For all those rooted droids wanting 2.1

theguy386

Reaction score
So of course we all want the new 2.1 update and instead of busting our heads trying to figure out "should I risk root, how can I update, blah blah blah..."

I have 2.1 ROOTED on my Droid right now and it works like a charm :D

just go to the market
-download "ROM manager" (yes, its free)
-select to Download ROM
-Stock Images
-Verizon Droid 2.1 STOCK (Stable, Radio, Rooted!)

it only took me about 10 minutes for the whole process

ldimick

Reaction score
So of course we all want the new 2.1 update and instead of busting our heads trying to figure out "should I risk root, how can I update, blah blah blah..."

just go to the market
-select to Download ROM
-Stock Images

So you still have ROOT with a stock image? How does that work? What else are you running? Ultimate Droid?

wil318466

Reaction score

just go to the market
-select to Download ROM
-Stock Images

Umm, we've had 2.1 for a week now bro.

-Wil

ldimick

Reaction score

just go to the market
-select to Download ROM
-Stock Images

Umm, we've had 2.1 for a week now bro.

-Wil

Sort of. I want the ERE81

OP
T

theguy386

Reaction score
not running anything else... apparently this stock image keeps your root when updating with the ROM manager

rda990

Reaction score
Why won't it work with SPRecovery? :( WTF is ClockworkMod Recovery?? (Ive had it before just like SPRecovery better) Is there a way to do this without flashing to that ClockworkMod Recovery?

rda990

Reaction score
not running anything else... apparently this stock image keeps your root when updating with the ROM manager

I have SPRecovery right now (Not running anything) just rooted...if i install ClockworkMod Recovery and install 2.1 Rooted from Rom Manager do you think i can use DM Updater and install SPRecovery on the 2.1 rooted?

Grey Hawk

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe they got this already. My bet is its ese53 just with some altered text to say 81.

jimnutt

Reaction score
There are two kinds of ROM images that can be flashed, signed and unsigned. Signed images basically come from Verizon or Motorola, anyone can create an unsigned image. One of the steps to unlocking the Droid was to create a bootloader that would flash unsigned images. Once that was done, root is fairly easy as anyone with the proper skill set can put together a ROM image. What Pete has done is taken the released update.zip, taken it apart, added root access (via sudo) and then reassembled it. His new version is unsigned, so it can't be loaded with a stock bootloader, but can be loaded by anyone who's already rooted their phone.
Having said that, rooting 2.1 that's already installed on a phone is a horse of a different color and is probably going to take longer (possibly significantly). I'd suggest that if you want root on your phone (or think you will), start with 2.0.1, put on an unsigned boot loader and then flash pete's 2.1, but do not install the official update, as it will lock the door on you.

clk55r1d3h

Reaction score
Thats what I did and it's awesome still have my overclock, root access, wifi tethering(haven't tested it yet) and all the other good stuff...I love it thanks to pete...

Only one concern is the alarm clock didn't change for the 2.1 and I don't feel like redoing everything...