16gb or 32gb?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Think of it this way.

Bionic came preinstalled with 16gb sd card and 16gb internal at $299 launch price. Charge came preinstalled with 32gb sd card and 2gb internal at $299 launch price.

If the Galaxy Nexus launches with 32gb internal, max price is going to be $299. 16gb possibly at $199, more likely $249. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't on board storage drastically cheaper than high capacity micro sd cards?

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Think of it this way.

Bionic came preinstalled with 16gb sd card and 16gb internal at $299 launch price. Charge came preinstalled with 32gb sd card and 2gb internal at $299 launch price.

If the Galaxy Nexus launches with 32gb internal, max price is going to be $299. 16gb possibly at $199, more likely $249. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't on board storage drastically cheaper than high capacity micro sd cards?

My thoughts exactly.

roboots21

Reaction score
Man, if they only get the 16GB model I'm going to be upset, I use my phone for music since it has bluetooth and so does my car. I have a lot of music and I don't think 16GB is going to cut it for me seeing as I get the best quality mp3s which means large file sizes.

Google Music.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Google Music.

Hmmmm, didn't even think of that. Good thinking but still hoping to score a 32GB model. At least I'll have an alternative for saving space if Verizon only gets the 16GB model. Thanks! :)

roboots21

Reaction score
Hmmmm, didn't even think of that. Good thinking but still hoping to score a 32GB model. At least I'll have an alternative for saving space if Verizon only gets the 16GB model. Thanks! :)

I just got finished uploading most of my music there. I installed the ICS Google Music app to my D2, and it works seamlessly! Be warned that you will want a dedicated PC to do your uploading as it takes a while. Took me 3 days for 5000 songs but worth it! :)

magnus

Reaction score
I just got finished uploading most of my music there. I installed the ICS Google Music app to my D2, and it works seamlessly! Be warned that you will want a dedicated PC to do your uploading as it takes a while. Took me 3 days for 5000 songs but worth it! :)

I have a question for those using the ICS Google music or any cloud based music player. I don't get it. Help me understand......you upload all your music to the cloud so that you can stream it from there? IMHO if you don't have unlimited data......data is MORE expensive than storage. why wouldn't you want to keep all your music local as opposed to possibly run up data charges for listening to your own music??

Plus there's the "how do you listen to your own music if you're in a bad signal area???"

Am I missing something?

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Why dont they just make it 32GB and charge $299 for it and be done with it?!

Come pre order time if I don't see a 32GB model I'm going to wait til the G-Nex is released at stores so I can go down there, have them almost set me up completely and at the last second be like "Oh, it's only 16GB of storage with no sd card slot. Nevermind I don't want this phone anymore." There's nothing worse than a sales person just about to make a sale and get that $$$ and then BAM, $$$ goes bye-bye. Then I'll simply say "I'll see you when the 32GB model is available." I can be so vindictive sometimes.

Last edited:

roboots21

Reaction score
I have a question for those using the ICS Google music or any cloud based music player. I don't get it. Help me understand......you upload all your music to the cloud so that you can stream it from there? IMHO if you don't have unlimited data......data is MORE expensive than storage. why wouldn't you want to keep all your music local as opposed to possibly run up data charges for listening to your own music??

Plus there's the "how do you listen to your own music if you're in a bad signal area???"

Am I missing something?

No, you aren't missing anything. For me, I pretty much have good enough signal wherever I got around me, and I have unlimited data so I am able to stream endlessly. I keep the same music on my iPod and my Google Music, but my iPod usually stays in my truck and it's one less thing to carry around. I am streaming right now through work wifi because the sound output on my phone is light years better than my laptop for some reason.

So I basically have a local copy on my iPod and when I don't want to carry that around I just stream to my phone. Plus the google music app caches a good portion of music and you can also make whatever music you want available offline on the phone. So I mean for some people it may not be worth it, but for me it is very useful.

Again, valid concerns but for me it works perfect.

magnus

Reaction score
No, you aren't missing anything. For me, I pretty much have good enough signal wherever I got around me, and I have unlimited data so I am able to stream endlessly. I keep the same music on my iPod and my Google Music, but my iPod usually stays in my truck and it's one less thing to carry around. I am streaming right now through work wifi because the sound output on my phone is light years better than my laptop for some reason.

So I basically have a local copy on my iPod and when I don't want to carry that around I just stream to my phone. Plus the google music app caches a good portion of music and you can also make whatever music you want available offline on the phone. So I mean for some people it may not be worth it, but for me it is very useful.

Again, valid concerns but for me it works perfect.

Ah okay.......Well, I'm in the same boat as you....unlimited data and good signal, so if this 16GB for 299 turns out to be real, that may be a good option for me......especially given that a 16GB phone will probably have much less than that for user storage.

Thanks for the quick response!!

Tas

Reaction score
Also, let's not forget about HD video recording. I don't know how much the files will eat up storage, but I am sure they wont be small files. If ICS/Nexus has time lapsed recording, one would have to leave the camera on for some time. That will eat a lot of storage. That and adding music will fill that up rather quickly. I would be very disappointed if only the 16 gig is offered.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Also, let's not forget about HD video recording. I don't know how much the files will eat up storage, but I am sure they wont be small files. If ICS/Nexus has time lapsed recording, one would have to leave the camera on for some time. That will eat a lot of storage. That and adding music will fill that up rather quickly. I would be very disappointed if only the 16 gig is offered.

From what I've read about how the internal memory is done on the Nexus 1, you dont get the whole 16GB's to use. Great..

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is the case with all phones and internal memory. Some is used for operating purposes, which takes away from the total.

Tas

Reaction score
From what I've read about how the internal memory is done on the Nexus 1, you dont get the whole 16GB's to use. Great..

Wow. Even better news. Let's hope and pray there is a 32gig version.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^Yep but it would be nice to have a whole 16GB's after the opertating stuff. Unless they have an sd card slot that is!