A word about task killers and antivirus programs

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It still amazes me how clueless people at VZW stores are.

Yesterday afternoon I went to my cousins, sons 2nd Birthday party. After being there a bit, I was checking my email and my cousins brother-in-law comes up to me and says,"Oh, you got the droid too, how do you like it, have you figured out how to do anything cool with it?" I proceded to tell him some of what I've done, Rom,Theme, OC... and that I am on the RS here at DF. He seemed excited and told me that he and his wife both got D1's a few days ago. I told him if he had any questions to ask away. He asked why his phone sometimes freaks out like "there is a ghost in it" and why both phones had terrible battery life? I asked about if it was acting up when on a charger only and he said no. Then I asked him if Verizon put any software on your phone when you bought it? He said, I don't know, here look. So I looked, and sure enough the guy at Verizon store had installed advanced task killer and and antivirus onto both phones. I had him uninstall both from both phones and told him that, more then likely that will solve most of your issues. He was very thankful and hopeful that it would fix his problems.

How is Motorola or Google not telling Verizon that these programs cause more harm then good!?

I know this has been said before but...these types of programs are NOT needed on the Android OS.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
TL;DR: STOP USING TASK KiLLERS!

you may think VZW employees know what they are talking about, but how about go with what google (the producers of android) have to say
(i know its been posted a million times, but heres to 1,000,001)
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

for real, stop using them

uninstall it. use a task killer to kill itself. turn it off (if you feel the need to keep it). whatever works just so its not running

Same for anti virus apps, they arent needed.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
For every user spouting how WONDERFUL task killer are there are half a dozen to a dozen more saying "I'm so glad I stopped using it! I can't believe how much faster/better my phone is running and how much better my battery life is!" Listen to them, Verizon!

OP
Tallica

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Did it solve the issue?

Not sure, it was acting fine when I was holding it before uninstalling the apps.
He told me it didn't happen all the time. Hopefully it did fix it though.

They are the brother and sister-in-law of my cousins Husband, so I've only met them a handful of times and don't expect to see them again for a while. I did tell them to get in touch with me if they had any other issues (My cousin can put us in touch if needed).

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
unfortunately probably 95% of verizon reps have no clue what they're talking about. as a rule, if a verizon rep tells me to do something, i go out of my way not to do it haha

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
It still amazes me how clueless people at VZW stores are.

Yesterday afternoon I went to my cousins, sons 2nd Birthday party. After being there a bit, I was checking my email and my cousins brother-in-law comes up to me and says,"Oh, you got the droid too, how do you like it, have you figured out how to do anything cool with it?" I proceded to tell him some of what I've done, Rom,Theme, OC... and that I am on the RS here at DF. He seemed excited and told me that he and his wife both got D1's a few days ago. I told him if he had any questions to ask away. He asked why his phone sometimes freaks out like "there is a ghost in it" and why both phones had terrible battery life? I asked about if it was acting up when on a charger only and he said no. Then I asked him if Verizon put any software on your phone when you bought it? He said, I don't know, here look. So I looked, and sure enough the guy at Verizon store had installed advanced task killer and and antivirus onto both phones. I had him uninstall both from both phones and told him that, more then likely that will solve most of your issues. He was very thankful and hopeful that it would fix his problems.

How is Motorola or Google not telling Verizon that these programs cause more harm then good!?

I know this has been said before but...these types of programs are NOT needed on the Android OS.

Did it solve the issue?

lol.... basically, uninstalling the programs is the 'fix-all' like Verizon does when they install the apps. hahaha Not knowing if it actually fixed the problem is classic though.

The way I look at it at Verizon is it's their job to try and put the items on the phones. Calling them clueless would only be deserved if THEIR PERSONAL Droid also had ATK on it. I don't have them installed, but if I was there, and bossman told me to push ATK, then guess what.....

Verizon rep after Verizon rep has posted stories how their bosses tell them to (most complain about it). Cops don't always like writing tickets for seatbelts, or helmets <----if your state has helmet laws. it's not up to them to decide if a law is a good one...

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
but.... so I can educate myself on it.... I know why you don't want to use ATK's.... why don't you want to use anti-virus programs?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
because there are no known android viruses in the wild, in fact there are so few linux viruses in general its ridiculous. the few (i think less than 5 hahaa) that do exist have long been patched for.

an antivirus on an android phone is useless. what exactly is it protecting against?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Like hook said, it's a resource hog. Besides that, for a virus to run on a Linux platform (like Android), it would require root access to do anything.

Malware is something else, but that's up to the Market/Google to block, and the user not to install outside the market.

OP
Tallica

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[
The way I look at it at Verizon is it's their job to try and put the items on the phones. Calling them clueless would only be deserved if THEIR PERSONAL Droid also had ATK on it. I don't have them installed, but if I was there, and bossman told me to push ATK, then guess what.....

Verizon rep after Verizon rep has posted stories how their bosses tell them to (most complain about it). Cops don't always like writing tickets for seatbelts, or helmets <----if your state has helmet laws. it's not up to them to decide if a law is a good one...

I just don't understand why they push it though, they are free apps, unless Verizon is getting a kickback.

Qualis

Reaction score
Actually the task killer wasn't the problem I had the D1 mine did the same thing... I think it was an issue with 2.1 on those particular models.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App