DROID Turbo Can’t Currently do Simultaneous Voice and Data!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If Maps has already cached the data needed, and you have the standalone GPS enabled, that should work just fine. But if Maps needs to pull new online data for some reason, it won't be able to if you're on a call of any kind (Bluetooth, speaker, etc) since the phone currently cannot do simultaneous voice and data (except when connected to WiFi).

Generally speaking, Maps does cache all of the necessary information to get you to the destination you've entered at the start of the trip. This is done in order to make navigation seamless and in case you do lose your data connection (and making a call will currently cause you to lose your data connection).
Exactly, so for example if you follow the course that was originally mapped out for you by maps, and GPS doesn't for some reason or another show you on a different road than you're actually driving on like, being on the off ramp when it thinks you're still in the highway, it won't try to recalculate your route. As long as it doesn't attempt to recalculate your route while you're on a call, you're fine. If you manage to get back on the original route the software will recognize that and continue on the originally plotted past. But if you do make a wrong turn and you're on a call, you're going to have to end the call temporarily, let Maps update with a new route, and then you can return the phone call. Again folks, this is only until the update is pushed out which should be in the coming weeks.

wardo

Reaction score
Do I need to set a route in order for the cache to work? I usually just open the app and look at traffic as needed
Thanks again for all the info.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Do I need to set a route in order for the cache to work? I usually just open the app and look at traffic as needed
Thanks again for all the info.

Yes, you'll need to set a destination in order for Maps to cache the required information. If you just have maps open with no destination set, it won't completely function when a call comes in.

But even if you enter a destination, if you're using it primarily for traffic, the traffic information won't always be up to date if you lose your data connection. If you're on a call for several minutes, you'll probably lose your traffic information until you're done with the call.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Mr Pere, Haven't you had this feature all along via Google & "ok Google"? We've had a similar set up on Samsung phones called S-Voice, but I've always preferred Google over S-Voice. At least for the past couple years. (Although S-Voice does seem to work a little better with BT connected while in car mode, for reading & dictating messages)
That said, I do look forward to trying out Motos feature, it sounds pretty sweet.

Well, no. ;)
I have a RAZR HD and I have Google Now and can speak to my phone AFTER I have to touch it. I have to wake it up. Barbaric! Come on! It's 2014. hahaha
On the MotoX (both), the Droid Ultra\Maxx\Mini and now the Turbo, you don't have to touch it. You just speak.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Get Copilot. It's free or ten dollars a year for traffic. It's complete offline and uses data for live traffic.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

wardo

Reaction score
Get Copilot. It's free or ten dollars a year for traffic. It's complete offline and uses data for live traffic.

This won't work with the turbos current issue

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
It solves the map issue with Google Maps. All mapping is done with local mapping on the phone. It solves the issue of being able to reroute while on the phone if you make a bad turn and go off route.