Returning Galaxy Nexus . . . won't hold a signal

siggy_freud

Reaction score
Howdy all,

First off, love my Nexus. Going to try and swap it for a new one as my current Galaxy Nexus is exhibiting some odd and frustrating behavior. Since I bought it, I've felt like the 4G signal it received was fairly weak, especially compared to friend's and family's 4G phones which were at least "showing" better reception in the same spot.

For the past few months, my signal at work and home both drop off fairly frequently throughout the day (couple times per hour). It's acting like it's bouncing from one tower to another, but it only seems to drop signal when I'm actually trying to do something. It will show 2 bars, but as soon as I try and load a webpage, or send a text, I get whatever failed message pertains to the particular application (text not sent, webpage cannot load, etc) and the bars disappear. About 30 seconds later they come back to the same signal strength. Now I'll admit that at work, many people don't get great reception on any service (I'm in downtown Portland). At home, I usually get 2-3 bars, and still the signal will bounce/drop/disappear.

For the past few weeks, the signal will sometimes completely vanish, and won't return until I restart the phone.

In the past few days, the phone has, on three occasions I know about, shut down and restarted itself. I was hoping it was self-updating (and perhaps fixing these issues), but alas the reception problem still exists. Just 5 minutes ago I had to restart, as I lost all signal, and it stayed that way for 10 minutes until I restarted. When it came back on I had 3 bars, and currently have 2 sitting at my desk.

I'm not rooted and on Version 4.0.2. I bought this phone at Costco about six months ago.

Thanks all for listening to my gripes. Hopefully a new Nexus will fix this, as I really do love the phone, aside from these annoying issues.

Verro84

Reaction score
I have the issue in my apartment where I usually have 2-3 bars and I live in a 4g area but in my apartment I don't get 4g. I have never had a dropped call which is a good thing but the new update 4.0.5 should help with reception. That's what they say anyway

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
S

siggy_freud

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that I have regular dropped calls. In fact, I didn't have one for the first 5 months or so. But in the last 3 weeks I've experienced four. All were calls where I started with 2-3 bars, and suddenly reception completely disappeared and then, like clockwork, came back about 20-30 seconds later with 2-3 bars again.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I had this issue with my first Nexus. Didn't stand for it for more than 5 days. Returned it for another, have had no signal drops in the past 2.5 months or so. Hopefully you are as lucky as me!

Verro84

Reaction score
That sucks I would call VZW and hope everything works out for ya

OP
S

siggy_freud

Reaction score
Wow, just did it again. Completely dropped the signal and didn't reconnect to 3g or another tower. For curiosity sake, I let it sit there to see if it would pick anything back up. 30 minutes later, still zero signal. I opted to restart it at that point, as I didn't want to miss calls. Upon restarting I had 3 bars of 4g again. Soooo sad.

funkyt0ast

Reaction score
that happend to.me to. they said they where fixing the network

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

xandrews08

Reaction score
Well I'm deff having that sane issue weaker signal with my nexus than my former Droid charge but my first phone kept rebooting then the sound went away after adding headphones then I got this phone no problems just won't stay connected to the network even though I've always had service here. Tech said try leaving phone on cdma only and switch when needed which saves battery but I wanna use late when I want rather than always switch but so far so good no problems may keep this phone I'm not trying to get a 3rd n a week lol

Reaction score
Why don't you update to 4.04 that helps with the signal issues because it also installs a set of new radios. Also it doesn't require root just search around or look on xda for the flashable zip

xandrews08

Reaction score
It came with 4.0.4. It keeps dropping on lte and apparently a lot of others have the issue unless left on cdma until u get a better phone or wait for an update

Verro84

Reaction score
I can see a huge difference after the 4.0.4 update I would keep exchanging phones until u get 1 that works

Last edited:

MyDroid23

Reaction score
The new radios and whatever else came with the 4.0.4 does not fix the loss of data/voice issues.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah it is clear from the recent update that if you have a bad device no update will fix it. My concern now is that vzw may just be playing switcheroo with the clnr nexus and those that are lemons are not being fixed or swapped. You may be better off sending it to Samsung or have vzw trade you out for a new device period. I got lucky #5 was a true fix. But I know your feeling because I was there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2