DROID Turbo Can’t Currently do Simultaneous Voice and Data!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
@FoxKat the g3 just received an update (last week on Friday) and I believe it now does volte and voice and data. I'll have to grab my coworkers phone and see.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Which brings me to my next dilemma. In order to circumnavigate the above issues, I keep about 2 gigs+ of work files on my SD card. It has worked really well now over several phones just being able to move the card when needed, but again that is something else I can work around. I was always afraid of not being able to recover my data if the phone totally died. It was comforting knowing it was on sd card and could be saved/recovered by just removing the card. I think if I get the turbo I might actually start using encryption. Now I am probably going to jinx myself by saying this, but thankfully I have never had a phone die that completely on me yet!

I used to be like you. Then I was riding my 150CC Scooter when my phone flew out of my jacket pocket. Hit the street and shattered into bits. Guess what? SD Card GONE. Not even kidding when I tell you I spent an hour walking back and forth across that street looking for the tiny little card. No joy. I had a video of my kids first crawl on there. :(
New phone > Installed Dropbox. I will NOT lose anything ever again.
Point? Get Dropbox, or Drive, or OneDrive. ASAP.
Talk about making things 1,000% easier, especially with docs...

I have also had an SD Card die. I didn't think that could happen. Told people it couldn't. Well...it did. Suddenly just became unreadable. This was after DropBox so NBD BUT.... don't rely on it, brother.

Last edited:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
With as much of a headache it is dealing with VZ Comcast etc already I'm not going to deal with the added headache of hanging up to send documents, receipts, etc. Apologists and devil's advocates can play it how they want, but if the new iPhone had shipped this way it would have been touted up even more than this has been. It's a shortcoming that has caused people to return the device or pass it up. In the the past week I've used simultaneous voice and data almost every day. That's as far as I need to go from my perspective, but to each his or her own.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
With as much of a headache it is dealing with VZ Comcast etc already I'm not going to deal with the added headache of hanging up to send documents, receipts, etc. Apologists and devil's advocates can play it how they want, but if the new iPhone had shipped this way it would have been touted up even more than this has been. It's a shortcoming that has caused people to return the device or pass it up. In the the past week I've used simultaneous voice and data almost every day. That's as far as I need to go from my perspective, but to each his or her own.

I doubt it. Until the 6/6 Plus, no iPhone on Verizon has ever supported simultaneous voice and data, even after the iPhone added LTE (and well after Android LTE devices supported it over CDMA and LTE). It never had it for the same reason the Turbo doesn't at launch - a single, shared antenna for CDMA and LTE. Outside of AT&T knocking Verizon in general for not having simultaneous voice and data over 3G a few years ago, the fact that Verizon iPhones haven't done voice and data at the same time hasn't been a huge deal. It certainly never hurt sales overall. A few people were certainly turned off by it, but it wasn't a big problem for the masses (or else they wouldn't have bought it). I think it's the same thing with the Turbo - it will turn a few people off, but it won't be a major issue to the masses.

I certainly understand and appreciate the need for the feature. I think it's certainly something that people should strongly consider when debating whether or not to pick up the phone if it is a major feature they use often. But I don't think it's hurting Verizon's sales of the phone overall. What will hurt Verizon's sales are all of the other recent flagships - iPhone 6/6 Plus, Note 4, Moto X, the upcoming Nexus, etc.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I used to be like you. Then I was riding my 150CC Scooter when my phone flew out of my jacket pocket. Hit the street and shattered into bits. Guess what? SD Card GONE. Not even kidding when I tell you I spent an hour walking back and forth across that street looking for the tiny little card. No joy. I had a video of my kids first crawl on there. :(
New phone > Installed Dropbox. I will NOT lose anything ever again.
Point? Get Dropbox, or Drive, or OneDrive. ASAP.
Talk about making things 1,000% easier, especially with docs...

I have also had an SD Card die. I didn't think that could happen. Told people it couldn't. Well...it did. Suddenly just became unreadable. This was after DropBox so NBD BUT.... don't rely on it, brother.
Yup all my photos backup automatically and I'm thinking of using box.com to backup the rest.

