15 Year Fedora Linux user, questions about D2G and Fission Rom

stani

Reaction score
I have had my Droid 2 Global long enough that I can see advantages in installing the fission rom. However, it seems that the Team De-Fuse is not supporting it these days. I donated to them last night, and was only able to download Version 2.2.1 This seems to me to be an older rom, I did get FissionRomManager 1.2.4.apk. I guess that my question is, will there be future support for the fission rom from Team De-Fuse, and is there a current rom I should be using, rather than 2.2.1? I have the RSD lite installed, the latest Motorola Drivers, and the sbf as well, but I have done a few months of research, and am still hesitant to re-rom my device.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks for your replies......

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i think someone said that angdroid (team leader at defuse) was waiting on gingerbread to continue developing. take that at face value though because i haven't been able to confirm it. as for other roms, you do have the option of flashing a droid 2 rom to your global with the help of the get er done rommer tool, but that will leave you without certain functions.

OP
S

stani

Reaction score
Copy that, that is what has kept me from flashing a D2 rom, I know I want Fission, and hope to hear from D2G users who are happy with their D2G Fission install, and have some input. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yeah hopefully they come back soon. they were the only ones working on the global for a while and if i'm not mistaken they were the only ones to release anything for the droid pro, even though it was just a release candidate.

biknut1

Reaction score
Fission

Copy that, that is what has kept me from flashing a D2 rom, I know I want Fission, and hope to hear from D2G users who are happy with their D2G Fission install, and have some input. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

I have Fission and like it- most of the time! The newest version for D2G is 2.4.3 I believe. If you have the FRM (Fission Rom Manager) it should show up there automagically. Mine shows as the ROM, and then right after that it shows an update. Don't know what's in there, I just installed it.

Occasionally there are some hiccups with Fission, but I'd be willing to bet that they are as much the phone as the ROM.

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
HEY ALL JUST SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT I FOLLOW FISSION ON TWITTER HE HAS SOLD HIS D2G DEVICES A few MONTHS BACK & NEVER HEARD ANYTHING ELSE TALKED ABOUT ......

MY TEAM HAS A SECTION & WE HAVE A DIET FROYO BASE ROM OUT FULLY FUNCTIONAL WITH HICCUPS WE WILL BE PUTTING A KICKAS* ROM OUT AFTER GINGERBREAD LEAK COMES OUT

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
HEY ALL JUST SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT I FOLLOW FISSION ON TWITTER HE HAS SOLD HIS D2G DEVICES A few MONTHS BACK & NEVER HEARD ANYTHING ELSE TALKED ABOUT ......

MY TEAM HAS A SECTION & WE HAVE A DIET FROYO BASE ROM OUT FULLY FUNCTIONAL WITH HICCUPS WE WILL BE PUTTING A KICKAS* ROM OUT AFTER GINGERBREAD LEAK COMES OUT

sucks fission won't be releasing anything else for the global but at least they still have you guys. totally forgot about diet droid. i would say give it a shot, grd has already proved their usefulness to global users.

OP
S

stani

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, any words about your initial install would be greatly appreciated.....

60lpsdf250

Reaction score
I have had my Droid 2 Global long enough that I can see advantages in installing the fission rom. However, it seems that the Team De-Fuse is not supporting it these days. I donated to them last night, and was only able to download Version 2.2.1 This seems to me to be an older rom, I did get FissionRomManager 1.2.4.apk. I guess that my question is, will there be future support for the fission rom from Team De-Fuse, and is there a current rom I should be using, rather than 2.2.1? I have the RSD lite installed, the latest Motorola Drivers, and the sbf as well, but I have done a few months of research, and am still hesitant to re-rom my device.

I too have been a linux user on and off since about 1998... originally Red Hat then migrated to Debian/Ubuntu last year.

You must realize that this will void your warranty on your phone. Also, unlike linux where you can easily reinstall your system if you type in a command wrong that kills your system, you can completely ruin your phone to point where it will not function (it becomes a brick). Proceed at your own risk... I take no liability for your actions.

I recently rooted and installed Fission 2.4.3 on my wife's and my D2Gs and your familiarity with command line will be a great help in your endeavor to install Fission. We both love Fission. It is cleaner than the stock and we get somewhere between 12 and 20 hours before having to recharge as opposed to 4 or 5 hours with stock. It is stable and we haven't found anything that is a deal breaker (we haven't even found a bug). TeamDeFuse isn't working on Fission anymore, but I don't really care because the phone will do everything that I want it to do with a very long battery life. My usage is strictly utilitarian but my wife is on the web, gabs like crazy, plays games, etc. and she has no complaints.

I gleaned the steps from the various posts on this and other forums. I cannot remember everyone's name where I compiled these steps from so my apologies for not giving credit where it is due. I didn't find a complete step-by-step how-to anywhere so I wrote down what I did as I did it and refined the steps when something didn't go right to make them right. I suggest that even after you read this you check into it in the forums before you continue. (Btw, I am too new to the forum so I can't post links or pics or I would be more forthcoming with links, pics, etc.) Here's what I did:

Steps: root phone ->install Koush's Droid2Bootstrap -> install Fission ROM Manager -> install Fission -> upgrade Fission

First thing you'll need to root your phone. Being a linux guy, I followed the command line version (you won't need RSDlite). Make sure your phone is fully charged and the charger is nearby. You'll need to download:

Superuser.apk -- (link on web, make sure you get the one for Froyo, this grants superuser privileges to applications once rooted)
su -- (link on web, this allows superuser permission at terminal)
rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin -- (link on web, this is what gets root in terminal)
Busybox -- (link on web, this provides additional linux commands)
Terminal Emulator -- (from android market (the one by Jack Palevich is the one I used/use), this is the linux terminal emulator)

1) Go to Settiings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging and turn it on.
2) Plug in your phone into your computer and go to Settings -> Notifications -> USB connection -> click USB Mass Storage. Linux should mount the disk and the SD card should show as a file.
3) I created a directory (called Rooting) on the SD card and copied the files to this directory.
4) Go to Settings -> Notifications -> USB connection -> click Charge Only. The disk will unmount. You can leave it plugged in or disconnect at this point.
5) Go to Applications and open the Terminal Emulator. You'll need to change the font size (and colors if you want). At $ prompt go to Settings -> Preferences. Here you can customize it how you like.
6) Next do the following:
cd /tmp
cp /sdcard/rage*.bin /tmp/
chmod 777 rage*.bin
./rage*.bin
There will be some output, ignore it and wait for it to finish and return to command prompt ($).
7) Go to Settings -> "Reset term". This closes the terminal but it is still running.
8) After it's closed go to Settings -> Applications ->Manage Applicatons -> Terminal Emulator -> Force Stop. (I'm not sure this step is necessary, but that's what I did).
9) Reopen Terminal Emulator and you should be greeted with # (Root!)
10) Be careful and, as we linux users are wont to do, double check your typing before hitting enter (which, btw, on the slide out keyboard is larger "arrow down left" button and not the "OK" button, hey so I'm an idiot). At the command line enter (carefully):

mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
reboot

Your phone should reboot... if not, exit Terminal Emulator and turn phone off and restart. In Applications you should see the application "Superuser". If so, you have successfully in rooted your phone. If not you must have typed in something wrong... like I did. The damn type on the keyboard buttons are so small, I would advise you to take care in your typing. From now on, various programs that need root will pop up a window asking if you want to grant superuser privileges to the program, fyi.

Next is installing Koush's Droid2Bootstrap, Fission ROM Manager 1.2.4 Lite, Fission 2.4.3, and Fission 2.4.3 - Upgrade Install. Notice that is says Droid 2 and not Droid 2 Global. This gave me great concern. There isn't one for the D2G (that I can find and only one poster (that I could find) said that it would work on D2G). The Bootstrap for the Drod 2 worked on my wife's and my Droid 2 Globals. I would presume that it will work for yours (re-read my earlier disclaimer).
The Bootstrapper hijacks portions of your boot process during system initialization and puts the phone into recovery. Recovery is a window with green type on it and has the following options:

reboot system now
apply sdcard: update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
install zip from sdcard
backup and restore
mounts and storage
advanced

Don't uninstall this program, otherwise you won't be able to boot into recovery when you need to.

