking 3G is the safest bet for me. I want an external battery and do not want an external keyboard. Despite the X2 not being perfect, it sounds like it is the most perfect for my application.

I'm not sure what firmware will come stock. What do you suggest the first course of action be after I pick up the phone today? What will make this phone operate the smoothest?

Thanks.

Trip3601211

Reaction score
Welcome to the X2 side lol. The latest build that comes on the phone should be 2.3.4. Some come with 2.3.3 but the latest OTA was 2.3.4. For only a 3G phone, this phones a beast. The Incredible 2 may be a little better but its all preference I guess. I choose Moto over HTC anyway IMHO. You ask what you should do with your X2 right away to make it smooth? It may be fine running stock. Depending on how good the refurb is. But if you want a ROM and are thinking of rooting, I've heard nothing but good about the Eclipse V6 Supercharge ROM. Haven't done it myself but have been reading alot about it. Hope this shines some light on your next move. Welcome again.

Sent from my DROID X2

robert70

Reaction score
I personally love my x2. The only thing I have done was to d/l go launcher from the market, my year warrenty isn't up for a few months yet so I haven't rooted, but as soon as the warrenty is up I plan on it. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying there is anything wrong with rooting before that date, waiting until that date is just my ocd kicking in, oh I'm sorry I use handcent SMS and better keyboard pro. Eclipse v6 looks like a really good Tom from everything that I have read as well.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
R

royta

Reaction score
This will be a brand new X2, not a refurb. My concern is mostly with battery level issues I've read about on 2.3.4 and also the problem with locking up when you hit the spacebar when messaging. I see there is a fix for the battery level, but it requires you to be rooted and to install a couple files from the 2.3.3 build. I read the keyboard issue can be resolved temporarily by clearing the settings or something like that, and permanently by downloding a new keyboard from the market.

I do have hardware concerns with the for buttons on the bottom and am hoping they don't give me any issues. I'd much rather it be a full touchscreen without those four buttons.

I am excited to get a much speedier processor and much more space which will hopefully keep the phone from getting the dereaded 10 second lag to bring up the homescreen icons like my original Droid had.

ETA - I also use Handscent SMS.

robert70

Reaction score
Even with stock messaging, I have never had an issue with the space bar or freezing from using it, nor have I had any issues with the buttons at the bottom and mi e is a refurbished unit that was sent to me after I had to replace 2 og x's, the battery life isn't as bad as some would like you to believe, all you have to do is be a little smart about display settings and killings tasks when the screen is off and what not and your good to go, I get almost a whole days use out of my battery with heavy use, mind you q whole day for me is about 16 hrs, I ha e gotten much longer than that but I was driving to Colorado and the phone was mostly laying in the car seat next to me. Like I said I think this phone rocks and IMHO one of the best phones they have put out.

MusicIsTheKey

Reaction score
I do have hardware concerns with the for buttons on the bottom and am hoping they don't give me any issues. I'd much rather it be a full touchscreen without those four buttons.

ETA - I also use Handscent SMS.

If you don't like pushing the hard buttons, then you could always download an application that allows you to touch a "virtual button" on your screen instead.

OP
R

royta

Reaction score
Well, I've got the X2. Speedy. I like it a lot so far.

On another note, I can't believe how fast the 4G network is on the RAZR. I ran the ookla speed test, and wow.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

OP
R

royta

Reaction score
Well, I have the same battery level problem as all the 2.3.4 firmware users have. I was at 30% and then 50% after a reboot. Is there a tutorial on replacing the two files with 2.3.3 files?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk