2.1 wants to install_how do I stop it?

arcitek

Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased my motorola droid about 35 days ago. Back then, I posted about rooting my droid and forumn members said wait the first 30 to see if the phone is okay and you still want to root. Like many other, I woke up this morning to see that my phone recieved 2.1 and wants me to install but the features do not interest me since I have apps that already deal many of them. How do I not install this thing and not receive any messages? I am still thinking of rooting, never did it, but I think I am going to give it a go. What "stock" programs will I not have anymore once I root?

OP
A

arcitek

Reaction score
Thanks and nice site. With some of the stuff I read there, would you suggest rooting 2.01 or waiting for the 2.1 rooted rom at this point? It says on the site that too many of the ROMS are still buggy which is why he has not posted walk-thru guides. I am not mobile phone wiz at all so I wanted to get a good guide to understand how to do this as I am sure I will eff this up.

lockman

Reaction score
2.1 based ROMS are not buggy at all. Go ahead and root, using SroidMod is the easiest way. From there, I'd recommend spending $4.00, and getting ROM Manager. From that app, you can install CyanogenMod, Ultimate Droid, or Bugless Beast and get OTA updates of these ROMS. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

OP
A

arcitek

Reaction score
So 2.1 based ROMS are available now? I hope you had a typo there or I am confused by what I read on KIZWarrior's linked page. I there a step-by-step guide you would suggest that walks me through getting my phone from stock to a finished Rooted Droid with BB on it? I have seen some but I thought I would ask if there is a preferred walk-thru guide out there.

Thanks!

OP
A

arcitek

Reaction score
Thanks for your effort. Again thought, are we talking 2.1 mod or 2.01? I am trying to make sure because people are saying there is not root access with the 2.1 upgrade....yet. I am assuming you are meaning that I am doing the mod that has been out there for awhile for the motorola droid.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your effort. Again thought, are we talking 2.1 mod or 2.01? I am trying to make sure because people are saying there is not root access with the 2.1 upgrade....yet. I am assuming you are meaning that I am doing the mod that has been out there for awhile for the motorola droid.

There are plenty of very stable 2.1 ROMs out there. My personal rec is Pete's BB
As to ROM manager ect. I recommend that you use the method on RootYourDroid for at least your first ROM and a few tweaks. That way you'll have an idea of what ROM Manager or DM updater is doing (i.e. what's going on in the background) and how to address issues you might run into. They are good tools for lazy people (or people that feel the need to flash a new ROM daily...) but lead to too many "help I screwed up my phone" threads because if/when something goes wrong the users have no idea where to start because they don't understand the basics of hacking/modding phone.

arcazx

Reaction score
OTA Notification

So, I don't want to upgrade to the official 2.l yet and I supposedly had ota updates blocked but this morning, and it shows up every time I unlock my phone, I get the "System Update" notification asking to install now, later, or more info. Anyone know how to stop it from asking? getting a little annoying

Guchi

Reaction score
not 100% sure but if you mount the sd card and delete the update.zip it wont prompt you anymore. someone correct me if thats wrong

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just upgrade lol

Or install a custom ROM through recovery that you know blocks OTA's, or flash a 2.1 ROM

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

arcazx

Reaction score
So, I don't want to upgrade to the official 2.l yet and I supposedly had ota updates blocked but this morning, and it shows up every time I unlock my phone, I get the "System Update" notification asking to install now, later, or more info. Anyone know how to stop it from asking? getting a little annoying

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/34769-2-1-ota-notification.html

There you go!

I had done that process, still get the notification. Like my current rom with overclocked kernel (after looking it seems that no overclock kernels avail for the cur 2.1 firmware yet) deleted the update.zip in root of sd card prior to initial post :(