A fresh take on the Infamous Galaxy Nexus...

L

leroybrute

Dunno since I haven't used a Rezound my UI screams.. I'm happy... Glad your happy.... I'd be much happier if I could get my TF-201 :-\

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

I don't know, but I think I would break the law to have a TF-201! :icon_ devil:

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Since this is the Rezound forum, (and I don't plan to post this in the Nexus forum) I thought this would be interesting reading for Rezound owners and potential Rezound owners.

Eric M. Zeman, over on Phone Scoop, did a thorough review of the Nexus, albeit after one day's usage (had experience with another Nexus) here:
http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=9495
I
copied some of his negative comments about the Nexus (most were positive):

Like all Samsung Galaxy devices, the battery cover is an extremely flimsy piece of plastic. It's embarrassing, really, that this cover isn't of higher quality. It's not a problem to remove, but feels amazingly cheap compared to the rest of the phone.

As far as performance on Verizon's 3G network, the tests show it to be a below average device. It typically displayed fewer bars than other Verizon phones being used in the same location. The Galaxy Nexus didn't drop any calls, but data sessions ranged wildly from zippy to a full stop. [FONT=comic sans ms,sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Call quality with the Galaxy Nexus was not that good. The earpiece speaker produces fantastic levels of volume with no distortion, but the voices were often garbled and there was a consistent background hiss. Voices faded in and out, and I noticed a significant echo a few times.

The ringtones and alert tones can be set to incredibly loud levels, reducing the chances of missing a phone call. The vibrate alert, however, could easily go unnoticed.

Google has made a mess of the basic controls. As mentioned earlier, there are no physical buttons on the front of the Galaxy Nexus. Instead, three buttons -- which come and go as necessary -- appear at the very bottom of the screen.

I don't know what Google was thinking, but it half-maimed the camera software.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]What concerns me more with the Galaxy Nexus is the signal issues. Phone Scoop has confirmed with other reviewers that the device has a hard time connecting to Verizon's 3G/4G networks, and voice call performance and data sessions are choppy as a result. That's vital. [/FONT]

In spite of those negative comments, Zeman concludes:

The combined appeal of Android 4.0, LTE 4G, the Samsung hardware, and its status as a "Nexus" device will make the Galaxy Nexus a hard-to-resist phone for the technically savvy. For those who have "Gone Full Google," there's no other phone that matters.

Android 4.0 alone gives the Galaxy Nexus enough of an advantage over other Android phones that it makes the Galaxy Nexus the obvious choice (even if you go with the GSM version). Though a number of handset makers have committed to bringing Android 4.0 to portions of their lineup, it will be long months before that happens. Serious Android fans should ignore every other Android phone and pick the Galaxy Nexus.

In other words, as a phone, the Nexus stinks. As a pocket computer, it is outstanding. Does anyone use a smartphone as a phone any more? The phone part is my absolute first concern, and if the Nexus doesn't make the grade there, I won't touch it.

OP
ThaSurgeonGeneral
Reaction score
Since this is the Rezound forum, (and I don't plan to post this in the Nexus forum) I thought this would be interesting reading for Rezound owners and potential Rezound owners.

Eric M. Zeman, over on Phone Scoop, did a thorough review of the Nexus, albeit after one day's usage (had experience with another Nexus) here:
http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=9495
I
copied some of his negative comments about the Nexus (most were positive):

Like all Samsung Galaxy devices, the battery cover is an extremely flimsy piece of plastic. It's embarrassing, really, that this cover isn't of higher quality. It's not a problem to remove, but feels amazingly cheap compared to the rest of the phone.

As far as performance on Verizon's 3G network, the tests show it to be a below average device. It typically displayed fewer bars than other Verizon phones being used in the same location. The Galaxy Nexus didn't drop any calls, but data sessions ranged wildly from zippy to a full stop. [FONT=comic sans ms,sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Call quality with the Galaxy Nexus was not that good. The earpiece speaker produces fantastic levels of volume with no distortion, but the voices were often garbled and there was a consistent background hiss. Voices faded in and out, and I noticed a significant echo a few times.

The ringtones and alert tones can be set to incredibly loud levels, reducing the chances of missing a phone call. The vibrate alert, however, could easily go unnoticed.

Google has made a mess of the basic controls. As mentioned earlier, there are no physical buttons on the front of the Galaxy Nexus. Instead, three buttons -- which come and go as necessary -- appear at the very bottom of the screen.

I don't know what Google was thinking, but it half-maimed the camera software.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]What concerns me more with the Galaxy Nexus is the signal issues. Phone Scoop has confirmed with other reviewers that the device has a hard time connecting to Verizon's 3G/4G networks, and voice call performance and data sessions are choppy as a result. That's vital. [/FONT]

In spite of those negative comments, Zeman concludes:

The combined appeal of Android 4.0, LTE 4G, the Samsung hardware, and its status as a "Nexus" device will make the Galaxy Nexus a hard-to-resist phone for the technically savvy. For those who have "Gone Full Google," there's no other phone that matters.

Android 4.0 alone gives the Galaxy Nexus enough of an advantage over other Android phones that it makes the Galaxy Nexus the obvious choice (even if you go with the GSM version). Though a number of handset makers have committed to bringing Android 4.0 to portions of their lineup, it will be long months before that happens. Serious Android fans should ignore every other Android phone and pick the Galaxy Nexus.

In other words, as a phone, the Nexus stinks. As a pocket computer, it is outstanding. Does anyone use a smartphone as a phone any more? The phone part is my absolute first concern, and if the Nexus doesn't make the grade there, I won't touch it.

I agree with some as some of the points were listed in my review as well...

My wife is reporting less then par reception but at the moment, my Rezound is giving me similar issues. Couldn't conclude her phone was the issue so I called Verizon and had a trouble ticket created for my area. I'll report back on that in when Verizon calls me back.

The battery cover is indeed a very strong and thin plastic cover. I seriously don't think its an issue though. It's fairly difficult to remove and more difficult to put back due to the many anchor points between the cover and phone. Once its on, its on there pretty damn good...

I truthfully hadn't noticed any call quality issues while using it however I don't use the phone everyday, hopefully my wife can elaborate some.

Like I said, the camera is neither here nor there and I'm not sure where the responsibilty lies in regards to Googles OS or Samsungs Hardware... Though I'm leaning towards Google right now because Samsungs phone hardware has been great to my experience...

Maybe for some the vibration is not strong enough but I have not experienced a problem with this? Maybe there is just a Samsung Quality Control issue?

So, I do agree with much of what he said but I don't think the Nexus stinks as a phone but it definitely is a fantastic 4.65 inch tablet!

My Rezound Rocks the Red n Black... Get over it... Now to get this thing rooted

Last edited:
OP
ThaSurgeonGeneral
Reaction score
I also think A LOT of these issues will be corrected via OS updates...

cp24eva

Reaction score
I tried to play with a nexus in the store but some MF was hoggin' the device for like 20 minutes. I left.....not like I planned on getting it anyways. I just was shopping and wanted to see it for myself rather speculate of off stats. I'm sure the Nexus is cool. Of I didn't already have this wonderful device I would get the Nexus. HTC beat them to my money and I don't regret it. I'm actually proud.of HTC because when I had my bionic I told myself I'd never buy an android phone that wasn't straight Google. HTC got this one right mostly.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

mikeinctown

Reaction score
I gotta say, the Rezound, as a phone is far better than my OG was. My OG was ALWAYS putting people on speakerphone, hanging up, pressing keys, etc... the touch screen was too good. Somehow the Rezound so far is better for me as I can shoulder it. Plus the headphones allow non face contact.. Way better lol

And just to mak it about the Gnex... I wish the Rezound had a higher speaker volume for music and such.. Its way lower than the iPhone and even my OG. I heard the Gnex is a bit louder.