I'm considering trying no sd card, I'm just not sure if that's something I really want to support, vote with my wallet right.

just gotta test the nexus 6 first

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
OMG brother. Preaching to the choir. "Speak with your wallet, right?" I say that ALL THE TIME.
And I have been a staunch supporter of the SD card since the beginning. Only getting phones that had them.
More and more people gave up. More and more phones came out without them. More and more people on this very forum "Yea, you don't need that anymore, man! The CLOUD baby! Put your music and everything in the cloud."
Yea, I even tried that. Put my 15GB music collection in Goog Music.
That app sucks. I'd much rather use PowerAmp or Media Monkey.
Remember when Android had bragging rights over iPhone because of that SD card? Then Google went the apple route. So sad.
But now?? I may concede. I may give up.
They've finally made a 64GB phone that ISN'T real expensive on contract.
Although I do like the Sony and wouldn't mind supporting them... I have time to think it over.
I just REALLY like the "talk to your phone while it's sleeping" feature only available on SD Card-less Moto's right now.

wardo

Reaction score
I can't remember if I already asked,
Will I be able to talk on Bluetooth and use maps?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I can't remember if I already asked,
Will I be able to talk on Bluetooth and use maps?

If Maps has already cached the data needed, and you have the standalone GPS enabled, that should work just fine. But if Maps needs to pull new online data for some reason, it won't be able to if you're on a call of any kind (Bluetooth, speaker, etc) since the phone currently cannot do simultaneous voice and data (except when connected to WiFi).

Generally speaking, Maps does cache all of the necessary information to get you to the destination you've entered at the start of the trip. This is done in order to make navigation seamless and in case you do lose your data connection (and making a call will currently cause you to lose your data connection).

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I just REALLY like the "talk to your phone while it's sleeping" feature only available on SD Card-less Moto's right now.
Mr Pere, Haven't you had this feature all along via Google & "ok Google"? We've had a similar set up on Samsung phones called S-Voice, but I've always preferred Google over S-Voice. At least for the past couple years. (Although S-Voice does seem to work a little better with BT connected while in car mode, for reading & dictating messages)
That said, I do look forward to trying out Motos feature, it sounds pretty sweet.

S5 tap'n

wardo

Reaction score
I am assuming it can't then because if I want to pinpoint my location it requires you to activate the location setting

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I am assuming it can't then because if I want to pinpoint my location it requires you to activate the location setting

It can use the standalone GPS. The standalone GPS doesn't rely on network connectivity to determine your location. It even works in airplane mode.

As long as Maps has cached the necessary information required for navigating you to your destination (which it typically does at the start), Maps should continue to run just fine while you're on a call if you have your location settings enabled.

wardo

Reaction score
I just tested of maps would work with the data turned off, gps and location settings on and it wouldn't work.
Soon Soon as. Soon as I turned the data back on it started working again

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I just tested of maps would work with the data turned off, gps and location settings on and it wouldn't work.
Soon Soon as. Soon as I turned the data back on it started working again
Did you let Maps cache the trip before you turned the data off? Maps doesn't store all of the navigation information offline all of the time. Unless you save a specific map area to your phone, it will only cache the current trip. You have to let it do that before you turn off or lose data.

If it lacks a data connection from the start, it won't work (unless you have some offline map areas saved to your device). It requires a data connection to begin and cache the information required. It works the same way that 3G only smartphones used to in that regard.

I was using Google Maps the other day on my Turbo for a three hour drive. About halfway through the drive, I received a phone call. I took the phone call over Bluetooth, talked for 20 minutes, and Maps never missed a beat. That's because it cached the trip information before I lost my data connection.

wardo

Reaction score
I typically only turn on maps and that's it.
Do I need to save the map/cache and then it should always work?
How do I change the settings?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I typically only turn on maps and that's it.
Do I need to save the map/cache and then it should always work?
How do I change the settings?

Maps will automatically cache the trip. You don't have to do anything. There are no settings to change. Just make sure to start your trip when you have a data connection. It will automatically save the data it needs in order to complete the trip. After that, you'll be able to receive/make calls just fine, and you won't lose your navigation.

Just don't exit out of Maps until your trip is over unless you're sure you'll have a data connection when you start it up again (because it might clear the cache when you exit).