Steps for installing:

1) Download Koush's Droid2Bootstrap (from android market).
2) Open Droid 2 Bootstrapper (It will be in Applications).
3) Tap Bootstrap Recovery.
4) Tap "Allow" if asked to grant Superuser Permission (see above).
5) Tap "OK" on "Success" screen.
6) Exit Droid 2 Bootstrapper. (I can't remember what happens after this and I didn't write it down, but somewhere around here it asks if you want to make a backup, I did make the backup. This backup is necessary if sometime in the future you want to go back to stock you can get back to it from this backup.)
7) Download Fission ROM Manager Lite (check Team DeFuse's website for download), unzip it, and place it on your SD card.
8) Download "Super Manager" from android market and install it (this is a great free program that has a gui interface to manipulate files in root at a later date). There are others too.
9) Open Super Manager and go to Settings. Click "Enable ROOT function". Go "Back", and tap "File Manager". Find Fission Rom Manager Lite and tap it. It will have the option of installing it. Tap "Install".
10) After installing Fission Rom Manager, open it.
11) Enable WiFi on your phone.
12) Tap "List Downloads".
13) Once loaded you should see Fission 2.4.3 at the top. Tap Fission 2.4.3 from the list and tap "OK" when prompted to download. This downloads the file to your phone but doesn't install it.
14) After it completes, tap the Fission 2.4.3 again and it will prompt if you would like to add it to the install queue. Select yes. Then tap "Install Queue", which is now enabled.
15) At the next screen make sure "Create a back-up" is checked by checking the option at the top of the screen.
16) Tap the pull down, which says "Don’t Wipe", tap "Wipe Cache+Data".
17) Tap "Install" at the bottom left corner. Your phone will reboot and begin the install process.
18) The phone will reboot again once installed. Then you have the Fission 2.4.3 ROM installed. Have a beer.

I then installed the Fission 2.4.3 - Upgrade Install thusly:
1) Tap Fission 2.4.3 - Upgrade Install to download to the phone similar to installing Fission 2.4.3.
2) I tapped "Create Backup" when prompted (the backups are stored in different folders on the sdcard in the "clockworkmod" folder. I have three folders: one that is the backup of stock, backup of stock again (hey you never know), then the backup of Fission before upgrade (I even then downloaded them to my computer so I have a backup of them in case the phone takes a crap on me)).
3) I left the "Don't Wipe" alone and tapped "Install". The phone reboots and I was done. I had several beers after I was done.

I haven't experimented with anything else in Fission Rom Manager (i.e. Droid Global SIM Card Hotfix, Exchange Email Fix, etc. I use Gmail and don't use the SIM card for anything so I didn't feel it was necessary. There are Gingerbread Themes too, but being a minimalist I don't care about all of the glitz). I thought we had a bug on my wife's phone because it was constantly booting into recovery. I'd hit "reboot system now" when in recovery and it would reboot normally. I took the battery out for a minute and rebooted same damn thing. I though, great, she'll kill me. Then I read a response to a question about how to boot into recovery and there were several answers. The last on, kind of a passing comment, was something like "...or just power down then power up within about 2 minutes and it will boot into recovery..." duh. I was powering down then powering up immediately and there was recovery. Powered down for 30 minutes or so, turned on, and the phone booted normally. Thanks to whomever that was... I though I was on the couch for a night or month.

This was my experience with all of this. It took me about a month to read up enough to compile all of the data to root my phone. I dove in and besides fat-fingering the comma instead of the period, it worked flawlessly (my wife's was second and there were no glitches). I took pretty good notes but I could have missed something. If anyone sees something I left out or has other caveats to add, please do.

Feel free to pm me if you need to. Just go slow, have a beer, and check everything twice before hitting enter.

OP
S

stani

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, I really appreciate your post and the time it took to type it out. I have a friend who has a Droid X, and he is a good friend and a windows guy, but a lot of his advice does not apply to me, as I am a D2G user, and I am very used to using linux terminal. I use my phone for business, and I may be buying my wife a smartphone too, and she would use it for entertainment as well, so it sounds like we are pretty much on the same page. You verified what I thought about the Fission Rom Manager, and I am glad that you are happy with it, the reason I bought this phone is that it had the faster 1.2 Mhz processor, and the SIM card, I do a couple of outside the USA jobs a year, it will be nice to talk to the wife. I got what you said about the warranty and brick warning, but now that the sbf is out for this phone, that should not be a problem anymore? You have any linux issues, please let me know, I am a Fedora 14 user, and a member of Bugzilla as well. Thanks again for your time and response, the open source community is the only place to be right now in our technological times.

