[WIP] Froyo Kangerade V1.0 *testers needed*

SteveC

Reaction score
Something like this happened to me when I tried installing a kernel that wasn't compatible. The battery went to 0 percent and would not charge. I did the battery pull and tried charging it and it appeared dead. Flashed back to an earlier backup of another rom and walla, battery was back at 70 percent. Mismatched OC kernel was the cause. Might have been a kernel that was not made for froyo.

You know what? You may be right :). I remember running a Quadrant Benchmark on the Kangerade download (1,250 ish). That was 1.0 gHz and my phone is always stable at 1.2. I may have (very likely did now that I think about it) have flashed the kernal I am running with the p3droid second Froyo release. I was thinking all kinds of "what in the world happened?" and may well have forgotten that I did that.

Anyway, "I think I may" just wait untill some more stable and less experimental 2.2 ROM's show up. My Quadrant benchmarks on the current setup run in the mid 1,500's to a high of 1,686 and everything is stable, functional, and smooth. Temps stay down and battery life is at least as good as anything I have tried.

samsonite801

Reaction score
Is there any easy way to tell if the JIT compiler is enabled and working on Kangerade?

samsonite801

Reaction score
2 Issues:

1. I tried using Rom Manager 3x now to install Kangerade. All 3 times it works but after reboots the phone will always lock up within about 1-2 minutes of booting up to the home screen. Even after wiping data/cache multiple times. I've had to restore back each time to a 2.1 Jrummy build. Any ideas there? Do I need to uninstall any app like SetCPU before the flash? I did set it back to "default speeds" first.

2. Can someone finally explain to me how apps restore? I have Titanium Backup and that works fine. But, it seems like the Market apps also restore about 25 of my 100 apps all on its own. Shouldn't it restore ALL of the apps I've downloaded from the market?
HTML:

I've noticed that after a ROM install where I wipe data/cache it starts to download a few apps from the market but then hangs on SetCPU and Rom Manager premium (the only 2 paid apps I have)

1. For me (also using ROM Manager), I had the best luck clearing data and cache first, and then installing a stock Froyo build second, and then after making sure that worked good, then installing Kangerade over the top of that (not even worried about clearing the cache/ data at that point). I haven't had any problems with my install thus far. I also run SetCPU with mine set at 800mHz and I've had no problems with slowdowns or lockups.

2. I think when it doesn't let you restore all apps it's because some of the apps don't have the '8' indentifier in them which says it works up to Android version 2.2 (preventing the OS or else maybe Titanium Backup from allowing those apps to install) so you must go to the market and manually get the current release that supports Froyo. This is just what I think is the case as mine behaves the same way.

Last edited:

samsonite801

Reaction score
Ok, one last question for JRummy... I noticed you got the new version with ported themes and everything in ROM Manager...

On kernel selection... Are all of those P3Droid kernels you list on the selection window LV kernels or regular voltage? The Chevy ones look like LV but I'm wondering about the P3Droid ones.

ROM Manager should add an option to skrink the text size on those selection windows and in their menus in general so that you can shrink the text and see the description in its entirety. I just want to make sure I use the LV kernel is all.

briangp

Reaction score
NexTheme is not stable for me. It looks great though. I think its related to kernel because everytime I opened setcpu and attempted to change my profile I would get a hard boot. This happpened 4 times until I've managed to set it at one speed and now it appears I'm stable. Also, when downloading from RM, I asked for froyo boot and got banana instead. Initial boot took over 5 minutes!!!

samsonite801

Reaction score
Yeah, mine is unstable as all hell too. I'm using Chevy's ulowV 7-slot 1.0gHz

I think I'm going to go back to an image I took this afternoon from before I put Kangerade v1.0 on, and then try the upgrade to Kangerade again but this time without changing the kernel. I wasn't having any problems with that kernel. Then if that works, I will take an image, and then I can start messing around with different LV kernels again, but this time I will have an image of a working v1.0 Kangerade to revert back to.

briangp

Reaction score
Few more things I found with NexTheme

Battery icon at 20% stayed green instead of yellow, was misleading until my low batt alarm and red light came on... hard to read the 20% on the green for some reason. Also battery icon only measures in multiples of 20%, this was true for the original kangerade as well.

I noticed when playing Pandora, it seems theres a new audio codec processing the sound through the preamp, I've lost almost all bass below 50hz it seems, and the treble is ridiculously high compared to where it was. Had to retune my stereo in my truck mildly to account for it. Treble was ear piercing.

Seems every other song in Pandora goes to a super low quality AM radio kinda sound. This could be the program, could be Pandora, but I thought I'd mention it. I hit the next button and its back to high fidelity.