Hsunami

Reaction score
I gotta say, the Rezound, as a phone is far better than my OG was. My OG was ALWAYS putting people on speakerphone, hanging up, pressing keys, etc... the touch screen was too good. Somehow the Rezound so far is better for me as I can shoulder it. Plus the headphones allow non face contact.. Way better lol

And just to mak it about the Gnex... I wish the Rezound had a higher speaker volume for music and such.. Its way lower than the iPhone and even my OG. I heard the Gnex is a bit louder.

yea i agree with that, rezound not being as loud as the OG1, but i believe that was with all devices compared to the OG1 on speakers. I picked up the rezound like 2 days before the NExus came out and i saw it yesterday....yea.....i dislike their menus key and stuff its just wierd. Half the time while i was playing around with it and was like where is the home button. Indeed nexus is a nice phone but i am likely my rezound alot better. I went in like friday to go cancel my pre-order (More of a heads up from VZW...) of my nexus too LOL Liked my Rezound alot more

cp24eva

Reaction score
Played with the Nexus for a while. Great phone. As great as the Rezound. ;) the main thing that sets it apart from the other big phones on Verizon is the vanilla OS of android 4.0. It's a sleek OS. Not talking about transitions. Those are smooth too. Talking about over all feel. It's a new breathe of fresh air from the UI we have been using on moto and HTC and touchwiz. I can't wait till HTC gets it and graces us with it. Hope they don't crap it all up though. Maybe create some cool innovations from it. People will never admit that the Nexus is just about equal to the Rz and the Razr. But Razr screen ain't as good as the other two. That battery door on the Nexus is a POS. Hope you don't jave to take that thing on and off often. Great phone overall. Just not enough to sell my Rezound. The ICS will be ours sooner or later.

RedTarget

Reaction score
I will admit it... the Gnex and Razr are very similar! Aside from different versions of android and a different contour, the devices are near equal.

They are both thin and light. They are both smooth and fast. The battery life has been about the same and I can't give the nod in either direction. Signal strength has been better on the razr, but the Gnex performs just as well even though it is showing a weaker signal.

Using automatic brightness I have to say that the razr is brighter, even with the battery saver selected. When turning automatic brightness off and adjusting the sliders, the Gnex is just as bright as the Razr when cranked up... yet slightly dimmer at the lowest. Both displays have been easy to see in various situations with possibly a slight nod to the Razr in outdoor situations. I think this is due to the automatic brightness on the Gnex always being dimmer than what the Razr sets itself to.

I do like the build quality of the razr more than the plastic feel of the gnex. The battery door on the gnex will be lucky to survive 18months of use... but that's my opinion. However neither of these devices are bullet proof, even if Kevlar is present on one of them.

This comes from someone who actually owns and uses both devices. I could go on and on... but that's for another post on a future date. :)

OP
ThaSurgeonGeneral
Reaction score
Played with the Nexus for a while. Great phone. As great as the Rezound. ;) the main thing that sets it apart from the other big phones on Verizon is the vanilla OS of android 4.0. It's a sleek OS. Not talking about transitions. Those are smooth too. Talking about over all feel. It's a new breathe of fresh air from the UI we have been using on moto and HTC and touchwiz. I can't wait till HTC gets it and graces us with it. Hope they don't crap it all up though. Maybe create some cool innovations from it. People will never admit that the Nexus is just about equal to the Rz and the Razr. But Razr screen ain't as good as the other two. That battery door on the Nexus is a POS. Hope you don't jave to take that thing on and off often. Great phone overall. Just not enough to sell my Rezound. The ICS will be ours sooner or later.

Correction: I'm happy to admit that the Nexus and Rezound are like brother and sister (different, the same, better yet worse vs eachother all at the same time). The Nexus being the younger sister coming in sleek, full of new ideas, trying to avoid the older brothers last gen mistakes while making her own lane in life but not venturing too far from dear brother. It's just the Razr that can't join the immediate family...

The Razr is a different beast altogether if you ask me... It's got as many flaws as it does strengths. It's more like the badass cousin that can't stay out of prison that treats the family well but gives a stiff one to the rest of the world...

It's one of those phones that is fast, cutting edge and even good looking but you'd rather own something else...

