Just ordered a replacement Droid X2. Is this a good idea?

in99flames

Reaction score
Everyone has a negative stigma about refurb. While sometimes they are crap....most I have had are really just as good. I have opened up plenty a new piece of hardware and had it defective right out of the box. It does not really matter, you can get problematic piece new or refurbished. I find that refurbs tend to be better on the success rate because they go through more testing than new phones. SO in a nutshell, no you did not make a bad choice.

OP
L

litetaker

Reaction score
Thanks all for your wonderful replies :D

I had a bad dream yesterday that my refurbished phone arrived and it was not so great... well, now I can enjoy my weekend! I initially sbfed my Droid x2 with 2.3.4. unfortunately I didn't test it thoroughly. I tried it for a day with all my apps installed, but I didn't try it without putting my apps in... with my apps installed and without doing anything in the background, I still had music stutters on a fresh reboot.

Anyway, I am considering that I got a bad phone to start with and praying the Almighty to send me a good one by FedEx! Lol :)

Thanks for the encouragement and all of you guys have a great Halloween/weekend (I hope that is how you say that, I am not Christian)

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
may you be strong when needed, with eyes open as the vail draws thin... Happy Samhain... And Winternights...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
I just ordered a replacement X2 today from Verizon over the phone. I'm hoping the replacement takes care of my Random reboots, I've tried everything to get rid of them, including factory resets and SBF.

I see some people don't have that problem on here, so im hoping maybe it was just an issue with my phone.

Trip3601211

Reaction score
Well I have two Droid X2's right now cuz I gotta send one back. Im on my charge for now. But I tried activating the first one that was sent to me n I had activation problems. So me figuring it was just that X2 I went to my other one. Did a fr on it and tried to activate and got the same problem: I heard a ring then, welcome to verizonwireless. Then I hear a beep...beep...beep like someone consistantly hiting a number on the dial pad. I hear nothing else but that...continues to try activatin but fails each time. And everytime I do retry its the same beep, beep, beep. Is my phone tapped? lol!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9qPY9ze44k&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

Trip3601211

Reaction score
So the only way to get past my activation problem from the link above was to do yet ANOTHER FR and touched the android guy before anything read on my phone to "bypass" the activation. I further went ro my phone, dialed *228, activated and everything seems fine. Still dont understand what that beeping noise was on the first activation screen though. Hopefully someone else will know and tell me. Most likely not though...

Sent from my DROID X2

OP
L

litetaker

Reaction score
Just got the refurbished phone I ordered as a replacement. I haven't gotten a lot of time to try it out, but for the half hour I tried, I played a lot of songs while doing reasonable amount of stuff in the background. It seemed to be smooth. Only on really heavy tasks, such as copying some 99 files totaling 411 MB from SD card to internal storage did the song playback stutter. It seems to be better than before. Though I didn't install any of my apps. I hope it remains as good with my apps installed, otherwise it is as good/bad as before in which case, why get the refurb! :blink:

But the only disappointing thing so far is that the refurbished phone's matte finish is visibly worn out at the corners above the battery cover (that is the corners of the bump below the camera and above the battery cover). It saddens me that I paid $199 upfront just over 2 months ago and at the end of the day, 2 months later I have a phone whose outside is worn out a bit. :( My own "new" phone's matte finish is in pristine condition, or at least the blemishes, if any are humanly unnoticable.

Is it okay and usual (i.e. expected) for refurbished phones to have worn out surfaces or not? Or should I demand a better one? (I personally don't wish to go through this ordeal again though).

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
Just got the refurbished phone I ordered as a replacement. I haven't gotten a lot of time to try it out, but for the half hour I tried, I played a lot of songs while doing reasonable amount of stuff in the background. It seemed to be smooth. Only on really heavy tasks, such as copying some 99 files totaling 411 MB from SD card to internal storage did the song playback stutter. It seems to be better than before. Though I didn't install any of my apps. I hope it remains as good with my apps installed, otherwise it is as good/bad as before in which case, why get the refurb! :blink:

But the only disappointing thing so far is that the refurbished phone's matte finish is visibly worn out at the corners above the battery cover (that is the corners of the bump below the camera and above the battery cover). It saddens me that I paid $199 upfront just over 2 months ago and at the end of the day, 2 months later I have a phone whose outside is worn out a bit. :( My own "new" phone's matte finish is in pristine condition, or at least the blemishes, if any are humanly unnoticable.

Is it okay and usual (i.e. expected) for refurbished phones to have worn out surfaces or not? Or should I demand a better one? (I personally don't wish to go through this ordeal again though).