OP
S

stani

Reaction score
I did use the EZ4 root app, as my first attempt at command - line rooting probably omitted a space where there should have been one, so I really appreciate all of your instructions. Really cool, I love this Linux Android OS, it has made me really appreciate my phone again, and kept me in the technology loop. Thanks, 60lpsdf250, and my advice is never to do comp administration after a beer. And never especially after three or more.........

ajla66

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, I really appreciate your post and the time it took to type it out. I have a friend who has a Droid X, and he is a good friend and a windows guy, but a lot of his advice does not apply to me, as I am a D2G user, and I am very used to using linux terminal. I use my phone for business, and I may be buying my wife a smartphone too, and she would use it for entertainment as well, so it sounds like we are pretty much on the same page. You verified what I thought about the Fission Rom Manager, and I am glad that you are happy with it, the reason I bought this phone is that it had the faster 1.2 Mhz processor, and the SIM card, I do a couple of outside the USA jobs a year, it will be nice to talk to the wife. I got what you said about the warranty and brick warning, but now that the sbf is out for this phone, that should not be a problem anymore? You have any linux issues, please let me know, I am a Fedora 14 user, and a member of Bugzilla as well. Thanks again for your time and response, the open source community is the only place to be right now in our technological times.
1.2GHz* but it can be increase by dowloading overclock. Not trying to be a Dick. but i'm just telling you theres a big diffrence, 1000MHz is 1GHz

60lpsdf250

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, I really appreciate your post and the time it took to type it out.

No sweat. I wish there would have been a tutorial when I got my phone. I hate the man, and wanted to take charge of my phone (much like when I switched to linux!)

I have a friend who has a Droid X, and he is a good friend and a windows guy, but a lot of his advice does not apply to me, as I am a D2G user, and I am very used to using linux terminal.

Good, Windoze blows!

I use my phone for business, and I may be buying my wife a smartphone too, and she would use it for entertainment as well, so it sounds like we are pretty much on the same page.

It does sound like it. She'll totally be into Fission!

You verified what I thought about the Fission Rom Manager, and I am glad that you are happy with it, the reason I bought this phone is that it had the faster 1.2 Mhz processor, and the SIM card, I do a couple of outside the USA jobs a year, it will be nice to talk to the wife.

Given Fission ROM Manager's ease of use, you won't have a problem installing the "Droid Global SIM Card HotFix", which I believe will allow you to use the phone internationally (I can't/won't be able to confirm).

I got what you said about the warranty and brick warning, but now that the sbf is out for this phone, that should not be a problem anymore?

I cannot confirm that the SBF will un-brick the phone or return it to stock should the need arise. I have downloaded it, along with the instructions just in case. I am hoping that Fission will be stable enough for me to use until I get a new phone (I replaced my funky Nokia that I bought in 2004 with the D2g) The SBF you mention will let your get back to stock if you hose your phone. Your saving grace(s) are the backups you made during the Fission installation process. They will allow you to get back to a point in your phone that I am not sure the online SBF will allow you to get to (can anyone please confirm this?).

I believe this is moot anyway. I've read that it is unlikely that Verizon will push Android 2.3 to the D2G anyway (google it to confirm). I can't figure out why this would be the case, but that is the sense I am getting... again I don't care because this phone does everything I need it to do.

You have any linux issues, please let me know, I am a Fedora 14 user, and a member of Bugzilla as well. Thanks again for your time and response, the open source community is the only place to be right now in our technological times.

I love linux and yes there are quirks/glitches (as you know). It is kind of hard to master in the beginning, but there is a community (much like this one) that is willing to help (especially the Debian/Ubuntu community).

I did use the EZ4 root app, as my first attempt at command - line rooting probably omitted a space where there should have been one, so I really appreciate all of your instructions. Really cool, I love this Linux Android OS, it has made me really appreciate my phone again, and kept me in the technology loop.

I know what you mean. I hate the man (as previously stated). Not really because he's the man, but because I will not tolerate anyone telling me what I can and cannot do. I'm an old geezer, but still know what is right and what I want. This forum has allowed me to understand the vocabulary that is Android. It is similar to gaining the freedom that linux has given me over Windoze.

Thanks, 60lpsdf250, and my advice is never to do comp administration after a beer. And never especially after three or more.........

Roger. Confirmed. Only admin before brews... however they are alway in the mix!

natglad1

Reaction score

I too have been a linux user on and off since about 1998... originally Red Hat then migrated to Debian/Ubuntu last year.

