Fission ROM and Fission ROM Manager for Droid2 Global

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
small change of plans...Going to post RC1 with manual install method. Please follow all directions closely.

MAKE A BACKUP!!!!
Root Phone
Install Bootstrap recovery
Download Fission D2 Global 2.3.1 RC1 HERE
Reboot install recovery
Wipe Cache
Wipe Data
Mount System
Mount Data
Install ROM
Once in Android, go to privacy and perform factory reset.
After reset is preformed then enjoy new ROM.

This is RC1 so expect a few bugs and the framework is still moto. Please check my last posts for things that need to be completed.

Best way to stay up to date is to follow me on Twitter and to get Fission ROM Manager. Updates will be coming quickly and I do not want to waste time updating threads when it can be spent on building ROM.

Install at your own risk so be carefull and follow every step exactly

Too Tired so copying my tweet...

Lots apply to DX and D2 builds also...All three platforms are running nearly identical builds now :)

Fission 2.3.1 RC Builds for Droid 2 Global, Droid 2 and Droid X will be released tomorrow as silent builds on Fission ROM Manager Lite & Full. Fission 2.3.1 will be the build that will be released on forums so all the minor details are worked out before then.

Disclaimer for D2G :)
Very safe method of installing once you obtained root, have installed koush's bootstrap recovery that can be found here http://tinyurl.com/27qsjdc or on Android Market and have Fission ROM Manager 1.2+ installed.
There is always a chance that something can go wrong so myself or no other member of team defuse will be responsible for your device failing to boot. If something does go wrong your device will be soft bricked and there is no full recovery (SBF) available yet.
I am very hesitant about releasing this for two main reasons. First is obvious since there is no recovery; second one being that if something does go wrong it kind of gives Moto ammo for locking things down if people start returning their new phones.
Anyways, I have been testing this myself. The install method is very safe and does not touch any of the bootstrap recovery files so if something causes a boot loop the chances of getting into recovery are very good. I have been in many boot loops and just had one bad scare.
There will be very detailed but simple instructions to be on the safe side and if you follow them precisely there should be no problems with install.

D2 & DX 2.3.1 will be available at the same time

Changelog
Fission 2.3.1:
updater-script tweaked, works with Fission ROM Manager 1.2+ and if you want to update manually you no longer need to worry about mounting partitions.
Fixes to exchange, phone mute, market fix for DX and I might be missing one or two are now included in ROM.
Removal of blur (related) files that are no longer needed in some system app folders.
Framework tweaks.

AOSP unlock slider has 1 bug I need to work before release. I got side tracked with new ROM builds and new device to build for. Will come as a HotFix shortly after 2.3.1 release.

FRM 1.2.3:
Kind of funny that FRM 1.2.3 will make installing ROMs, themes, apps or whatever else you can think of as easy as 123 :-D
No need to manually boot into recovery to install ROMs or anything else.
New easy to use interface to customize your ROM install with what packages you select to be installed with ROM and with option to place them in what order you like.
Optional packages will be updated.

We will also have our new webiste up and some other changes...

Should be a fun weekend :D

Last edited:
OP
AngDroid

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Can't wait.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Soon...

Quick question for Global users since I think the first custom ROM might not be Fission but Fused. Fused is a mix of Fission and OEM stuff...

Are most the Global users business people, would you peeps prefer the Moto Email app and some of the Global functions instead of a pure generic android like Fission?

Should I start with Fused first or Fission? I am leaving it up to the Global users since the ROM is for you guys and I was able to get Global from Donations and from Fission ROM Manager Full so I will do what Global users want first with their build of ROMs...

I am leaning towards Fused ROMs first for two main reasons, no SBF and I am guessing that most Global users want the Moto email app and some other global stuff that is missing from Fission...

Reaction score
I'm not a business user but I've grown to like some of the blur functions and apps and it would be nice to have a mix since I came from a original Droid. I'm just waiting for any type of rom to try out because coming from a droid to this is nice because I feel this phone will be around longer but I miss trying out new roms. And with the sbf not leaked yet it would be safer for the fused because some people who are new to roms don't know what they are doing yet.

