2.1 hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPirate

Reaction score
It is from 2.01 to 2.1 not much should be expected..... now 2.1 to 3 :eek:

ljprevo

Reaction score
It may have been said, but some of us don't have time to read EVERY single post on here.

stdesign

Reaction score
About the home screens: My stock Droid had HelixLauncher (the first one) installed and configured for 5 screens before the 2.1 update; no FC's or problems at all. I left H/L that way when I did the manual update today and, after the reboot, all is well on my Droid; live w/p's and all. No lag. No muss. No fuss. Possibly tomorrow will bring new pains, but I hope not ;) .

About the 2.1 update hype: Yeah, I'd imagine that those who rooted 2.01, or installed HelixLauncher like me haven't noticed anything earth-shaking in terms of features and improvements. I'm more excited about the next Android release (Froyo), and less fragmentation because of OS versions/phone-specific interfaces/non-matching features of the same version (like what they just did with the Droid version of 2.1, versus the Nexus 1 version :icon_ nono2: ) .

Last edited:

Cowpoke

Reaction score
A big reason 2.1 is kinda meh is that over the last 2 months a lot of the stuff that came with it have been ported out as downloadables. If we had not been able to download the pinchzoom maps, milestone browser, news and weather, the 3d gallery app we would be a lot more impressed.

2.1 IS a pretty nice upgrade from 2.01, its just that most of us (even non rooted) already had 90% of 2.1 installed for weeks now ;-)

I've been looking forward to it because I figured I'd wait until 2.1 came out to root and overclock. Didn't want to hassle with rooting then unrooting to get the update, then sit around bummed until they rooted 2.1, then root again. Now I'm ready to start the rooting fun since I'm betting it will be a LONG while until the next OS upgrade.

Chilazr

Reaction score
I hope they fixed the issue with the sensors due to long sideburns during a call causing you to hangup, punch buttons, turn on apps, etc.

Dude, are you joking? If not, what are your sideburns made of/where are you holding your phone? The light sensor is so close to the speaker that it should be covered by your ear, no matter which ear you use.

ShowTime

Reaction score
I hope they fixed the issue with the sensors due to long sideburns during a call causing you to hangup, punch buttons, turn on apps, etc.

Dude, are you joking? If not, what are your sideburns made of/where are you holding your phone? The light sensor is so close to the speaker that it should be covered by your ear, no matter which ear you use.

There have been numerous posts of users with long hair and/or significant sideburns having issues with their proximity sensors....

And I'm still patiently and anxiously awaiting my 2.1. Never got any of the ported 2.1 apps, not going to bother to force the update... so I'm looking forward to my live walls, speech to text, 3d gallery, yada yada yada. :)

Chilazr

Reaction score
Really? I have sideburns and haven't had a problem at all. Though I guess I keep them trimmed using a trimmer with a "1" guard. My bad.

ShowTime

Reaction score
Really? I have sideburns and haven't had a problem at all. Though I guess I keep them trimmed using a trimmer with a "1" guard. My bad.

No worries. Admittedly, long hair seems to be a far more common problem trend than side burns, but it apparently does happen.

Now back on topic... yay! bring me my 2.1 :icon_ banana:

pushdrops

Reaction score
no predictive text h/w keyboard with 2.1

my biggest letdown with 2.1 :

I was hoping that predictive text / auto completion would be avail with the h/w keyboard (same as soft keyboard) with the 2.1 update , not the case! :-(

any update on how to get the same auto completion - predictive text features on the h/w keyboard as the virtual keyboard?

thanks

p.s. - not only did we not get the above, the software keyboard now loses the COMMA " , " on the default screen - it's been replaced with the lame Speech to Txt icon !!! So you have to go into the ALT screen to input a comma (something i do alot, driving me crazy - keep hitting Text Input icon) - can't see anyway to return the comma to the main software keyboard input screen either...

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can turn off the speech to text in settings and get your comma back, or just hit number key then comma, no big deal.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score

Next someone will be complaining that their nose hair screws with the sensors...

azazin

Reaction score
Am I the only one who has access to 7 home screens on 2.1 Stock or something :S

P.S. I am being serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.