You must realize that this will void your warranty on your phone. Also, unlike linux where you can easily reinstall your system if you type in a command wrong that kills your system, you can completely ruin your phone to point where it will not function (it becomes a brick). Proceed at your own risk... I take no liability for your actions.

I recently rooted and installed Fission 2.4.3 on my wife's and my D2Gs and your familiarity with command line will be a great help in your endeavor to install Fission. We both love Fission. It is cleaner than the stock and we get somewhere between 12 and 20 hours before having to recharge as opposed to 4 or 5 hours with stock. It is stable and we haven't found anything that is a deal breaker (we haven't even found a bug). TeamDeFuse isn't working on Fission anymore, but I don't really care because the phone will do everything that I want it to do with a very long battery life. My usage is strictly utilitarian but my wife is on the web, gabs like crazy, plays games, etc. and she has no complaints.

I gleaned the steps from the various posts on this and other forums. I cannot remember everyone's name where I compiled these steps from so my apologies for not giving credit where it is due. I didn't find a complete step-by-step how-to anywhere so I wrote down what I did as I did it and refined the steps when something didn't go right to make them right. I suggest that even after you read this you check into it in the forums before you continue. (Btw, I am too new to the forum so I can't post links or pics or I would be more forthcoming with links, pics, etc.) Here's what I did:

Steps: root phone ->install Koush's Droid2Bootstrap -> install Fission ROM Manager -> install Fission -> upgrade Fission

First thing you'll need to root your phone. Being a linux guy, I followed the command line version (you won't need RSDlite). Make sure your phone is fully charged and the charger is nearby. You'll need to download:

Superuser.apk -- (link on web, make sure you get the one for Froyo, this grants superuser privileges to applications once rooted)
su -- (link on web, this allows superuser permission at terminal)
rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin -- (link on web, this is what gets root in terminal)
Busybox -- (link on web, this provides additional linux commands)
Terminal Emulator -- (from android market (the one by Jack Palevich is the one I used/use), this is the linux terminal emulator)

1) Go to Settiings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging and turn it on.
2) Plug in your phone into your computer and go to Settings -> Notifications -> USB connection -> click USB Mass Storage. Linux should mount the disk and the SD card should show as a file.
3) I created a directory (called Rooting) on the SD card and copied the files to this directory.
4) Go to Settings -> Notifications -> USB connection -> click Charge Only. The disk will unmount. You can leave it plugged in or disconnect at this point.
5) Go to Applications and open the Terminal Emulator. You'll need to change the font size (and colors if you want). At $ prompt go to Settings -> Preferences. Here you can customize it how you like.
6) Next do the following:
cd /tmp
cp /sdcard/rage*.bin /tmp/
chmod 777 rage*.bin
./rage*.bin
There will be some output, ignore it and wait for it to finish and return to command prompt ($).
7) Go to Settings -> "Reset term". This closes the terminal but it is still running.
8) After it's closed go to Settings -> Applications ->Manage Applicatons -> Terminal Emulator -> Force Stop. (I'm not sure this step is necessary, but that's what I did).
9) Reopen Terminal Emulator and you should be greeted with # (Root!)
10) Be careful and, as we linux users are wont to do, double check your typing before hitting enter (which, btw, on the slide out keyboard is larger "arrow down left" button and not the "OK" button, hey so I'm an idiot). At the command line enter (carefully):

mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
reboot

Your phone should reboot... if not, exit Terminal Emulator and turn phone off and restart. In Applications you should see the application "Superuser". If so, you have successfully in rooted your phone. If not you must have typed in something wrong... like I did. The damn type on the keyboard buttons are so small, I would advise you to take care in your typing. From now on, various programs that need root will pop up a window asking if you want to grant superuser privileges to the program, fyi.

Next is installing Koush's Droid2Bootstrap, Fission ROM Manager 1.2.4 Lite, Fission 2.4.3, and Fission 2.4.3 - Upgrade Install. Notice that is says Droid 2 and not Droid 2 Global. This gave me great concern. There isn't one for the D2G (that I can find and only one poster (that I could find) said that it would work on D2G). The Bootstrap for the Drod 2 worked on my wife's and my Droid 2 Globals. I would presume that it will work for yours (re-read my earlier disclaimer).
The Bootstrapper hijacks portions of your boot process during system initialization and puts the phone into recovery. Recovery is a window with green type on it and has the following options:

reboot system now
apply sdcard: update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
install zip from sdcard
backup and restore
mounts and storage
advanced

Don't uninstall this program, otherwise you won't be able to boot into recovery when you need to.

