16gb or 32gb?

doublea500

Reaction score

wickedkae

Reaction score
I see a lot of people under estimating app sizes and future app sizes. I use my phone for all kinds of stuff, including games. Games are beginning to take 600mb+ per install. If you mix your apps, music, video/pictures, 16gb is insulting. When you start using that 1080p camera, bye bye memory. Pray to whatever god u believe in you are around something to dump your data into. 32gb is barely enough to future proof a device that is only going to be needing more and more space. The fact that this phone has no micro sd slot is insulting.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I see my phone more as a conduit to send the data elsewhere. I take the video to put it on FB or in emails ect.. I don't take it to keep it on my phone all the time. Sure some videos I like to keep on my phone, but I rarely look at a video more than once on my phone, so I can easily send it to my computer and remove it from my phone. These are easy steps to take to prevent maxing out memory.

sxm

Reaction score
I see a lot of people under estimating app sizes and future app sizes. I use my phone for all kinds of stuff, including games. Games are beginning to take 600mb+ per install. If you mix your apps, music, video/pictures, 16gb is insulting. When you start using that 1080p camera, bye bye memory. Pray to whatever god u believe in you are around something to dump your data into. 32gb is barely enough to future proof a device that is only going to be needing more and more space. The fact that this phone has no micro sd slot is insulting.

+1

When the OG Droid came out 2 years ago, apps were like 200-500KB avg. Now, they are 1MB minimum. A live wallpaper is like a couple MBs. Angry Birds is like 25 MBs. Two years from now, they will be in the hundreds of MB on avg. With the 1080p video recording and 720p playback, my videos for viewing on the device will be 720p minimum. Meaning files sizes will explode. Music is music and the cloud is not an option. When I take the subway which is underground (no clouds) I will not have a great selection of music to listen to when my memory is taken up with the OS, apps, videos, photos. Not to mention all the data space and extras these new apps take up. In one year you will have to pick and choose what to install just like my OG.

Wish there were more storage.

fivaxis

Reaction score
I have 20 gb of music, the 32 will just barely be enough. Can't wait for this phone, a 64 would be nice though.

creaky

Reaction score
I am going to be pissed if only the 16gb version is released. I can't see them going that route with the iPhone having multiple memory options.

My guess would be pricing at $249/$299 or $299/$349.

[witty pun concerning the current ROM and custom memory script on my device]

huskyhavok

Reaction score
well i agree 16 gigs isn't a lot of space. i know you can manage your sd card by sending pictures to your computer and what not but why would you want to? isn't the beauty of the phone having storage a reason why you got it in the first place? having to do extra work for your phone sucks in my opinion. and with all the movie watching music playing and podcast playing how do you guys have battery left over for regular calls? i think this sucker is going to have a crappy battery hence why there isn't any specs of the battery life yet. Think about it.... 4g and huge screen = no power for your music if you're walking around with it in your pocket. Verizon will sell the 32g for 300 unless they are still giving out 50 dollars back if you upgrade thus telling us we will be only paying 300 for it anyway. :icon_ banana:

mrmark27

Reaction score
I cant see VZ going with only the 16 gig option. My guess is, if they do offer both the 16 and 32 gig, the price points are 229 and 299, or something along those lines. Coming from my OG where i still have plenty of space on my SD card, i cant imagine the common user running out of space with the 32 gig model, just maybe the super extreme 1% userbase

prowler85

Reaction score
The cloud is an option, but how much storage would google give us? Is it already available?

I just got mine all set up just for the reasons everyone is talking about. I have 16gb of music with a 32gb sdcard in my Bionic (for 48gb total) and was worried that a 32gb phone (with no expansion capability) would be a problem.

Just go to google.music.com and you have to ask for an invite. Mine took about two days. Create your account, upload your music, get the app on your phone and you are up and running.

As far as storage, it's actually amazing what they are giving you. I looked at Amazon and a few others, but Amazon had the most for free at 5gb, which would mean I'd have to pay an annual fee for the extra. Google gives you 20,000 songs (with not nary a mention of how much actual space you get). My 16gb of music is about 2,500 songs, so I'm guessing they are giving me 124gb give or take.

And it looks like it's a great service. The app starts right up and playing (no delay), you can shuffle and browse, play by artist, song, genre, etc. You have to install a client on a pc to do the uploading, but then you can listen on the pc as well (only one at a time though).

But yes, you'd better have unlimited data for the service to be cost effective. As far as continuous connection, you can select artists, albums, songs, etc, to be cached for offline listening (or your entire collection I guess). So a continuous connection is not necessary.

All in all, pretty sweet, and alleviates my concerns about 32gb not being enough storage.

dstripedape

Reaction score
249 for 16 gb, 300 for 32gb, they know not 300 for a phone is the cut off. I wondering if there will be a 64gb down the line. By the way wondering. How much a used 16gb, 32gb card, and a good droidx will help on that price tag

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see everyone talking about how the LTE will bump up the price, but remember less than 5% of the country has LTE coverage. Sure verizon will brag about over half the population having LTE coverage, but once they move 5 miles, kiss that goodbye.
I don't see where a GE phone with LTE will command a price point higher than $299.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

kptphalkon

Reaction score
now, please clarify for me. Is that 5% of the country's population, or 5% of the country's land mass?

because to me that makes a HUGE difference in the definition of availability.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
They're probably talking about the phone having an LTE chip, causing it to cost more.

Materials don't really dictate the price, they simply charge what they know people will pay.

As for LTE coverage, I'm not sure, they throw a lot of numbers around, but I see them improving their coverage monthly and my area in NC is covered pretty well considering we're not a huge city.