Last edited:
L

leroybrute

Buy it then. I have both and I disagree. The Nexus is not a pos, but it is not a working smart phone out of the box. Just because it has ICS doesn't make it equal or better than other phones. It doesn't make it better because it gets updates sooner and yeah it already got one. Thank god and I hope they keep them coming because it needs it! The data issues are horrible. My wife says its no better than her charge. Data drops and not staying connected. Blurry camera pictures. It doesn't get better battery life than the rezound and my wifes Nexus has a 230mah bigger battery! We tried the screen banding check and by golly up to about 50 to 60% brightness. She asked me why the screen takes forever to rotate. The browser is really nice but what good is it when she doesn't have a network or it doesn't handoff coming home from work. It will get better as updates come, but just because its running a cool OS and bigger screen doesn't make it a good smart phone. Get the bugs worked out and or different phone manufacturer then we can compare. I always carry the best phone in my house and it's the rezound. Out of box the best phone on verizon.

P.S. If you didn't mean it was as great as the Rezound than UMMM to the next rezound naysayer.

Last edited by a moderator:

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Buy it then. I have both and I disagree. The Nexus is not a pos, but it is not a working smart phone out of the box. Just because it has ICS doesn't make it equal or better than other phones. It doesn't make it better because it gets updates sooner and yeah it already got one. Thank god and I hope they keep them coming because it needs it! The data issues are horrible. My wife says its no better than her charge. Data drops and not staying connected. Blurry camera pictures. It doesn't get better battery life than the rezound and my wifes Nexus has a 230mah bigger battery! We tried the screen banding check and by golly up to about 50 to 60% brightness. She asked me why the screen takes forever to rotate. The browser is really nice but what good is it when she doesn't have a network or it doesn't handoff coming home from work. It will get better as updates come, but just because its running a cool OS and bigger screen doesn't make it a good smart phone. Get the bugs worked out and or different phone manufacturer then we can compare. I always carry the best phone in my house and it's the rezound. Out of box the best phone on verizon.

P.S. If you didn't mean it was as great as the Rezound than UMMM to the next rezound naysayer.
I truly believe the rezound has its strong points. Without the beats, its a great flagship as well as the Bionic and the Gnex and Razr. This is a fact, all four are top notch devices and one is no "better" than the other. Lol Thanks..
Edit..By the way. The guy never said the nexus was bad as he just said the battery door was a pain. Which he is correct. But its still a competitor just not better.
Quite Sharp indeed....
Motorola Droid Razor...
Peace!

Last edited:
L

leroybrute

I truly believe the rezound has its strong points. Without the beats, its a great flagship as well as the Bionic and the Gnex and Razr. This is a fact, all four are top notch devices and one is no "better" than the other. Lol Thanks..
Edit..By the way. The guy never said the nexus was bad as he just said the battery door was a pain. Which he is correct. But its still a competitor just not better.
Quite Sharp indeed....
Motorola Droid Razor...
Peace!

I know he didn't say Nexus was bad. I did though. Its not great! Until they get all the important fixes I don't consider it great. I would have a different opinion if I didn't have the rezounds and bionic to compare. When it comes to a verizon lte smart phone to me the best phone is the one that works and better in the important features.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't have 4g here. But I wouldn't say the phones are so much the problem as Verizon 4g lte as every phone they put out that has this capacity is having data drop and pause issues etc. So the phones by their manufacturer aren't the ones to compare on the subject of data. They meet the criteria and Verizon's lte is just still too new and needing work. Have you heard about any issues yet with Att lte? Maybe I will check on that as i do wonder....peace..

Quite Sharp indeed....
Motorola Droid Razor...
Peace!

L

leroybrute

I don't have 4g here. But I wouldn't say the phones are so much the problem as Verizon 4g lte as every phone they put out that has this capacity is having data drop and pause issues etc. So the phones by their manufacturer aren't the ones to compare on the subject of data. They meet the criteria and Verizon's lte is just still too new and needing work. Have you heard about any issues yet with Att lte? Maybe I will check on that as i do wonder....peace..

Quite Sharp indeed....
Motorola Droid Razor...
Peace!

I guess I wasn't clear. In my house we have a charge, bionic, 2 rezounds, and a nexus that are 4glte. In and out of 3g and 4g areas every day. The only phones we dont have data issues since we bought them on Nov 14th are the Rezounds. Most of LTE problems I believe are mostly in the radio's and or software. Not just a verizon lte issue.

Question. Do you have a rezound or nexus, and are in and out of 3g and 4g service to compare with your Razr?