2.1 Update

RolandOG

Reaction score
My Droid is running great. I'm in no hurry or need for an update.
No hurry here either, but I'd be lying to say I don't want some new stuff :)
heck yea, i want that new gallery, and im hoping they come up with a better facebook app. and hopefully more homescreens and whatnot

Are there any rumors regarding homescreens being added? I'd love 2-4 more. I know there are other apps like Home, Panda, etc but I'm sticking with stock for the time being.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are there any rumors regarding homescreens being added? I'd love 2-4 more. I know there are other apps like Home, Panda, etc but I'm sticking with stock for the time being.

The video I saw of 2.1 on the Droid said 6 screens, but most posts are saying 2 more for a total of 5.

Laurence5905

Reaction score

The video I saw of 2.1 on the Droid said 6 screens, but most posts are saying 2 more for a total of 5.

I've not seen a vid showing 6 screens -- can you post a link to it? (Not doubting you, man, just curious to see it.)

Every post I've read, so far, has said we'll have 5 screens built-in to 2.1.

For me, personally, my Droid is running so well right now that I'm concerned about screwing things up with an app like Home++ or Panda... So I'm gonna stick with the stock number of screens for the foreseeable future. Ergo, I really want 2.1 to be released so I can get more home screens. :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My Droid is running great. I'm in no hurry or need for an update.
No hurry here either, but I'd be lying to say I don't want some new stuff :)
heck yea, i want that new gallery, and im hoping they come up with a better facebook app. and hopefully more homescreens and whatnot

Here's the link to add the new gallery to your 2.0.1 Droid, without rooting! http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/12650-leaked-android-2-1-gallery-app.html

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

I've not seen a vid showing 6 screens -- can you post a link to it? (Not doubting you, man, just curious to see it.)

For me, personally, my Droid is running so well right now that I'm concerned about screwing things up with an app like Home++ or Panda... So I'm gonna stick with the stock number of screens for the foreseeable future. Ergo, I really want 2.1 to be released so I can get more home screens. :)

Yup just 5 screens and runs slightly laggy, but nothing killer...

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

The video is at Stable Android 2.1 hacked onto Droid, speeds through those extra home screens -- Engadget He says 6, at any rate.

Last edited:

nyyfan

Reaction score
that "slightly laggy" might go away when an update is officially released instead of the bootleg porting that people have done

RolandOG

Reaction score

That's my thinking as well.

Zac7

Reaction score
I have the launcher2 installed on my nonrooted droid and it gives you five screens like aaf was saying. It is a real nice new look and I have the gallery and music app both work for me flawlessly.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
that "slightly laggy" might go away when an update is officially released instead of the bootleg porting that people have done

I agree. At least I'm hoping that will be the case. The 2.1 that people are using is, if I'm understanding correctly, optimized for the Nexus One hardware. An "official release" of 2.1 for the Droid should contain optimizations for Droid's hardware, so the lag-problem will (again, hopefully) go away when it's officially released.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

I agree. At least I'm hoping that will be the case. The 2.1 that people are using is, if I'm understanding correctly, optimized for the Nexus One hardware. An "official release" of 2.1 for the Droid should contain optimizations for Droid's hardware, so the lag-problem will (again, hopefully) go away when it's officially released.

Thinking the same also......I did it just to do it...lol

dpw2atox

Reaction score
I am hopeful that the official 2.1 release for the Droid will have some optimizations to use the Droids GPU instead of CPU for things such as live wallpapers. If this happens, i can see the performance of 2.1 on the Droid greatly increase.

By the looks of it, 2.1 will be released within the next few days (5th?) along side the Nexus One but I expect the delay of a Droid release (22nd?) due to the Droid specific updates such as new drivers, hopefully bluetooth voice dialing, optimizations, etc but right now it is all speculation.

Bucknell2013

Reaction score
I upgraded to 2.1 the other night and after a day, restored my device with my old 2.0.1 nandroid backup. The UI enhancements in 2.1 are beautiful and I found the overall experience to be cool!...For about a day. Because it was optimized for the Nexus One it was definitely not running as smooth as it probably will when it comes to the droid. A few people have already speculated that the 2.1 update for the Droid will be optimized for the Droid--I find this to be logical. Seeing as this is a Google Experience device, and the fact that it is selling well, we will continue to see support for a while.

The rumor is sometime in late January, and I am inclined to believe that rumor because that date was mentioned in previously leaked Verizon documents (correct me if I am wrong on this one...I remember seeing multiple pages of info near the beginning of Droid Forums.net)

2.1 is very cool and it will be even better when a Droid optimized version is here :).

For the time being, I am Loving my droid being back on 2.0.1! I'm sure we will all be staring at some of those cool Live Wallpapers sometime before May.

jkayner

Reaction score
I was at the verizon store getting my phone repaced I asked if they knew when the next update was coming out and they told me march or april, hopefully they are not right.