1 month later with the Droid Pro, what are your thoughts?

meowguy

Reaction score
I won't go back to Blackberry, but if I don't get this phone working for calls soon, I'm going to have to get a new one.

If I could the Berry Torch from Verizon I would be all over that in a heart beat.

whozat451

Reaction score
Have had the phone since it came out and can comment on the following:
- I love the phone and the Android platform. I have not rooted the phone yet as I really haven't found a need to! Launcher Pro is installed and allows just about all the customization I need. Ill likely root if only to backup the OS.
- The keyboard took some getting used to. I came from a BB Curve. If you are coming from a Storm or even a Droid [1,2,X] you may not care for the keyboard.
- Battery was and is the most thing to complain about. I do find that some live wallpapers have a greater drain than others. I also only use GPS/WiFi/Bluetooth when needed (not on all of the time).
- I ended up having to replace the phone due to the keyboard LEDs failing (strange problem, but Verizon replaced it with new with no issue). Absolutely loved that all of my apps synced and reinstalled on their own! Given that I have had two devices and experienced none of the call quality issues that have been expressed. I figure that means one of the following:
> I am lucky 8^)
> I am 'poor call quality intolerant' and cannot tell the difference.
> Its a relative non-issue that only a few complain about, but do so loudly.

In summary I love the phone and plan on keeping it. I am new to Android and am thoroughly impressed with the product, forum/user support and available apps and capability of the device.

Ciao!

UWSkier

Reaction score
Absolutely loved that all of my apps synced and reinstalled on their own!
How'd you do that? You mean when Verizon swapped your phone you were able to have all your apps re-synced and re-installed? The local guy said if I got a new handset I'd have to start from scratch reinstalling.

whozat451

Reaction score
Well it was quite unexpected. I had installed two apps that would backup a list of installed Marketplace apps (App List Backup and Zemma AppList Backup). However all these are supposed to do is create a list of apps installed so you can go back and install them afterwards.

After receiving the new phone and activating with Verizon and Google everything started syncing. By the time I drove back home all the apps were installed. Even apps I had not selected using the App List backup were restored so I am not sure those had a hand in this.

Either I was pleased!

Droid does.

bwhite757

Reaction score
That's a feature with the Marketplace. Once you sign in to your Gmail on a new device, all of your installed apps from the old one will automatically download and install on the new phone.

However app settings don't usually transfer. So you do have to back in and setup the apps once they install.

Sent from the DPro

boomerang

Reaction score
I came from a palm pre, I LOVED my pre! Sadly though it was too buggy for me. Husband bought me the pro for Christmas and I LOVE it. I can't put the stinkin thing down. I wish the battery was better and may end up purchasing the extended one. Other than that no complaints.

boomerang

Reaction score
No I don't use bluetooth. Past experience with other misc devices has proven it annoying and unreliable.

M.J.H.

Reaction score
I don't use Bluetooth either but I will never go back to Blackberry, as much as I loved my Bold, I can't ever see myself leaving the Droid Pro.

Ride

Reaction score
Love it, by far the best experience I've had with any new mobile over the years (moto, nokia, HTC, RIM, etc.,).

I have bluetooth on all day, either connected to my Plantronics headset or to my car.

The extended battery is a must have. I was getting by with the standard battery, but with my extended, I go from 6am - 10pm with bluetooth calling, GPS nav, email and texting and still typically have 30-40% left at end of day.

Why this phone is a must:
- Keyboard is awesome, better than my last Curve IMO
- GPS is fantastic, locks quickly and keeps a signal
- browsing is great
- email on this (corp sync mainly) is much easier to use
- Oh, and the apps if you are coming from the BB world

brian1972ca

Reaction score
I moved to a Pro from an iPhone4 and couldn't be happier.

Initially I went with a Droid 2 but didn't like the slide out keyboard. Very happy with the Pro but I still wind up hitting Home often when typing.

It's a keeper!

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

wwaterhouseclan

Reaction score
I went from a Blackberry Storm to an LG Ally and now the Druid Pro. Awesome phone. Best smartphone I have ever owned and will never go back to Blackberry.

The LG Ally is a nice Android phone but extremely slow and I just don't like slider phones.

The keyboard on the Pro is great and the screen is very responsive. The screen resolution isn't as good as the X but I can live with it.

Motorola is coming out with some great products.

Shri

Reaction score
I too have had this phone just over a month. Despite the following issues, I still love and kept this phone:

Battery life is a joke. If I get 8 hours I am lucky. Interestingly I find that 60-70% is used in Display, even with auto bright (which is way too dark most of the time).

Call quality. When the phone was new I found that call quality was spectacular but proned to random electronic interference noises. I took it to Verizon and they did something. The dialup modem-like noises are now gone but overall call quality is now mediocre at best.

Slow internet. Other droids' internets are much faster. When the browser tries to load a page I feel like it gets stuck for a while and then finally loads. To test this I downloaded a second browser and didn't choose a default. Now when I click a link the 'choose to complete' window pops up asking me which browser to use at least 3 times before it finally accepts it. Once it accepts the page loads fast.

Finally, every once in a while my pop3 email accounts stop updating. But that is usually cured on a restart. Which is fine, even though that means the incredibly loud DROID alert announcing itself to everyone in the room.

tennvol

Reaction score
Just root and you can remove the druid startup sound