With all the issues the Galaxy Nexus is having, why is it being proclaimed the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiusmc

Reaction score
Check the picture thread, you'll see it's very capable of taking great photos: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ga...79-photos-taken-your-galaxy-nexus-thread.html

Megapixels have nothing to do with picture quality: The Megapixel Myth

You have to set volume+ to +7 or above, which requires the pay version. It works, check the thread about it here.

My signal right now in my house:

View attachment 45516

As I said, not everyone's having these issues, therefore I can't accept that it's hardware related. If it is, then they just have poor quality control and all of the people who have issues actually have faulty devices.

I'm not talking about picture quality, I'm talking cost of equipment. A 5MP camera costs much less than an 8 MP camera. Who knows where else Samsumg skimped on the Nexus. That was my experience with the phone. I really liked it but for the bad radio, terrible speaker and the shotty GPS.

samiusmc

Reaction score
Only issue I have with my nexus is eye strain and tired fingers....I can't put it down. To me that's more important than anything else.

As if we don't get enough hate from iPhone fans.....HTC and moto fans are joining the bandwagon. Makes me like my phone even more.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

There's no hate here. I too was once a Nexus fan, just like you.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
There's no hate here. I too was once a Nexus fan, just like you.

Wasn't pointing u out....just generalizing.

But come to think of it weren't you one of the guys complaining and launching personal attacks saying I'm not allowed to respond to posts on latest posts tab in droidforums app because it happened to be a razr forum thread? Sorry if I got the wrong guy

Last edited:

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm not talking about picture quality, I'm talking cost of equipment. A 5MP camera costs much less than an 8 MP camera. Who knows where else Samsumg skimped on the Nexus. That was my experience with the phone. I really liked it but for the bad radio, terrible speaker and the shotty GPS.

Radios are software.... speaker volume is improved in 4.0.3 build I'm running....GPS locks as fast as other phones I've owned.

But I'm not stock...don't know why anyone would buy a flagship software debut device and complain about software bugs. Kinda simple jackish

alboboy10

Reaction score
When people talk about the nexus you should remember that the first phone Google made, was a nexus one, and since then they've made two more phones. This is the first on Verizon, new os, obviously has offered the most new features out of any phone out there. Face unlock, beam, Ics, instant shutter so much more...knocking this phone and praising another android doesn't make sense really.

Theres no "cool" commercials with a guy walking in the street putting on his head piece and all of a sudden the world explodes around him for the nexus

Or a commercial about how "this device is too powerful to fall in the right hands" and there's a little thin black phone flying and cutting things. And some machine noises. Looks like a terminator trailer.

And definitely not a cool iPhone commercial how about this is the most powerful device in the world ever.

That's another reason I love the nexus.

samiusmc

Reaction score
Radios are software.... speaker volume is improved in 4.0.3 build I'm running....GPS locks as fast as other phones I've owned.

But I'm not stock...don't know why anyone would buy a flagship software debut device and complain about software bugs. Kinda simple jackish

I know the radio is software but the receiver isn't. If it was a baseband issue, the leaked basebands would have resolved it.

My skepticism stems from the manner in which Verizon is handling it. It's reminicent of the iPhone debacle and Apple's ludicrous response.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
When people talk about the nexus you should remember that the first phone Google made, was a nexus one, and since then they've made two more phones. This is the first on Verizon, new os, obviously has offered the most new features out of any phone out there. Face unlock, beam, Ics, instant shutter so much more...knocking this phone and praising another android doesn't make sense really.

Theres no "cool" commercials with a guy walking in the street putting on his head piece and all of a sudden the world explodes around him for the nexus

Or a commercial about how "this device is too powerful to fall in the right hands" and there's a little thin black phone flying and cutting things. And some machine noises. Looks like a terminator trailer.

And definitely not a cool iPhone commercial how about this is the most powerful device in the world ever.

That's another reason I love the nexus.

Agreed. Not to mention....other new features like nfc tags... little stickers you can map and create profiles on and put in car...home....work....crapper if u wanna lol

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I know the radio is software but the receiver isn't. If it was a baseband issue, the leaked basebands would have resolved it.

My skepticism stems from the manner in which Verizon is handling it. It's reminicent of the iPhone debacle and Apple's ludicrous response.

Not necessarily. Its been less than a month....the radios aren't leaks....they are open source. This isn't HTC or moto where pre release are based off leaks .

If it was a reciever issue then all of us would have the same problem...my reception is fine. Sorry your nexus didn't get good reception in your area.

Last edited:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Does Verizon ever handle anything well?

Luckily we don't have to worry about Verizon, since it's Google who handles everything concerning the Nexus.

hydro556

Reaction score

It's all about relativity. A device doesnt have to be perfect, assuming the mfg's are working to correct any issues. What it does need to do, to justify it's tier one pricing, is compare well with its peers.

That is my problem. I am not happy paying top dollar,to get a device that is so far, not performing nearly as well as other recent offerings.

Poor reception, very poor speaker, and mediocre camera. Again, the phone camera doesnt have to compete with my Nikon D90, but it doesn need to be better than my previous camera, and pretty close to as good as other phones, with which it is competing.

Relative to its peers, so far, I am finding myself growing more and more disappointed with the Nexus. Not bashing, being straight up about my thoughts on the device.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It's all about relativity. A device doesnt have to be perfect, assuming the mfg's are working to correct any issues. What it does need to do, to justify it's tier one pricing, is compare well with its peers.

That is my problem. I am not happy paying top dollar,to get a device that is so far, not performing nearly as well as other recent offerings.

Poor reception, very poor speaker, and mediocre camera. Again, the phone camera doesnt have to compete with my Nikon D90, but it doesn need to be better than my previous camera, and pretty close to as good as other phones, with which it is competing.

Relative to its peers, so far, I am finding myself growing more and more disappointed with the Nexus. Not bashing, being straight up about my thoughts on the device.

Yeah...then the nexus is not for you. Get a razr or rezound. It's about customer contentment with qualities they look for in a device. I wasn't buying a camera when I got my phone. I can use a real camera if I want quality pictures... like high quality pictures. I have no complaints about the camera on my phone. It gets the job done.

The speaker is fine...just stock volume was low...big deal. There's a free app that increased it. Dsp is already incorporated in the umpteens of roms that have been built in just the last week. Its a moot issue

Its funny to me how these are the same stances taken a month ago....let me ask

What was the last rom u ran on your nexus?

I didn't walk into a vzw store on the 15th to get a stock phone with a locked bootloader... few roms....no kernels....but a marginally better camera . I went in to buy a dev open source phone that will trump other phones in terms of features as a result of development.... not a phone that will have a few skinned roms and minimal features.... but hey...to each their own....enjoy looking and sharing the better photographs

Last edited:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Compare the hardware to the Razr/Rezound/Iphone, you'll see that the Nexus is right where it should be.

Screen largest and 720P.

CPU 2nd best below the Iphone.

GPU 3rd best below Iphone/Rezound.

Largest stock battery.

The speaker is fine, we've told you that 100x not sure what else to say, same with the camera it's better than the Razr's, worse than the Rezounds/Iphones.

hydro556

Reaction score
Yeah...then the nexus is not for you. Get a razr or rezound. It's about customer contentment with qualities they look for in a device. I wasn't buying a camera when I got my phone. I can use a real camera if I want quality pictures... like high quality pictures. I have no complaints about the camera on my phone. It gets the job done.

Its funny to me how these are the same stances taken a month ago....let me ask

What was the last rom u ran on your nexus?

There is no need to be defensive. These are electronic devices, and nobody in this conversation was responsible for designing or assembling it.

You are free to have any opinion on it, just as everyone else.

But to me, some of your points seems both a bit of a cop out, as well as overly sensitive to others pointing out flaws in the GNex.

But facts are facts. The device was touted as top shelf, and they price it accordingly. If it turns out not to perform at the elevated level many of us expected, criticism should be expected.

However, all of this can be mitigated if Google would find a fix and deliver it, stat.

Whether one runs a ROM or not, the device should still perform at a level that justifies its price. Currently that is not happening for me.

hydro556

Reaction score
Compare the hardware to the Razr/Rezound/Iphone, you'll see that the Nexus is right where it should be.

Screen largest and 720P.

CPU 2nd best below the Iphone.

GPU 3rd best below Iphone/Rezound.

Largest stock battery.

The speaker is fine, we've told you that 100x not sure what else to say, same with the camera it's better than the Razr's, worse than the Rezounds/Iphones.

You can say it 200 times, but the facts will remain. The speaker on my old Incredible is superior, in every regard as far as I can tell. That is not acceptable. Buying an Ap to correct a deficiency from the factory on a $300 upgrade is not acceptable, even if it did work.

Using these forums, I have seen more than a few occasions where people have issues, and others say an ap will fix it. Then it doesnt. Doesnt compel to believe that ap's are the answer.

I think ap's that improve already good devices are an awesome thing, but ap's being required to try and get just an acceptable level of performance are indicative of a failure at the design level.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Agreed. Not to mention....other new features like nfc tags... little stickers you can map and create profiles on and put in car...home....work....crapper if u wanna lol

Never heard of nfc tags. Lol. Learn new things every day

Status
Not open for further replies.