1 month later with the Droid Pro, what are your thoughts?

dil.b

Reaction score
Switched from DInc for the keyboard. Biggest gripe is keyboard is too close to soft touch keys...when will the app fix come out???

google123

Reaction score
Just root and you can remove the druid startup sound

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

Druid..gotta love that auto correct on that Droid Pro lol.

LOL Druid. The auto correct on the Pro is lacking. I have typed out words almost completely and the auto correct is offering up words nowhere near to what I am actually typing to begin with. LOL.

3yoders

Reaction score
Really enjoying the phone so far. Have had nearly all the blackberrys (World,Curve1, Curve2, Storm, Tour and Bold) also have had the Droid X and Samsung Fascinate. (I enjoy Smartphones) My only real gripe so far is the proximity of soft touch keys to the keyboard as I seem to catch those quite a bit, but for those of you that have gotten used to physical keyboards know, it is tough to match the speed of typing on one compared to touch screen.

Side note: It kind of amuses me how many gripe about battery life on these as well as MOST smartphones. First of all look at all the multitasking we are doing with these things (they are always working for us in the background even if screen isn't lit) different apps etc. Second of all, half of you are talking about being in the car for several hours or office etc. It costs like nothing to have a charger in the car, office, different rooms of the house etc. Plug it up. It doesn't take long to charge it substantially. Personally I have no problem getting through the day with the battery, but when I do I always have a charger close. Too nice of a phone to let battery slow you down.

golfdr

Reaction score
BB user gone Droid

Long time BB user and jumped to the Droid Pro on day 1 of availability. My experience has been this:

> No email issues running through our corporate server...also have a sinc to my comcast account
> Switched from a Tour and with time I have adjusted to the keyboard....still better for me than a touch pad, I send many emails a day
> Battery management is an issue I have learned to live with....more apps means more power use and I'm ok with the trade off
> The browser is very robust compared to BB....lets face it, if BB had stayed ahead of the curve with regards to their browser I would not be on a Droid discussion board today
> One real dissapointment is the voice command dialer....it works 20% of the time and is therefore worthless
> Camera takes good pictures and zoom function is easy to use

Bottom line....the good has outweighed the ugly and we currently have 4 in our office who have now jumped from BB to the Pro

TeddyT

Reaction score
Like it, but don't love it

Coming from Treo 650 (favorite device), then BB Curve, Tour and Droid 2.

I really wanted the from factor that the Pro offered so returned my Droid 2 for the Pro. As a heavy email user, some of my likes and dislikes:

I import my work email thru gmail and love the capability to sync folders (labels). Not available on blackberry that i knew of

google navigation

quick office

browser

Dislikes:
Battery life is horrible

Keyboard and screen a bit too narrow

Cutting, pasting and editing emails is a letdown compared to Treo and Blackberry.

Gmail and other emails formatted differently!! Options totally different in the composing and reading screens....What's up with that? Unable to combine gmail with aol, etc in central folder.

So...with 6 days left in my 30 day trial, if VZW comes out with a new Blackberry within that time frame, I may jump ship, but I've invested many hours trying to learn this thing and sorta hate to bail out now. We'll see.

I think the best solution would be a blackberry for emails and a Droid X for the multimedia stuff.

jhumbo

Reaction score
Coming from Treo 650 (favorite device)...

Same here and I completely agree.

I really wanted the from factor that the Pro offered so returned my Droid 2 for the Pro. As a heavy email user, some of my likes and dislikes:

My list is almost identical to yours. I'll add one more dislike:
- The calendar is lacking compared to what I had on my PalmOS phones. There's no ability to add labels or categories to events. (I realize I could use multiple calendars, but this isn't quite the same and I have to sync my calendar with Outlook, which doesn't support multiple calendars.) Also, this is minor, but in the week view, there is no option to specify the start time for the day. In PalmOS, you can say that your day starts at 8am and then the top of the week view will line up with 8am. It seems that on the Droid, whenever I go into that view I have to scroll up or down to line it up the way I want.

Cutting, pasting and editing emails is a letdown compared to Treo...

I couldn't agree more. I have figured out how to use the long-press/select text on the Droid to accomplish the same thing, but it was much easier/quicker on the Treo.

Overall, the phenomenal web browsing experience completely blows away the Treo and is THE reason that I am pleased with my Droid Pro. In every other category, what the Droid offers is pretty much the same (or slightly worse) as what I've had for the past 4 years on my PalmOS phones. That's okay, I suppose, and I'm not necessarily disappointed -- it just surprised me a bit and is a testament to how great a phone the Treo was (especially the 650).

TeddyT

Reaction score
like it but don't love it

jhumbo,
regarding the calendar function, you might try 'gtasks', a free app, which pretty much solved what I need to do with a calendar. It also syncs with gmail tasks.

jlhawkinson

Reaction score
Love it!

I have used the Treo and the Blackberry. I wanted to switch from the Blackberry because we are mainly Google users for e-mail and calendar and it was becoming a headache to do the work-around to get my calendars to sync with the Blackberry.

After talking with the Verizon representative, he suggested the Droid Pro. I mulled over it for a couple of weeks, doing some research, and getting more frustrated with the Blackberry. The one thing I wasn't looking forward to was a touch screen.

I have had my Droid Pro for almost three weeks and love it. Could the battery life be better? Well yes, but I could say the same about my laptops and my husband's HTC Touch Pro 2.

I absolutely love the syncing of my Google calendar and GMail account. The ease of getting online and how I can quickly go in and turn off an app using Advanced Task Killer. I usually charge my phone overnight and then once again late afternoon. I do a lot of texting, e-mail, and even going on Facebook to talk to students. My GPS and Wi-Fi is on constantly. I don't use the bluetooth much, if at all.

I have used Maps and Navigation twice and it worked great. No complaints there.

The camera isn't as good as I expected, but I am also used to taking pictures with a DSLR camera so I am a little spoiled in that area.

Overall, great phone. Plan on staying with the Droid Pro.

dennis1088

Reaction score
While I have only had my phone for about a week I safe to say that I have made a great choice with the druid pro. My battery life in my opinion is perfectly fine. My only worry before getting this phone was that so the first day I chose to put the battery to the test with what I consider to be heavy usage from emailing, twittering, running benchmarks, sending texts, reading various blogs and forums, installing and uninstalling applications, and even some angry birds a 30 seconds of need for speed. With all this usage im I was able to the phone last a full 11 hours. Again im sure others have seen it last less but its my belief that if your gonna judge a phones battery life make sure you measure it up to YOUR usage not someone else. With what I consider regular usage I was able to squeeze 13 hours from the battery. and it only seems to be improving with conditioning. I find that removing notification from meaningless applications like twitter and facebook is what helped me get such good battery life. With an extended battery im sure I can get upwards to 17 hrs of battery life if not more but at this point I don't feel as if I need it. I wish this came with a larger microsd. I would have loved to see the same 16gb memory as in the droid. The keyboard is great I think it was easy to get used to for a guy like me coming from a palm pre. The feel of the keyboard means me alot of my old black berry 8830 it feels very responsive and easy to adapt to. It is a little tight at time because I do have larger fingers but nothing that will stop me from writing a couple of paragraphed emails. In fact im writing this post on my druid pro with ease. My one complaint is that there is no way to make the quick launch buttons call a contact for speed dial only applications. I have also never been a fan of motoblur and will as soon as things seem a little safer try placing a different rom on my phone.

TeddyT

Reaction score
battery life

In response to Dennis1088, regarding your point to compare battery life to what you were used to....on BB Tour with heavy email and phone calling, and using 'dragon talk to text' app, I usually made it til about 3:30 or 4:00 on a business day. With the Pro, i make it until about 1:30 or 2:00.

I agree with an earlier poster that the extended battery should be standard, just as it was with the Sprint Moto Q9C! What I've found through occasionally checking the battery consumption meter is that voice calls drain the battery far more quickly than any application, including live widgets like facebook or weather.

So, if you never use the phone to make phone calls, you probably can last all day.

I would love it if Dennis1088 could let us know what his power consumption settings are, plus any other tips for conserving power.....also, is it possible that Vzw and Moto are now including the extended battery in the newer released Pros?

Thanks!

dennis1088

Reaction score
I highly doubt that extended batteries are being shipped with Verizon druid pro. I am currently using the original battery that came with the druid pro the BPX6 which im certain is the same battery on the druid 1. Some tips I would highly recommend is if your place of business has wife try to inquire about getting access to it from your phone this will improve battery life. I also recommend setting your screen brightness low I know that for some this might not be desired but if most of your day is spent making phone calls then is 50% brightness really necessary? The screen is what I find to be my #1 battery drainer sometimes ranging from 60 to 70% of the battery. I do make phonecalls throughout the day but very minimal as I work in a technical environment and every office has a landline. My suggestion for you is to try and buy the extended battery as it really does not change the physical appearance of the phone that much and it is guaranteed to give you a 25 to 35 increase which would most likely give you the battery life that you desire to last the entire business day. PS I hate how this phone doesn't recognize the word droid you would think it would be included in the dictionary when you first receive it esp since its in the name of a product. I would also highly recommend getting an OEM version of the battery as getting any other brand to try and save money might void your warranty if anything happened plus I have heard they do not condition and last as long as retail batteries but then again I could be wrong. I also have high hopes that gingerbread and honeycomb (if prod get it) will improve battery life as well. I personally will be looking into installing a rom as they have also been known to optimize the os and give a user more battery life.

My battery settings are always set to power saver mode.

jwgraves

Reaction score
Some tips I would highly recommend is if your place of business has wife try to inquire about getting access to it from your phone this will improve battery life.

I'm confused...I thought using wifi (I'm sure don't mean wife) was worse on battery use. If using wifi is BETTER than using 3G, I'll definitely make this change since at work and home I have access to wifi. Great recommendations !