This sucks, I really hope my replacement X2 isn't all beat up. If it is I'll most likely be requesting a new one, that's not really acceptable to me. The one I'm sending back is in near perfect condition so why should the one I get be beat to ****?

OP
L

litetaker

Reaction score
It is not very bad. The phone looks like new, mostly. The matte finish at the corners of the bump below the camera are a bit worn. It looks as if the phone got rubbed and the finish came off a little. It is only a small corner that is affected. Is this bad? Are replacement phones supposed to be like this or are they more or else new to look (without any visible blemishes of any size?)

Trip3601211

Reaction score
It is not very bad. The phone looks like new, mostly. The matte finish at the corners of the bump below the camera are a bit worn. It looks as if the phone got rubbed and the finish came off a little. It is only a small corner that is affected. Is this bad? Are replacement phones supposed to be like this or are they more or else new to look (without any visible blemishes of any size?)

I sent you a PM with the instructions I took in order to not have those beeping issues with the activation. You know I think that beeping issue has somthing to do with the FLASH of the phone. Every LNR is flashed before sent to the buyer. So this is my only guess...no one else has been able to tell me a legit reason so this is just my assumption. Hope my message helped you with that problem as mine is still running great with no issues and I AM clearly activated becuase theres no triangle, just 3G and my bars. Let me know if you need any more help.

OP
L

litetaker

Reaction score
I sent you a PM with the instructions I took in order to not have those beeping issues with the activation. You know I think that beeping issue has somthing to do with the FLASH of the phone. Every LNR is flashed before sent to the buyer. So this is my only guess...no one else has been able to tell me a legit reason so this is just my assumption. Hope my message helped you with that problem as mine is still running great with no issues and I AM clearly activated becuase theres no triangle, just 3G and my bars. Let me know if you need any more help.

Hi,
That helped... I have one burning question. So far, after half a day of testing, I feel that the replacement is better than my original phone... I did not have music stutter when getting an email or any notification. When I launch a browser, or any other app like the droidforums app, I dont have any music stutter.

Music stutter seems to have reduced while doing intensive tasks as well like going to "manage applications " in settings. But this phone has a couple of very minor blemishes on the matte finish below the camera on the back. So,.should I keep this or return this and keep my original phone?

Btw, can I activate both phones and test them one by one and make a decision?

Trip3601211

Reaction score
Hi,
That helped... I have one burning question. So far, after half a day of testing, I feel that the replacement is better than my original phone... I did not have music stutter when getting an email or any notification. When I launch a browser, or any other app like the droidforums app, I dont have any music stutter.

Music stutter seems to have reduced while doing intensive tasks as well like going to "manage applications " in settings. But this phone has a couple of very minor blemishes on the matte finish below the camera on the back. So,.should I keep this or return this and keep my original phone?

In my opinion, if you dont like the blemishes I would deff just call and say you had the same probelms, they'll send you another and if it looks better then there ya go. And yes, you CAN test it out just by doing the exact same instructions I sent you just wouldnt have 3G or service to call but you can use WIFI and test out apps, check for any lags or other specs. AND if you find that the new one they sent is worse then you can always send the exact same one they sent back to them. I've done it before. I've had 4 DX's and 3 DX 2's. Sometimes you get bad ones...sometimes you'll get good, or the perfect one. Good questions cuz I was wondering the same exact things when I was dealing with these "like new" replacements. Hope this helps your decision.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
Hi,

I use a snap on case so I don't see much of the phone anyways; but the replacement I got was pristine and works fine. No marks I could see either. If you aren't happy with the phone, call VZW.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
I got my replacement X2 yesterday and I have to say that I ran into the exact same activation problem that Trip had. Phone just kept beeping and would eventually disconnect. However, rebooting the phone and rapidly tapping the screen as the phone starts up will get you past the problem and you'll be able to call *228 and activate fine. When the droid EYE appears just keeping hitting the screen to make sure you get the android guy right as it starts up.

Thanks for the tip, Trip :icon_ banana:

Trip3601211

Reaction score
No problem. Im here to help anyone I can. Feels good when you know answers to others problems and can post them here on this great site. I was going to go back and edit my post and I am glad you had clarified that for me. Yes you CAN restart the phone and hit the android guy real quick too. As long as it doesnt read anything on your phone. There still is no logical explanation as to why it does that beeping sound on the initial activation screen. Maybe somthing to bring up to motorola or verizon. But again ill say my huntch is because the phone was "flashed" before sent to you, me and everyone else. Again hope this info from me and everyone else is helpful. I know for a fact I wouldnt know half of my knowledge on my android phones if it wernt for this site, so lets keep the help alive for these are what these forums are made for. Helping our fellow neighbors! :)

Sent from my DROID X2