A fresh take on the Infamous Galaxy Nexus...

xaelith

Reaction score
Leroy, I wouldn't waste your time bothering to reply to droid2drummer's posts as they have a lot of the bitter fanboy after-taste to them. Not to say I'm not as guilty; I bought a Droid3 when my OG finally bit the dust, but more for the physical keyboard than brand loyalty (my fat thumbs have a difficult time with on-screen keyboards, Swype or no-Swype...or similar type-assists).

Thank you for your post, OP. It's a breath of fresh air to see someone post a reply on a new phone, and at least try to keep their bias out of it as much as possible. It's posts like yours that I look to to help me make my own purchasing decisions; I like to believe I've made such decisions on facts, and not someone else's flight(s) of fancy.

I agree that at least in recent months, Moto doesn't seem as focused on quality as they once were. I replaced my OG two times before my upgrade became available, and both times were faults of my own. I only used my upgrade because the last D1 decided to up and not be able to receive a 3g/1x signal one day, which could have also been my doing as I'd rooted it just days before, and may have messed with the wrong setting. Since then, I've had 3 D3s, all of them with quality issues. First phone was fantastic other than there was a loud, annoying, static-like hiss when in a call and not on speakerphone or using a headset. The second phone's touch screen would randomly decide to not work, and sometimes just as randomly decide to work again. I even had to go into a VZW store twice because the first time, the problem would appear when nobody was around, then disappear as soon as I got someone's attention. This third phone is a bit slow and stuttery at times, and while I have no definitive proof, I get the feeling the previous owner rooted it.

EDIT: just wanted to point out that the D1 replacements were over an 18-month period, with about 9-12 months before the first replacement. The D3 replacements have all happened within the span of 5 months, with the first being in the first week or two of ownership.

Anyway, just my two cents....or $0.10, I guess as it is a bit long-winded (sorry about that).

Last edited:
OP
ThaSurgeonGeneral
Reaction score
Leroy, I wouldn't waste your time bothering to reply to droid2drummer's posts as they have a lot of the bitter fanboy after-taste to them. Not to say I'm not as guilty; I bought a Droid3 when my OG finally bit the dust, but more for the physical keyboard than brand loyalty (my fat thumbs have a difficult time with on-screen keyboards, Swype or no-Swype...or similar type-assists).

Thank you for your post, OP. It's a breath of fresh air to see someone post a reply on a new phone, and at least try to keep their bias out of it as much as possible. It's posts like yours that I look to to help me make my own purchasing decisions; I like to believe I've made such decisions on facts, and not someone else's flight(s) of fancy.

I agree that at least in recent months, Moto doesn't seem as focused on quality as they once were. I replaced my OG two times before my upgrade became available, and both times were faults of my own. I only used my upgrade because the last D1 decided to up and not be able to receive a 3g/1x signal one day, which could have also been my doing as I'd rooted it just days before, and may have messed with the wrong setting. Since then, I've had 3 D3s, all of them with quality issues. First phone was fantastic other than there was a loud, annoying, static-like hiss when in a call and not on speakerphone or using a headset. The second phone's touch screen would randomly decide to not work, and sometimes just as randomly decide to work again. I even had to go into a VZW store twice because the first time, the problem would appear when nobody was around, then disappear as soon as I got someone's attention. This third phone is a bit slow and stuttery at times, and while I have no definitive proof, I get the feeling the previous owner rooted it.

EDIT: just wanted to point out that the D1 replacements were over an 18-month period, with about 9-12 months before the first replacement. The D3 replacements have all happened within the span of 5 months, with the first being in the first week or two of ownership.

Anyway, just my two cents....or $0.10, I guess as it is a bit long-winded (sorry about that).

+1 Couldn't agree with you more in regards to Motorola Quality Control...

Thanks for positive mention... I try, I really do...

My Rezound Rocks the Red n Black... Get over it... Now to get this thing rooted

1quickv6

Reaction score
OP, you and I are completely opposite as far as possession goes. I have the Nexus and I bought my wife the Rezound. Your poll is difficult to answer for me, let me tell you why:

Now, first understand that I'm a Tech Nut, Geek, Nerd, Overclocker, can't leave anything alone kinda guy. I knew I wanted the Nexus because it had awesome hardware and was pure Google. The day after I bought it, I unlocked the bootloader, rooted it, installed a custom kernel and a custom Rom (in my sig). I giggled to myself the whole time purely enjoying the experience. I watch my videos with a grin going ear to ear just savoring the display. I run AnTuTu benchmarking as I tinker, giddy with anticipation as the scores keep climbing (currently have a high score of 6123). I'm very pleased with my purchase and don't regret it at all. Sure, there are some things I miss, but I'll make due with what Samsung gave me. And ICS is so much better than GB.

Now on to my wife's phone, the Rezound. I bought her the extended battery w/ cover and a Extended Battery Hard Rubber Cases for HTC Rezound that really make it comfortable to hold in your hand. More comfortable than my Nexus. Her display is gorgeous and the fact that it has removable storage is really awesome. I know that I have 32 gigs of storage and the virtual storage is faster to access than any SD card, but the ability to remove and replace is still a nice feature of the Rezound that the Nexus doesn't have. Also, it's my impression that the build quality of the Rezound is superior to my Nexus. I just seems more sturdy. But my Nexus is not frail by any means. Oh, and I really like Sence 3.5. I'm actaually envious of it because it has features I wish my phone possessed and I didn't see it slowing the phone down at all.

We both have great 4G reception in our home and neither of us have any complaints in that category. Phone calls sound great on both ends. I've called her phone and vise versa to hear both. Both sounded the same in my opinion. Both phones take great pictures, but I have to give the nod to the Rezound at this time. I'm sure the Sammy camera will get better with software updates.

So which phone did I vote for in the grand scheme of things owning both phones?

The Rezound.

If I didn't like to tinker so much and the phone came unlocked, like the Nexus, I would own one too. Maybe someday the Rezound will get an unlocked bootloader and get perma root and maybe I will buy one used. Time will tell.

Interesting poll and topic OP. Thanks for reading.

OP
ThaSurgeonGeneral
Reaction score
OP, you and I are completely opposite as far as possession goes. I have the Nexus and I bought my wife the Rezound. Your poll is difficult to answer for me, let me tell you why:

Now, first understand that I'm a Tech Nut, Geek, Nerd, Overclocker, can't leave anything alone kinda guy. I knew I wanted the Nexus because it had awesome hardware and was pure Google. The day after I bought it, I unlocked the bootloader, rooted it, installed a custom kernel and a custom Rom (in my sig). I giggled to myself the whole time purely enjoying the experience. I watch my videos with a grin going ear to ear just savoring the display. I run AnTuTu benchmarking as I tinker, giddy with anticipation as the scores keep climbing (currently have a high score of 6123). I'm very pleased with my purchase and don't regret it at all. Sure, there are some things I miss, but I'll make due with what Samsung gave me. And ICS is so much better than GB.

Now on to my wife's phone, the Rezound. I bought her the extended battery w/ cover and a Extended Battery Hard Rubber Cases for HTC Rezound that really make it comfortable to hold in your hand. More comfortable than my Nexus. Her display is gorgeous and the fact that it has removable storage is really awesome. I know that I have 32 gigs of storage and the virtual storage is faster to access than any SD card, but the ability to remove and replace is still a nice feature of the Rezound that the Nexus doesn't have. Also, it's my impression that the build quality of the Rezound is superior to my Nexus. I just seems more sturdy. But my Nexus is not frail by any means. Oh, and I really like Sence 3.5. I'm actaually envious of it because it has features I wish my phone possessed and I didn't see it slowing the phone down at all.

We both have great 4G reception in our home and neither of us have any complaints in that category. Phone calls sound great on both ends. I've called her phone and vise versa to hear both. Both sounded the same in my opinion. Both phones take great pictures, but I have to give the nod to the Rezound at this time. I'm sure the Sammy camera will get better with software updates.

So which phone did I vote for in the grand scheme of things owning both phones?

The Rezound.

If I didn't like to tinker so much and the phone came unlocked, like the Nexus, I would own one too. Maybe someday the Rezound will get an unlocked bootloader and get perma root and maybe I will buy one used. Time will tell.

Interesting poll and topic OP. Thanks for reading.

Lol! +1 to you! Yeah, I could see how responding could be a bit different for you ;-) Thanks for the response though. You're the first Nexus owner to even attempt it (next to my wife who has yet to post! :-(

I agree with EVRRYTHING you said here myself (including the giddiness of rooting and Romming) but I'm sticking to the idea that these are early stages and the Nexus has much more headroom for improvement and development then any other phone available at the moment. It's software even has the ability to be much faster and smoother comparably but time will tell...

It's gonna be nuts when Rezound gets permanent root though...

Thanks for the post...

My Rezound Rocks the Red n Black... Get over it... Now to get this thing rooted

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess I wasn't clear. In my house we have a charge, bionic, 2 rezounds, and a nexus that are 4glte. In and out of 3g and 4g areas every day. The only phones we dont have data issues since we bought them on Nov 14th are the Rezounds. Most of LTE problems I believe are mostly in the radio's and or software. Not just a verizon lte issue.

Question. Do you have a rezound or nexus, and are in and out of 3g and 4g service to compare with your Razr?

Lol...OK I can understand the hate replies from youth. If you truly read my replies I try to take focus off of who's phone is better. As its all opinion and taste. Also to answer your question, I own a business in smartphone repair and retail all of these lines. I am not a bragger nor do I have all the answers. I am and do post relevant replies when i feel that a good product or products are in drama due to flakes or opinions. Judging my character without knowing me is just what young hearted people do. If you need direct answers I will give them. I have helped more people than your opinions will ever amount. I do this because I enjoy helping. I normally do not take time to defend my posts or any kind of childish hate or name calling. Not that you did but just reading one stating "fanboy" just makes me laugh as much as the word "troll" childish...simply childish...lmao...

Quite Sharp indeed....
Motorola Droid Razor...
Peace!

Last edited:
L

leroybrute

Lol...OK I can understand the hate replies from youth. If you truly read my replies I try to take focus off of who's phone is better. As its all opinion and taste. Also to answer your question, I own a business in smartphone repair and retail all of these lines. I am not a bragger nor do I have all the answers. I am and do post relevant replies when i feel that a good product or products are in drama due to flakes or opinions. Judging my character without knowing me is just what young hearted people do. If you need direct answers I will give them. I have helped more people than your opinions will ever amount. I do this because I enjoy helping. I normally do not take time to defend my posts or any kind of childish hate or name calling. Not that you did but just reading one stating "fanboy" just makes me laugh as much as the word "troll" childish...simply childish...lmao...

Quite Sharp indeed....
Motorola Droid Razor...
Peace!

I thank you for calling me youth.:biggrin: You must have some years on ya. I never said you were a fanboy and feel your post is very childish and rude. I don't see any of your posts in this thread helpful, reliable or acurate. I am a fanboy though for motorola! Its to bad motorola doesn't have a smart phone that is as reliable and functions as nice as the htc rezound. Samsung needs some serious help though especially with the charge and Nexus. You may be in the cell phone repair business but I use them for business. I don't care if the phone costs 1000 bucks or a hundred, or is hyped or not hyped. The phone that works all time and fails me the least I use. I depend on that as do others on different levels. You may try to help but I try to be honest. Go check out the Nexus forums, the Bionic or Razr didn't have as bad issues. A lot of returns and ticked off people over on those forums. Engadget, phandroid, android central, verizon forums, my Wife.

Flakes and opinions huh...

Last edited by a moderator:

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thank you for calling me youth.:biggrin: You must have some years on ya. I never said you were a fanboy and feel your post is very childish and rude. I don't see any of your posts in this thread helpful, reliable or acurate. I am a fanboy though for motorola! Its to bad motorola doesn't have a smart phone that is as reliable and functions as nice as the htc rezound. Samsung needs some serious help though especially with the charge and Nexus. You may be in the cell phone repair business but I use them for business. I don't care if the phone costs 1000 bucks or a hundred, or is hyped or not hyped. The phone that works all time and fails me the least I use. I depend on that as do others on different levels. You may try to help but I try to be honest. Go check out the Nexus forums, the Bionic or Razr didn't have as bad issues. A lot of returns and ticked off people over on those forums. Engadget, phandroid, android central, verizon forums, my Wife.

Flakes and opinions huh...
Yes indeed!:)

Quite Sharp indeed....
Motorola Droid Razor...
Peace!

cp24eva

Reaction score
Is it wrong for me to be giggling over here about the many gnex users having random reboot issues? I haven't had Pee yet on my rezound. They thought it would be so perfect. I'm not laughing because it's a bad phone. Because it isn't. It's quite good. I'm just laughing because they thought it would blow everything else out the water lol.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

1quickv6

Reaction score
Being a Nexus and Rezound owner, I'm happy to report that neither phone has been plagued with random reboots. Well, at least none that have been reported to me by my wife (she has the Rezound). :p

cp24eva

Reaction score
Is it wrong for me to be giggling over here about the many gnex users having random reboot issues? I haven't had Pee yet on my rezound. They thought it would be so perfect. I'm not laughing because it's a bad phone. Because it isn't. It's quite good. I'm just laughing because they thought it would blow everything else out the water lol.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Ok, I TOTALLY didn't mean to put "I haven't had Pee yet on my rezound." I meant to say I haven't had a reboot yet on my rezound.

xaelith

Reaction score
Sure you didn't :p

At the time of its inception (about a year ago, I would guess), perhaps the stats DID blow everything else out of the water. Too bad about that slippery eel of an elusive dream called "the future" :p

EDIT: geez, some of my posts ARE a little naive, aren't they? Anyway, I read on here somewhere that the draw of the nexus isn't the hardware, but the shiny, brand new OS and a phone that can be modded straight out of the box on day one.

Last edited:

1quickv6

Reaction score
Anyway, I read on here somewhere that the draw of the nexus isn't the hardware, but the shiny, brand new OS and a phone that can be modded straight out of the box on day one.

BINGO!

If it weren't for those two features, I would also own a Rezound. Soon the Rezound will have an unlocked bootloader, root and ICS. That day will be Epic.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

xaelith

Reaction score
I'm sure it will. It doesn't look like Moto is gonna live up to their promise of unlocking the bootloader for the Droid3 anytime soon, so I may just use what methods are available right now and root it so I can use the internet on my desktop again...

LadyAries

Reaction score
So my husband (OP) has not left me alone about giving my 2 cents worth on my new Nexus, so i figured I might as well give it a shot. I am by no means a techie, used to be, but now he does it all for me ;) I am a graphic designer (and woman) so I base everything off of looks.

I love the overall design of the phone, the casing does seem a little cheap, but nothing too serious. For the most part the OS is user friendly and good to look at, but there are some issues that have increasingly made me frustrated with the system itself. However, many of these issues I'm assuming will be taken care of with further updates.

The speaker volume is a definite issue for me. I like to listen to music on my phone and it is significantly quieter than any phone I've had recently. Call volumes don't seem to be too much of an issue, but again, quieter than most other phones even on the loudest setting. May be minor (again, I'm female), but there are not very many pre loaded ringtones or notification sounds. Those available all sound like "sci-fi" soundbits to me, so there isn't a lot of variety.

The most frustrating issues I've run into with the phone is with the keyboard/on screen controls, and the phone dialer. Because of the proximity of the spacebar to the on screen home button, I am constantly exiting to the home screen by accident in the middle of typing posts, texts, and (matter of fact just happened!) texts. VERY frustrating, even if it is user error.

A lot of the features of previous phones I've had really simplified dialing out through providing many different ways to quickly access people in your contact list. The Nexus has cut a lot of these features out. For example, past phones allowed me to short dial people on my contact list (ie 323=will automatically pop up as dad). Also, unless I am missing something, there is no way to assign contacts speed dialing numbers without a third party application. I also find it very easy to accidentaly call people from my contact list because of how complicated the visual layout of the UI controls and shortcuts are.

Haven't used the camera too much, but it seems to do OK. I was most impressed with how fast it takes photos.

Because I am such a visual person, the screen quality is definitely an issue for me. My husband's Rezound screen seems to me to be more clear, however, the colors on my Nexus seem more vivid and saturated, although his colors seem more warm and natural. I am a little spoiled because I have recently had both the Samsung Galaxy and the Evo 3D, and each had amazing color and resolution quality.

I have had major issues with reception (although it might be due to tower problems in my area at the moment). I came from the Razr and I had great reception at work. With the Nexus, signal quality has been very hit and miss.

Overall, I like the look and feel of the phone. The proportions in my hand is more comfortable than most phones, and the build quality seems decent. I am really hoping that updates will fix the issues I've been having, and then I will be quite happy with the Nexus. There was a bit of a learning curve to get used to the changes in the OS, but I think once I get more familiar with using these changes they will become beneficial. Hope this helps in some way!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Snow02

Reaction score
There is a dialer replacement from cm9 that gives you t9 dialing. That's one of my must-haves too. But stock android dialers have never included it. If your phone is rooted you can replace it.