OP
AngDroid

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I'm not a business user but I've grown to like some of the blur functions and apps and it would be nice to have a mix since I came from a original Droid. I'm just waiting for any type of rom to try out because coming from a droid to this is nice because I feel this phone will be around longer but I miss trying out new roms. And with the sbf not leaked yet it would be safer for the fused because some people who are new to roms don't know what they are doing yet.

Have you tried the OEM ROM that I put up? The only difference is that it has been deodexed, root and busybox. Maybe we should start with that and themes to be on the safe side. I can write a script to remove some of the bloat or users can follow some of the removing bloatware guides floating around too.

I can get some themes done tonight...if you are willing to test some stuff out with me then send me a pm and I will give you the link to ROM Manager Full version...

Reaction score

Have you tried the OEM ROM that I put up? The only difference is that it has been deodexed, root and busybox. Maybe we should start with that and themes to be on the safe side. I can write a script to remove some of the bloat or users can follow some of the removing bloatware guides floating around too.

I can get some themes done tonight...if you are willing to test some stuff out with me then send me a pm and I will give you the link to ROM Manager Full version...
Alright ill pm you.

wirecutter

Reaction score
I'm new to Android, but not new to Global phones. I'm more of a business type user. I like a slim build with the ability to add things on top of it by choice.
My wants woud be
1. Maintain support for both the GSM and CDMA radios and allow us to switch between them.
2. Allow Force roaming
3. Proper working Exchange!
4. Get rid of the annoying as heck, repeating,international data roaming popup that seems to be only on Motorola Android phones...it is a global phone. People will want to roam and use data.
5. Don't remove Voice Command stuff, Or have it available as an add-on apk or something.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.

Reaction score
I guess development is on hold AngDroid bricked his Global.

CellZealot

Reaction score
I would suggest being very careful what Blur components you remove because the radio and network functions are all Blur and the likelyhood of breaking or disabling critical functions is high.

Edit: looks like I am already too late...we may be able to help out there... ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I guess the wait for an SBF is on because that's the only developer I know of that was planning on making a rom for the D2G.

leobg

Reaction score
I am more of business style user, For me one of the most important features is the integrated native IPsec based VPN client. BLUR doesn't seem very appealing to me. The ideal rom IMO would be Cyanogen port with uniquie to D2G features like dual radio and native VPN client

Fingers crossed for an SBF to be released soon, this seems an obstacle that simply halts development..

arich57

Reaction score
So I guess I would be in the middle of business/media user.

I came from the Droid X because I wanted the keyboard and global.

The big things I would like in a ROM:
1)Openvpn tun support to be able to get home and pull down new movies (see below)
2)Less bloatware- but the option to put specific things back on. You will never make everyone happy but there is an option to add things back in, that would be great. I. For one, use the Dlna software to pull movies onto my phone before travelling.
3) I'll getting back to you

I'd be interested in helping test it needed.

Last edited:

shagoyjo

Reaction score
First post in DroidForums, yaay (Migrated from XDA).

Okay, putting in my two cents/sense and clearing up maybe some misconceptions.

1. One of the things that I've seen a few requests for is vpn tun support. You do not need this support to be by the means of the program that comes on the D2G. There are a number of VERY good apps on the market that provide VPN support for any android phone. In fact, there are full working ports of OpenVPN. They id0 access, but if you are flashing a rom, that's clearly not a problem.

2. One of the first things that I'd like to see is something as close to AOSP as possible. I'd much rather have the choice of my own apps to get stuff done than having to navigate around all kinds of built in bloatware. Aside, of course, from D2G specific essentials like the gsm/cdma switcher. A lot of the other stuff (the messaging apps, facebook and twitter integration, etc etc) has better alternatives on the market.

3. It would probably pay to be conscious of the fact that everything that is done is going to have to get bready in not too long :)

Again, pardon my presumption, but I just thought I'd speak from what I've seen in terms of the rom roadmap for other phones. I'd help, but I'm too busy with other projects right now. :)

EDIT: Of course, all of this is immaterial for most folks until we get our hands on an sbf.

Last edited:

ikt

Reaction score
good stuff, using Rom Manager and Bootstrap, but still on OEM ROM. Smooth program. I did try to use one of the overclock zips, but it didn't seem to work.

shagoyjo

Reaction score
@ikt could you clarify what you mean by overclock zips? I thought all that team defuse had released for the droid two global was a deodexed busyboxed oem.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk