With all the issues the Galaxy Nexus is having, why is it being proclaimed the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacingManiac

Reaction score
And Panoramic mode, which works wonderfully.

Panoramic mode in GNex works fine for me...

TBH I never value the camera on a phone. I have 2 DSLR, which I use frequently when I know and plan to take pics for thing. Phone camera is for spur of the moment candid shots, which aside from the lack of quality of camera, usually has other issues anyway...Droid's camera was unusable, probably taken less than 10 focused picture with it in 2 years....GNex already beat that in the 3 2 weeks I've had it, so no complain from me...5MP, 8MP, 10MP from a sensor the size less than a 1/6th the size of your thumbnail is always going to get noisy and meh picture, compare to even a regular point and shoot...If anything the only issue I take with GNex's camera function is I miss the dedicated shutter button from Driod....on screen tap just doesn't have the same feedback...

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
From what I know about the Rezound there is no instant take which the Nexus has. This is unbelievably useful to me. I captured a pic at pebble beach where birds flew right on front of my camera because if this feature. I know the Mega pixels aren't there for macros or whatever but I would still rake this camera over others because of the phone it cones with.

I was simply referring to the guy which claimed I was talking BS about the Nexus camera and that everything turns out mush which was simply not true. Now I've never even held the rezound so I can't comment on it but I know I didn't want HTC Sense UI and am so thankful I do not have it and if I decide I want it one day... Ill just flash it!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
Indeed the Rezound does have shutterlag, but it's not bad and I do find the no shutterlag more important than a higher quality picture. I don't take pictures of alot of things but when I do it's one of those "at the moment" pictures (car passing by, taking a pic from my moving car, etc.) so no shutterlag is something more useful to me. In terms of quality though I wish it was on par with the Rezound. Again it's no slouch, but if a company is going to promote it as their flagship device, they should aim to put the best hardware, just my two cents on that subject.

You managed to capture some beautiful pictures with your Nexus. All my shots have been indoor and there is certainly a world of difference in quality. Hope you enjoyed your trip in California!

Caligula2008

Reaction score
I haven't played with the rezound as I've mentioned but all I am arguing is that the camera should not be seen as an issue on the nexus as I love it and use it extensively. I've been outside a lot so not many in door pics but I love the camera (and everything else on the phone) so just thought I'd chime in on the "issues."

Even if the Rezound camera is an increase in quality I still pick the Nexus every time. :) So that's my response to the OPs question... that obviously every reviewer felt like me. But if he or she believes every issue reported on here (the minority) it can easily steer him or her away from a phenomenal phone.

hydro556

Reaction score
I haven't had a problem. The camera is amazing, the signal is a bit weak which should be solved in an update, it's not that big of deal. It is definitely the best phone I've used! :D

Can you, or anyone who understands these device, please explain to me the likelihood of an OTA correcting the weak signal issue? And also the possibility of the low volume through the speaker being corrected through an OTA?

I love my Nexus but I am losing confidence in it because I havent heard a solid commitment from Google or Samsung saying that they were about to release an OTA to correct these issues on their FLAGSHIP device. I was very confident initially because this is a Google phone and would be tuned up constantly.

But, since I have not heard anything official stating these issues could and would be addressed, combined with the fact that I am not sure signal strength issues, and speaker volume are not in fact hardware issues instead of software issues are causing me to lose confidence as the Jan 15th date approaches.

I very much like my Nexus, other than the weak signal and weak speaker. I am not going to be saddled with a phone that lags behind my Incredible in these regards, for 2 full years, and at Tier 1 device pricing.

I am giving it one more week, hoping that Google/Samsung commit to fixing these issues. Otherwise, I will assume that their silence indicates that the problems are hardware related, and they are hoping to string us along until the 15th passes, and then they just move along to their next device, knowing that we are stuck with a full priced, but compromised device.

Does anyone know without question that the weak signal and poor speaker can be fixed via OTA?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I haven't played with the rezound as I've mentioned but all I am arguing is that the camera should not be seen as an issue on the nexus as I love it and use it extensively. I've been outside a lot so not many in door pics but I love the camera (and everything else on the phone) so just thought I'd chime in on the "issues."

