A fresh take on the Infamous Galaxy Nexus...

Discussion in 'HTC Rezound' started by ThaSurgeonGeneral, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Hsunami

Hsunami Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yea i agree with that, rezound not being as loud as the OG1, but i believe that was with all devices compared to the OG1 on speakers. I picked up the rezound like 2 days before the NExus came out and i saw it yesterday....yea.....i dislike their menus key and stuff its just wierd. Half the time while i was playing around with it and was like where is the home button. Indeed nexus is a nice phone but i am likely my rezound alot better. I went in like friday to go cancel my pre-order (More of a heads up from VZW...) of my nexus too LOL Liked my Rezound alot more

2. cp24eva

cp24eva Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Played with the Nexus for a while. Great phone. As great as the Rezound. ;) the main thing that sets it apart from the other big phones on Verizon is the vanilla OS of android 4.0. It's a sleek OS. Not talking about transitions. Those are smooth too. Talking about over all feel. It's a new breathe of fresh air from the UI we have been using on moto and HTC and touchwiz. I can't wait till HTC gets it and graces us with it. Hope they don't crap it all up though. Maybe create some cool innovations from it. People will never admit that the Nexus is just about equal to the Rz and the Razr. But Razr screen ain't as good as the other two. That battery door on the Nexus is a POS. Hope you don't jave to take that thing on and off often. Great phone overall. Just not enough to sell my Rezound. The ICS will be ours sooner or later.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

3. RedTarget

RedTarget Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I will admit it... the Gnex and Razr are very similar! Aside from different versions of android and a different contour, the devices are near equal.

They are both thin and light. They are both smooth and fast. The battery life has been about the same and I can't give the nod in either direction. Signal strength has been better on the razr, but the Gnex performs just as well even though it is showing a weaker signal.

Using automatic brightness I have to say that the razr is brighter, even with the battery saver selected. When turning automatic brightness off and adjusting the sliders, the Gnex is just as bright as the Razr when cranked up... yet slightly dimmer at the lowest. Both displays have been easy to see in various situations with possibly a slight nod to the Razr in outdoor situations. I think this is due to the automatic brightness on the Gnex always being dimmer than what the Razr sets itself to.

I do like the build quality of the razr more than the plastic feel of the gnex. The battery door on the gnex will be lucky to survive 18months of use... but that's my opinion. However neither of these devices are bullet proof, even if Kevlar is present on one of them.

This comes from someone who actually owns and uses both devices. I could go on and on... but that's for another post on a future date. :)

4. ThaSurgeonGeneral

Ratings:
    +0
    Correction: I'm happy to admit that the Nexus and Rezound are like brother and sister (different, the same, better yet worse vs eachother all at the same time). The Nexus being the younger sister coming in sleek, full of new ideas, trying to avoid the older brothers last gen mistakes while making her own lane in life but not venturing too far from dear brother. It's just the Razr that can't join the immediate family...

The Razr is a different beast altogether if you ask me... It's got as many flaws as it does strengths. It's more like the badass cousin that can't stay out of prison that treats the family well but gives a stiff one to the rest of the world...

It's one of those phones that is fast, cutting edge and even good looking but you'd rather own something else...

My Rezound Rocks the Red n Black... Get over it... Now to get this thing rooted

#40 ThaSurgeonGeneral, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  5. leroybrute

leroybrute Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Buy it then. I have both and I disagree. The Nexus is not a pos, but it is not a working smart phone out of the box. Just because it has ICS doesn't make it equal or better than other phones. It doesn't make it better because it gets updates sooner and yeah it already got one. Thank god and I hope they keep them coming because it needs it! The data issues are horrible. My wife says its no better than her charge. Data drops and not staying connected. Blurry camera pictures. It doesn't get better battery life than the rezound and my wifes Nexus has a 230mah bigger battery! We tried the screen banding check and by golly up to about 50 to 60% brightness. She asked me why the screen takes forever to rotate. The browser is really nice but what good is it when she doesn't have a network or it doesn't handoff coming home from work. It will get better as updates come, but just because its running a cool OS and bigger screen doesn't make it a good smart phone. Get the bugs worked out and or different phone manufacturer then we can compare. I always carry the best phone in my house and it's the rezound. Out of box the best phone on verizon.

P.S. If you didn't mean it was as great as the Rezound than UMMM to the next rezound naysayer.

#41 leroybrute, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2011
  6. droid2drummer

droid2drummer Silver Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I truly believe the rezound has its strong points. Without the beats, its a great flagship as well as the Bionic and the Gnex and Razr. This is a fact, all four are top notch devices and one is no "better" than the other. Lol Thanks..
    Edit..By the way. The guy never said the nexus was bad as he just said the battery door was a pain. Which he is correct. But its still a competitor just not better.
    Quite Sharp indeed....
    Motorola Droid Razor...
    Peace!

#42 droid2drummer, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  7. leroybrute

leroybrute Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I know he didn't say Nexus was bad. I did though. Its not great! Until they get all the important fixes I don't consider it great. I would have a different opinion if I didn't have the rezounds and bionic to compare. When it comes to a verizon lte smart phone to me the best phone is the one that works and better in the important features.

