2.1 on the DROID - an early view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefshark

Reaction score
I didn't read the entire post but I'm sure everyone is *****ing about not having 2.1. I have a reliable source that said they are planning on pushing 2.1 to the droid 3rd week in March. Please don't flame me or ask my source. I can tell you my source is someone high up in the industry. Leave it at that. I know most of you are not going to believe me but just wait till the end of the 3rd week this month before you start talking trash.

Dark-V

Reaction score
I didn't read the entire post but I'm sure everyone is *****ing about not having 2.1. I have a reliable source that said they are planning on pushing 2.1 to the droid 3rd week in March. Please don't flame me or ask my source. I can tell you my source is someone high up in the industry. Leave it at that. I know most of you are not going to believe me but just wait till the end of the 3rd week this month before you start talking trash.

You do realize that this is probably going to be ignored not because you've got 8 posts, but because you have no solid proof at all. We've all heard the "I've got a guy who's somewhere that knows something." and just want Verizon to finish up and push the damn update out. If you're right, great, we get our update in 2 weeks. But I've stopped listening to all these "sources" a year ago when I had my BlackBerry Storm.

Also, just because you say "please don't flame me" already means you what you're saying will cause people to flame you. If you had reliable info, just post some proof. And an email from "your guy" won't cut it.

Himitsu

Reaction score
Guys, little question:
This update, when ready, will be delivered via the cell phone operator, like your Verizon?

Because I'm quite sure if that's the case, here in Brasil is gonna take like years after you guys receive this update.....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

You do realize that this is probably going to be ignored not because you've got 8 posts, but because you have no solid proof at all. We've all heard the "I've got a guy who's somewhere that knows something." and just want Verizon to finish up and push the damn update out. If you're right, great, we get our update in 2 weeks. But I've stopped listening to all these "sources" a year ago when I had my BlackBerry Storm.

Also, just because you say "please don't flame me" already means you what you're saying will cause people to flame you. If you had reliable info, just post some proof. And an email from "your guy" won't cut it.

Yes, I don't want to trash the guy even if he has 800 post, but I also come from the Blackberry Storm so I give no credence at all to these type of predictions. How many times did we hear over in Crackberry that exact same thing said.

And if you don't mind my saying so again the point of the thread really wasn't to "get everybody stirred up." We already have too many 2.1 threads to do that. We really were just trying to make sure that some genuine news we discovered was appearing in our forum so our members could be aware.

djstarion

Reaction score
well here's a question to pass the time.

say the new 2.1 drops, it has JIT/whatever/is otherwise super-fast, and has stable launcher/livewallpapers/5 screens/makes your coffee, BUT for whatever reason people realize it will be hard or impossible to root. would you get it?
definitely

alostpacket

Reaction score

say the new 2.1 drops, it has JIT/whatever/is otherwise super-fast, and has stable launcher/livewallpapers/5 screens/makes your coffee, BUT for whatever reason people realize it will be hard or impossible to root. would you get it?

Definitely, but this is highly unlikely. 2.1 will get rooted in a month (at most).

Tegamal

Reaction score

Pretty much the ONLY reason I rooted was I was sick of waiting for the 2.1 thing to drop. I do like being able to overclock to 800MHz (seems like anything higher just freezes my Droid), but that's about it.

I have 5 wallpapers with GDE /w Hero theme, StarField live wallpaper (which I wouldn't be devastated if I lost, but I guess may/may not be included w/ 2.1). I can use PDANet instead of WiFi Tether, I'm not crazy about the 2.1 launcher we've seen on Droid so far (if it didn't snap into place & scrolled faster, I'd be sold).

So, in a word: Yes, I would upgrade.

diverbelow

Reaction score

If it makes me coffee in them morning... oh heck yea!!! I would still get upgrade to 2.1. I also know that it will be rooted down the road.

MotoDroid

Reaction score

Yes, it won't take long to get root anyways, well alot less time than it did to get the update!:rolleyes:

MotoDroid

Reaction score

I'm not into flaming people, even if I don't agree / believe them. That said, I don't have a problem with someone saying they have a source and we are getting it 3rd week of march......I mean hey, what is it hurting really? I can ignore it, believe it, whatever.......but it's not hurting me. If the guy didn't post this and we do get the update 3rd week of March, and then he says "I knew it was coming then" we wouldn't believe that either....so it's kinda a lose / lose situation when you are the poster, but I personally don't have a problem with it.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yes, it won't take long to get root anyways, well alot less time than it did to get the update!:rolleyes:

That's what they thought about the Eris which has still NOT been rooted. Also the main issue if/when 2.1 gets rooted is whether or not you will be able to 'unroot' (i.e. return to stock). Unless it's changed recently the Nexus (which is 2.1) can NOT be returned to stock. This means that once you root it your only way to get a new phone if something should happen is to destroy the phone and go the insurance route (i.e. pay $89). There is no way to take advantage of the 1yr warranty (save for the CPU frying).

Besides, once the official OTA is out the chefs will use it to make even BETTER ROMs (and many of them are using a leaked version). So why bother with the stock OTA? You'll loose more than you'll gain (e.g. OCing, themes, removing stock apps, custom docks ect.).

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
My source says we will get 2.1 this month and that it will be delivered OTA.

He is never wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.