Even if the Rezound camera is an increase in quality I still pick the Nexus every time. :) So that's my response to the OPs question... that obviously every reviewer felt like me. But if he or she believes every issue reported on here (the minority) it can easily steer him or her away from a phenomenal phone.

I don't count the Nexus camera as an issue. In fact this is the best camera I own (that should tell ya something when it comes to cameras for me). The no shutterlag is a feature all future phones should have, especially for people who take pictures like I do, those "at the moment" pictures. Some may or may not find the quality as an issue, for me it's not, but know the fact they could've put something better in it is. Look I'm still more than happy with this camera and it's the flagship device mainly for the software, but it definitely wouldn't have hurt to put a better camera.

jcardona1

Reaction score
Some may or may not find the quality as an issue, for me it's not, but know the fact they could've put something better in it is.

Pretty much all there is to it. For some the camera will be more than enough. I didn't like the camera, even though I was learning to live with it. The signal/data issues were more significant, and the reason why I returned the phone.

What is mind boggling though, is why a much older device made by the same manufacturer has a much better camera, the Galaxy SII? I just don't get it.

buckfill

Reaction score
Can you, or anyone who understands these device, please explain to me the likelihood of an OTA correcting the weak signal issue? And also the possibility of the low volume through the speaker being corrected through an OTA?

I love my Nexus but I am losing confidence in it because I havent heard a solid commitment from Google or Samsung saying that they were about to release an OTA to correct these issues on their FLAGSHIP device. I was very confident initially because this is a Google phone and would be tuned up constantly.

But, since I have not heard anything official stating these issues could and would be addressed, combined with the fact that I am not sure signal strength issues, and speaker volume are not in fact hardware issues instead of software issues are causing me to lose confidence as the Jan 15th date approaches.

I very much like my Nexus, other than the weak signal and weak speaker. I am not going to be saddled with a phone that lags behind my Incredible in these regards, for 2 full years, and at Tier 1 device pricing.

I am giving it one more week, hoping that Google/Samsung commit to fixing these issues. Otherwise, I will assume that their silence indicates that the problems are hardware related, and they are hoping to string us along until the 15th passes, and then they just move along to their next device, knowing that we are stuck with a full priced, but compromised device.

Does anyone know without question that the weak signal and poor speaker can be fixed via OTA?

What he said, plus 1. EXACTLY what I'm thinking. haven't had any dropped calls, but definitely "jitter" calls and it's annoying.

jcardona1

Reaction score

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ga...y-nexus-issues-don-t-warrant-replacement.html

hydro556

Reaction score

I have seen it, but it has no bearing on my comments. I will be exchanging the Nexus for a Rezound prior to Jan 15 unless the mfg's convince me these issues will be fixed via OTA and right now.

Has nothing to do with VZW's comments about what they will and will not accept. January 15th is the end of the "trial period". I have already talked with VZW.

samiusmc

Reaction score
I have seen it, but it has no bearing on my comments. I will be exchanging the Nexus for a Rezound prior to Jan 15 unless the mfg's convince me these issues will be fixed via OTA and right now.

Has nothing to do with VZW's comments about what they will and will not accept. January 15th is the end of the "trial period". I have already talked with VZW.

I became real suspicious that they were stringing us along when they retraced their admission that there was a signal problem. I think it's a hardware issue. That makes sense based on their latest story that the Nexus only has a problem properly displaying signal strength (Can you say APPLE?). I didn't buy that nonsense so I switched to the Rezound before the 15th.

hydro556

Reaction score
I became real suspicious that they were stringing us along when they retraced their admission that there was a signal problem. I think it's a hardware issue. That makes sense based on their latest story that the Nexus only has a problem properly displaying signal strength (Can you say APPLE?). I didn't buy that nonsense so I switched to the Rezound before the 15th.

I hope this turns out not to be the case, because this phone could be amazing. But, if they cant fix it, basically next week, I will likely end up with a Rezound.

Status
Not open for further replies.