Making it clear on X2 audio issues and GB...

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X2' started by k1ngr4t, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Wongway

Wongway Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's my experiences;

DX2 with Froyo audio issues were TERRIBLE. Music skipping was horrendous.
    Supercharger Scripts and the like helped immensely, but lag and choppiness never totally disappeared for me.

DX2 with prerooted Gingerbread is what I updated to and while the music choppiness is still there, it is probably a hair better than what I had on Froyo with Supercharger scripts. For me, the phone is much improved over Froyo, but it is still not ideal and still not what I would expect a dual core version of the Droid X to be.

I have yet to try Pandora because even my Droid 1 had problems with the later upgrades of Pandora, so I was pretty sure I would still have issues with it since I do believe Pandora causes just as many issues without me having to add that onto the phone too.

Overall, I would say that the culprit here is more than likely the Tegra2 chipset. Simply put, I personally think that manufacturers have a difficult time coding for this chipset. I have no solid evidence for this other than the fact that Tegra 2 devices have had delays announced from as far back as April and the few devices that have received them before the end of July (eg, DX2 the Motorola Xoom, etc) all seem to have their share of growing pains. Even the latest release (Galaxy Tab 10.1) is not without it's share of difficulties.

Edit:
    And if this truly were the problem, I can see why noone is willing to lay blame on who it is, since I don't believe either Verizon or Motorola want to be in all the blogs pointing fingers at a supplier like Nvidia. It would cause bad blood between everyone involved, not the least of which would be Nvidia taking egg on it's face, yet again. I am seriously considering not ever buying a thing this company touches again. I got burned on an older FX5200 series graphics card years ago... I owned one of the affected laptops in the nvidia settlement between HP/Dell/Apple... I figured their phone products shouldn't have too many issues...

Edit again:
    One other thing I have noticed...
    I seem to get random freeze and/or reboots from the phone from out of nowhere. There has so far been zero commonality with what I was doing or what program I was running. My phone has rebooted spontaneously after looking at my contact list, frozen in the middle of a song, etc. This is not common... (happens maybe once every 3 days?) but it is somewhat disturbing.

#37 Wongway, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t Senior Member

Ratings:
    +114
    Current Phone Model:
    Z Force
    That's a good point about how all these Tegra 2 devices kept being pushed back. So Motorola says "why not just throw one on the market and see how it does? Maybe people don't use this stuff?" And here we are.

3. Jason.DROID

Jason.DROID Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've experienced the same issue, though it was considerably worse with Froyo. I'm actually playing music right now and monitoring the logcat. Funnily enough, I opened multiple things while logging and the music didn't skip at all. WiFi is on and I have very low cell signal here at my house.

I've stopped the logcat and unplugged the USB cable and it still isn't skipping or popping at the moment.

Elixir is also monitoring CPU usage in the background. I've opened the browser, now let me open Facebook and YouTube. Ugh, I can't seem to induce the issue, but while working on my car and the phone is idling, it'll pop and stutter a bit like it wants to put the hardware to sleep but can't (software power save).

Lol, it just skipped right when I posted this thread ... wtf?

4. Nyteravyn

Nyteravyn Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Has anyone determined for a fact, how many bands and in what order the headset jack uses? Are you commuting thru cell hand offs? What headsets are you using? Anyone consider the loss on the radios and changes in band width as users come and go?
    For those playing from sd card... Try a more approp class for media....6 our higher...

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

5. k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t Senior Member

Ratings:
    +114
    Current Phone Model:
    Z Force
    Honestly man, can't say I know for sure about the headset jack (though I've had theories it might be that as well), but just about everything has been tried or tested. Only card I haven't heard about being tested is a class 10. Maybe that's what the developers had in it and it works differently than others?

6. Wongway

Wongway Member

Ratings:
    +0
    See, all that would probably be a valid line of thinking if I didn't come from the original Droid, which had half the ram and a single core processor clocked at like 550mhz, that didn't have all of these issues.

The original Droid's included 16gb card was a class 2 Sandisk. Playing Media should not be an issue here at all.

7. gr8scott_o

gr8scott_o Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed, the speed of the SD card is a red herring. Class 2 works fine on other devices with less memory (OG Droid, DX). I have tried class 4 and 6 cards to no avail.

Someone somewhere mentioned that their media playing had no issues when playing thru Bluetooth, and now that I think about it I have had good luck in the car, but my drive is pretty short at 20 mins or so. I have a spare Blackberry Bluetooth Audio Gateway here at the house, I will take it to work tomorrow and see if I experience a difference listening strictly thru Bluetooth.

Anyone else have negative experiences specifically when connected via Bluetooth? I am talking media playback only here.

One thing I have noticed; hiss occurs only when I have Media Audio Effects turned on. Turn it off, hiss goes away.

I don't get popping much, but I have noticed a couple in the last week or so.

8. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Senior Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I listen to nearly all my music, podcasts, and audible books over bluetooth. Maybe that's why I've had so few problems.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

9. garywojdan81

garywojdan81 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    This is just my opinion & I am not a dev, but I think the popping has more to do with the processor than the available ram. I think its happening when the 2nd core ramps up while audio is playing. We had the exact same issues on the fascinate when custom kernels came out. When the processor would drop to the 100mhz freq. audio pops & skips would occur. The fix would be to lock out the 100mhz slot. We obviously can't do that yet, but maybe a dev could look into what going on with multitasking during audio playback. Another complication seems to be a processor that's faster than any other part of this phone, and we got a complicated aggravation. But at least its Bing-free.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

10. k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t Senior Member

Ratings:
    +114
    Current Phone Model:
    Z Force
    Just thought I'd give a little mini-bump to see if anyone has had any other thoughts or noticed anything that may have helped or made worse this issue? I assume when the time comes the boards will be flooded with solutions but...thought I'd ask. Strongly considering paying the fee to break my contract and just getting a Galaxy SII when it comes to Verizon...

11. bradleonard

bradleonard Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Here is my update. ... I am on vacation this week and we had an 8 hour drive to our destination. I knew that my DX2 would not be able to play music of any sort, especially Pandora. So we used my wife's iPod touch to stream Pandora through my phone using Wifi Tethering. This of course worked perfectly. This goes to show that the phone does not have any issues with data acquisition from the network, the problem definitely has do to with the hardware or the software implementation on the hardware. That is my update, nothing real earth shattering. Hopefully the people at VZW will come up with a fix someday very soon!

12. urphonesux

urphonesux Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yesterday I was on the radio. I streamed the entire show from 3-6 through the stock browser using the stations website and the only time I had a break in audio was when my phone would say DROID to let me know I was receiving texts. I also can stream pandora with no issues. I also played my music from my sd card for the radio host and programming director with no skips or hiccups

Search tags for this page
audio on droid x2 phone
droid x2 audio laggy
droid x2 fix sound
droid x2 line-in audio
droid x2 music player problem
droid x2 music problems

droid x2 sound problems

fix droid x2 sound
music playing but no sound droid x2
no voice sound on droid x2