8. droid2drummer

droid2drummer Silver Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I don't have 4g here. But I wouldn't say the phones are so much the problem as Verizon 4g lte as every phone they put out that has this capacity is having data drop and pause issues etc. So the phones by their manufacturer aren't the ones to compare on the subject of data. They meet the criteria and Verizon's lte is just still too new and needing work. Have you heard about any issues yet with Att lte? Maybe I will check on that as i do wonder....peace..

Quite Sharp indeed....
    Motorola Droid Razor...
    Peace!

9. leroybrute

leroybrute Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess I wasn't clear. In my house we have a charge, bionic, 2 rezounds, and a nexus that are 4glte. In and out of 3g and 4g areas every day. The only phones we dont have data issues since we bought them on Nov 14th are the Rezounds. Most of LTE problems I believe are mostly in the radio's and or software. Not just a verizon lte issue.

Question. Do you have a rezound or nexus, and are in and out of 3g and 4g service to compare with your Razr?

10. xaelith

xaelith Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Leroy, I wouldn't waste your time bothering to reply to droid2drummer's posts as they have a lot of the bitter fanboy after-taste to them. Not to say I'm not as guilty; I bought a Droid3 when my OG finally bit the dust, but more for the physical keyboard than brand loyalty (my fat thumbs have a difficult time with on-screen keyboards, Swype or no-Swype...or similar type-assists).

Thank you for your post, OP. It's a breath of fresh air to see someone post a reply on a new phone, and at least try to keep their bias out of it as much as possible. It's posts like yours that I look to to help me make my own purchasing decisions; I like to believe I've made such decisions on facts, and not someone else's flight(s) of fancy.

I agree that at least in recent months, Moto doesn't seem as focused on quality as they once were. I replaced my OG two times before my upgrade became available, and both times were faults of my own. I only used my upgrade because the last D1 decided to up and not be able to receive a 3g/1x signal one day, which could have also been my doing as I'd rooted it just days before, and may have messed with the wrong setting. Since then, I've had 3 D3s, all of them with quality issues. First phone was fantastic other than there was a loud, annoying, static-like hiss when in a call and not on speakerphone or using a headset. The second phone's touch screen would randomly decide to not work, and sometimes just as randomly decide to work again. I even had to go into a VZW store twice because the first time, the problem would appear when nobody was around, then disappear as soon as I got someone's attention. This third phone is a bit slow and stuttery at times, and while I have no definitive proof, I get the feeling the previous owner rooted it.

EDIT: just wanted to point out that the D1 replacements were over an 18-month period, with about 9-12 months before the first replacement. The D3 replacements have all happened within the span of 5 months, with the first being in the first week or two of ownership.

Anyway, just my two cents....or $0.10, I guess as it is a bit long-winded (sorry about that).

#46 xaelith, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  11. ThaSurgeonGeneral

Ratings:
    +0
    +1 Couldn't agree with you more in regards to Motorola Quality Control...

Thanks for positive mention... I try, I really do...

My Rezound Rocks the Red n Black... Get over it... Now to get this thing rooted

12. 1quickv6

1quickv6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OP, you and I are completely opposite as far as possession goes. I have the Nexus and I bought my wife the Rezound. Your poll is difficult to answer for me, let me tell you why:

Now, first understand that I'm a Tech Nut, Geek, Nerd, Overclocker, can't leave anything alone kinda guy. I knew I wanted the Nexus because it had awesome hardware and was pure Google. The day after I bought it, I unlocked the bootloader, rooted it, installed a custom kernel and a custom Rom (in my sig). I giggled to myself the whole time purely enjoying the experience. I watch my videos with a grin going ear to ear just savoring the display. I run AnTuTu benchmarking as I tinker, giddy with anticipation as the scores keep climbing (currently have a high score of 6123). I'm very pleased with my purchase and don't regret it at all. Sure, there are some things I miss, but I'll make due with what Samsung gave me. And ICS is so much better than GB.

Now on to my wife's phone, the Rezound. I bought her the extended battery w/ cover and a Extended Battery Hard Rubber Cases for HTC Rezound that really make it comfortable to hold in your hand. More comfortable than my Nexus. Her display is gorgeous and the fact that it has removable storage is really awesome. I know that I have 32 gigs of storage and the virtual storage is faster to access than any SD card, but the ability to remove and replace is still a nice feature of the Rezound that the Nexus doesn't have. Also, it's my impression that the build quality of the Rezound is superior to my Nexus. I just seems more sturdy. But my Nexus is not frail by any means. Oh, and I really like Sence 3.5. I'm actaually envious of it because it has features I wish my phone possessed and I didn't see it slowing the phone down at all.

We both have great 4G reception in our home and neither of us have any complaints in that category. Phone calls sound great on both ends. I've called her phone and vise versa to hear both. Both sounded the same in my opinion. Both phones take great pictures, but I have to give the nod to the Rezound at this time. I'm sure the Sammy camera will get better with software updates.

So which phone did I vote for in the grand scheme of things owning both phones?

The Rezound.

If I didn't like to tinker so much and the phone came unlocked, like the Nexus, I would own one too. Maybe someday the Rezound will get an unlocked bootloader and get perma root and maybe I will buy one used. Time will tell.

Interesting poll and topic OP. Thanks for reading.