Steps for installing:

1) Download Koush's Droid2Bootstrap (from android market).
2) Open Droid 2 Bootstrapper (It will be in Applications).
3) Tap Bootstrap Recovery.
4) Tap "Allow" if asked to grant Superuser Permission (see above).
5) Tap "OK" on "Success" screen.
6) Exit Droid 2 Bootstrapper. (I can't remember what happens after this and I didn't write it down, but somewhere around here it asks if you want to make a backup, I did make the backup. This backup is necessary if sometime in the future you want to go back to stock you can get back to it from this backup.)
7) Download Fission ROM Manager Lite (check Team DeFuse's website for download), unzip it, and place it on your SD card.
8) Download "Super Manager" from android market and install it (this is a great free program that has a gui interface to manipulate files in root at a later date). There are others too.
9) Open Super Manager and go to Settings. Click "Enable ROOT function". Go "Back", and tap "File Manager". Find Fission Rom Manager Lite and tap it. It will have the option of installing it. Tap "Install".
10) After installing Fission Rom Manager, open it.
11) Enable WiFi on your phone.
12) Tap "List Downloads".
13) Once loaded you should see Fission 2.4.3 at the top. Tap Fission 2.4.3 from the list and tap "OK" when prompted to download. This downloads the file to your phone but doesn't install it.
14) After it completes, tap the Fission 2.4.3 again and it will prompt if you would like to add it to the install queue. Select yes. Then tap "Install Queue", which is now enabled.
15) At the next screen make sure "Create a back-up" is checked by checking the option at the top of the screen.
16) Tap the pull down, which says "Don’t Wipe", tap "Wipe Cache+Data".
17) Tap "Install" at the bottom left corner. Your phone will reboot and begin the install process.
18) The phone will reboot again once installed. Then you have the Fission 2.4.3 ROM installed. Have a beer.

I then installed the Fission 2.4.3 - Upgrade Install thusly:
1) Tap Fission 2.4.3 - Upgrade Install to download to the phone similar to installing Fission 2.4.3.
2) I tapped "Create Backup" when prompted (the backups are stored in different folders on the sdcard in the "clockworkmod" folder. I have three folders: one that is the backup of stock, backup of stock again (hey you never know), then the backup of Fission before upgrade (I even then downloaded them to my computer so I have a backup of them in case the phone takes a crap on me)).
3) I left the "Don't Wipe" alone and tapped "Install". The phone reboots and I was done. I had several beers after I was done.

I haven't experimented with anything else in Fission Rom Manager (i.e. Droid Global SIM Card Hotfix, Exchange Email Fix, etc. I use Gmail and don't use the SIM card for anything so I didn't feel it was necessary. There are Gingerbread Themes too, but being a minimalist I don't care about all of the glitz). I thought we had a bug on my wife's phone because it was constantly booting into recovery. I'd hit "reboot system now" when in recovery and it would reboot normally. I took the battery out for a minute and rebooted same damn thing. I though, great, she'll kill me. Then I read a response to a question about how to boot into recovery and there were several answers. The last on, kind of a passing comment, was something like "...or just power down then power up within about 2 minutes and it will boot into recovery..." duh. I was powering down then powering up immediately and there was recovery. Powered down for 30 minutes or so, turned on, and the phone booted normally. Thanks to whomever that was... I though I was on the couch for a night or month.

This was my experience with all of this. It took me about a month to read up enough to compile all of the data to root my phone. I dove in and besides fat-fingering the comma instead of the period, it worked flawlessly (my wife's was second and there were no glitches). I took pretty good notes but I could have missed something. If anyone sees something I left out or has other caveats to add, please do.

Feel free to pm me if you need to. Just go slow, have a beer, and check everything twice before hitting enter.

Hey, thanks for your post. I am not a linux user, but i have fission 2.4.3 installed. I think i didn't install the upgrade. Anyway, my battery never last 10 - 14 hours.

My problem is i know defuse sent me an email with the download code, but i can't remember the sender name or find it in my gmail. Do you remember the email address it came from?