Ridiculously slow start times from when the phone is powered on. Initially it hung at the startup screen, but that has passed. Now its just slow as **** once the main screen loads until I get my SetCPU started. Seems as if it defaults to the slowest kernel speed on startup....slllooowwww.

ADW Launcher is glitchy with lwp. Might be hitting the limits of what the phone can handle but I don't remember having this issue before.

Had a hard restart this morning running Dolphin HD and flash. The minute the flash app loaded it restarted. Running a single speed on the CPU and not throttling.

I'll keep you posted if I see anythign else but I'll probably flash back to the original Kangerade tonight unless you have an update up.

I've gone through almost a whole battery between late last night and 11 today. Might be because I disabled throttling as well but that sure didn't last long! I was running solid 900mhz all day.

samsonite801

Reaction score
So I reinstalled Kangerade v1.0 last night but left the original Froyo kernel from the leaked Froyo release and mine is running stable again. WiFi tethering still works and it will throttle to up to 800mHz as did before. I took a new image after this install so I can play with kernels now. I did read that the P3Droid kernels he has for Froyo are some kind of medium voltage in between normal voltage and low voltage and that Froyo does a better job of handling the speed slot changes rapidly so the 125mHz slow speed kernels will work good and save battery life: http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/...cked-kernels-includes-wifi-fix.html#post12980

So I will likely try one of those. The Chevy ulowV kernel I tried doesn't seem to like my Kangerade I installed last night though.

Battery icon at 20% stayed green instead of yellow, was misleading until my low batt alarm and red light came on... hard to read the 20% on the green for some reason. Also battery icon only measures in multiples of 20%, this was true for the original kangerade as well.
And what you were saying about the battery meter is true. I installed an app called Battery Widget and it shows power in increments of 10 like: 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, etc meanwhile the battery bar on the notification bar shows in increments of 20. I wonder if JRummy could figure out how to parse the same source for that spec data that Battery Widget uses?

EDIT (2 hours later):
I installed the P3Droid 125-1000mHz 7-slot kernel from the ROM Manager Kangerade v1.0 installer and after 2 hours of testing, it is rock solid for me. If it would've locked up or auto-rebooted it would've done it by now. So far, so good. I may leave this one for awhile. I just wanted to find the kernel that is the most stable for the fastest speed, and longest battery life. You know, the best compromise between these 3 things.

Last edited:

samsonite801

Reaction score
ADW Launcher is glitchy with lwp. Might be hitting the limits of what the phone can handle but I don't remember having this issue before.
You might try LauncherPro Beta (available from the market). I ditched the ADW Launcher because it didn't have the 4 shortcuts in the dock.

LauncherPro has the option for a nice transparent glass dock and 4 shortcuts. It seems to run very stable for me. It also has the option in the settings to turn a 3D app drawer.

See picture:

LauncherProBeta-01.jpg

LauncherProBeta-02.jpg

rockrdr

Reaction score
Kangerade what if's

so far i installed Kanga 1.0 Nxt theme runs great, stock... but most the kernals ive tried make it buggy, lockups and reboots.

I like the look, the scripts for install from rom manager didnt work, the apps i wanted removed are still there. its also a lil flaky with GDE home.

my phone stats now are:
Moto Droid
Build: Kanga 1.0
baseband: C_01.43.01P
Kernal: 2.6.32.9 gjdlfg@ubuntu #5 1200 mhz clocked at 1000mhz

Jason

briangp

Reaction score
Samsonite, thanks, I know all about Launcher Pro and have it installed as well. ADW was running just as smooth so I stuck with ADW but now its starting to slow down.

samsonite801

Reaction score
soundoff and soundon scripts are not working. Paths are wrong or something. These camera sounds are annoying as they always were. You forget about the simple adjustments until they are stuck on as default and not adjustable again. This feature worked in the JRummy 2.1 Cyanogen ROMS. I'm just reporting this since the subject of this forum topic IS 'Testers needed'. I know it's a small thing but nevertheless, it is a thing.

droid_maine

Reaction score
You might try LauncherPro Beta (available from the market). I ditched the ADW Launcher because it didn't have the 4 shortcuts in the dock.

LauncherPro has the option for a nice transparent glass dock and 4 shortcuts. It seems to run very stable for me. It also has the option in the settings to turn a 3D app drawer.

The new version of ADW Launcher has some fun settings///

If you hit the Menu key and choose ADW settings, then tap UI Settings... There is an option called "Secondary ActionButtons"... Checking this box disables the little dots to either side of the 2 default shortcuts and adds 2 more shortcuts in their place.

Also, if you go back to ADW settings and choose Drawer Settings there is an option called "Background alpha" This will all you to change how transparent the background is in your App Drawer, and the option below it is "Background Color", so you can choose any color for your app drawer background...

I personally love both of these launchers, as they seem to be the most customizable options out...