Why is Tbolt only "simultaneous voice and data?"

gmpdmd

Reaction score
I think I want a Bionic...but first I have a few questions related to the Tbolt:

1. Will Tbolt be the only Verizon device ever capable of simultaneous voice and data?
2. If so...WHY can't other 4G devices do it?
3. Why is this not discussed more?

Thanks in advance for help.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Any 4G device has the possibility for voice and data. Idk why it's not talked about more.

OP
gmpdmd

gmpdmd

Reaction score
So will I or won't I be able to do it with Bionic??

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

tommyg562000

Reaction score
I think I want a Bionic...but first I have a few questions related to the Tbolt:

1. Will Tbolt be the only Verizon device ever capable of simultaneous voice and data?
2. If so...WHY can't other 4G devices do it?
3. Why is this not discussed more?

Thanks in advance for help.

The difference between tbolt and all others is that it can do simultaneous data and voice over 3g as well

OP
gmpdmd

gmpdmd

Reaction score
If this should be in Bionic section...I apologize. Please move if needed!! Thanks.

greyghost04

Reaction score
Voice is a CDMA receiver and 4G data is GSM. You have 2 phones in 1.

OP
gmpdmd

gmpdmd

Reaction score
Voice is a CDMA receiver and 4G data is GSM. You have 2 phones in 1.

If Bionic and other 4G phones are capable...why is this not advertised more?? On Big Red's site, the Tbolt is only device listed as "simultaneous voice and data." This is what led me to believe it was the only one. I would think Big Red's marketing dept. would be jumping all over this. Can someone confirm Charge is able to surf and talk at same time.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Yes, ANY Verizon 4G/LTE phone can do voice and data at the same time, as long as they have a 4G/LTE signal.

Snow02

Reaction score
If Bionic and other 4G phones are capable...why is this not advertised more?? On Big Red's site, the Tbolt is only device listed as "simultaneous voice and data." This is what led me to believe it was the only one. I would think Big Red's marketing dept. would be jumping all over this. Can someone confirm Charge is able to surf and talk at same time.

They aren't advertising it because
1. Not every market has 4G yet, so they don't want to sell a feature and have it not be accessible.
2. The tbolt will do svdo on 3G only (and is the only one currently), but again, not every market is upgraded to enable it.

I don't live in a 4G area, but can talk and surf on 3G on my bolt.

OP
gmpdmd

gmpdmd

Reaction score
Thanks for all info everyone!! Looks like Bionic it is!!

PhishyKris

Reaction score
Prediction: BIONIC will be the buggiest phone VZW has ever released. TBOLT is just now usable after a long while. I believe the voice/data at the same time is possible because of the presence of a SIM. Could be wrong, but I remember reading that somewhere.

johnd09

Reaction score
The tb runs on a a slightly different 3g network than all the other VZW phones called eHRPD. This type of cdma net allows simultaneous voice and data over 3g, but all the 4G phones will do it with LTE coverage. eHRPD is tied directly with LTE it was supposed to make the transition between networks smoother.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums