$150 Lapdock 500

Reaction score
Just wanted to update my experience.

After restoring back to a fresh stock unrooted, the lapdock works great. When I was rooted it was very slow and it just didn't play nice even though I was on stock. For me personally, being rooted gave a poor experience but now everything works great. Just watched Netflix with no issues and when I disconnected, my phone is acting normal. No more battery drain .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

Spoke too soon. Everything ran great on the lapdock but for whatever reason my phone still thinks it is connected and so the process keeps running in the background. If I kill it, it just strays up again later. Completely stock, not rooted so I cannot think of anything that will fix it for me. Last night I tested it out around 9pm and out worked great, disconnected, checking my phone and out was not running in the background. But this morning when I woke up, and took my phone off the charger, the battery drain was awful again so I checked and the webtop and dock services had been running since midnight. So three hours after it was off the dock it just started up on its own.

Very odd.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

mcsoul

Reaction score
I am loving this lapdock so far. If the RAZR had vpn, I would be extra happy. I'm not giving the pro's right now, I don't want to make those OOS folks feel worse :icon_ devil:

minor gripes:
I have some e-reader apps with magazine subscriptions that somehow are only allowed to work on Tablets, I wish that the RAZR would somehow identify itself as a tablet for tablet optimized apps since it has the screen real estate to run them. The front facing camera on the lapdock 500 is of poor quality compared to the RAZR's front facing camera (which rocks so whatever). Screen orientation can get confused but it can also be fixed by clicking around. It's hard to mimic some swipe functions like swiping through screen cap pictures in the app store with a mouse or the track pad.

pbickel

Reaction score
Just ordered a lap dock and I was wondering if the lap dock can use the phones data for internet like a laptop

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Just ordered a lap dock and I was wondering if the lap dock can use the phones data for internet like a laptop

Yes it does. It's the primary function of the LapDock. In fact unless your phone is connected the device does nothing by itself. With your phone it accesses the web through your data plan. In addition it provides a 14" screen to view your phone as well as the Internet through webtop applications. The device also charges your phone from its internal battery while your phone is connectd to it. The device also has 2 USB ports, a VGA out, a full SD card slot, a RJ-45 connector to a wired network, head set plug in and wifi, 3G & 4G connections.

Last edited:

mcsoul

Reaction score
DancingNexus They put out a version of VPN anyconnect that work with the RAZR!!!!

It also work with the firefox app in the phone, however it seems the lapdock "webtop" app
remembers the DNS settings from before the vpn connection. Any ideas on how to force it to
refresh?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Just checked my order status and it still sales in processing check back tomorrow. I imagine I will be getting an email saying they cancelled the order soon since they kick them out after 7 days. Makes me sad, I want to check this thing out.

mleber

Reaction score
Power on the lapdock

Does anyone who has one of these agree with this statement from the manual:

"Your phone starts to charge when you attach it, even if your dock is not plugged into a wall outlet." (page 6 of the included manual)

Mine looks to be charging my phone when dock is attached to AC but when I unplug, charging stops.

Thanks.

mcsoul

Reaction score
My phone charges (says connected to AC) a long as the doc is charged, the lapdoc does not need to be plugged in; it still charges the phone even when the lapdock is in sleep mode with the screen closed.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Wasn't impressed with lapdock's performance and sent it back to verizon for refund. Problem was that websites that didn't work on the phone due to flash using up all the memory, weren't working on the dock either. Since my wife likes playing flash based games on her laptop this was a let down.

mcsoul

Reaction score
Wasn't impressed with lapdock's performance and sent it back to verizon for refund. Problem was that websites that didn't work on the phone due to flash using up all the memory, weren't working on the dock either. Since my wife likes playing flash based games on her laptop this was a let down.

I could see that being a problem for some. I wonder if ICS will bring updates to the browsers' functionality.
For me the ability to use vpn (new razr optimized at the app store) without rooting and go to internal work
webpages (minimal flash support needed) far out weighs the bells and whistles. There are plenty of gaming
app options on android that do work for me.

mleber

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I think it was all about the lapdock power management settings. Once I changed the settings to maximize the phone battery life, it started charging the phone without the AC plugged in.

My phone charges (says connected to AC) a long as the doc is charged, the lapdoc does not need to be plugged in; it still charges the phone even when the lapdock is in sleep mode with the screen closed.

buck i

Reaction score
Regarding power management while running on battery alone, there are three power states (I don't have my lapdock with me at the moment; these may not be the exact names):
  1. Maximize Phone Battery - This option uses the lapdock battery to charge the phone and power the display. Phone battery should increase, while lapdock battery will decrease.
  2. Automatic - This option uses BOTH the phone AND lapdock battery. Both batteries will discharge until the phone reaches a charge of 60%, at which point the lapdock will charge the phone.
  3. Maximize Lapdock Battery - This option is similar to Automatic except that the lapdock won't charge the phone until the phone reaches 30% battery.
Hopefully this clears things up.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
too bad I didn't see this sooner, it's now out of stock and I've been thinking of getting one of these to replace the xoom I gave to my daughter.

mleber

Reaction score
Regarding power management while running on battery alone, there are three power states (I don't have my lapdock with me at the moment; these may not be the exact names):
  1. Maximize Phone Battery - This option uses the lapdock battery to charge the phone and power the display. Phone battery should increase, while lapdock battery will decrease.
  2. Automatic - This option uses BOTH the phone AND lapdock battery. Both batteries will discharge until the phone reaches a charge of 60%, at which point the lapdock will charge the phone.
  3. Maximize Lapdock Battery - This option is similar to Automatic except that the lapdock won't charge the phone until the phone reaches 30% battery.
Hopefully this clears things up.

Thank you! I figured out what each one meant but did not know about there charging at certain percentages. How did you figure that out? I am finding very little useful documentation for this product.