DROID Turbo Can’t Currently do Simultaneous Voice and Data!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Here's a quote: "Currently, to experience Verizon's VoLTE service both parties on a call need to be using a VoLTE-enabled Verizon smartphone."
Sent from my Droid Turbo

Right, but isn't that just to get the improved call quality? If I am on Volte, it shouldn't matter if you are to aloow me to use data.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Right, but isn't that just to get the improved call quality? If I am on Volte, it shouldn't matter if you are to aloow me to use data.
If I'm understanding it correctly, a VoLTE call cannot happen unless both ends have a VoLTE phone, are in VoLTE service area, and are on Verizon. All 3 must be present or the call will not go over VoLTE (and thus no data + phone simultaneously)

Sent from my Droid Turbo

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia

TatDroid

Reaction score
Correct. However, Dgstorm recently posted a update to this where VoLTE users on AT&T & Verizon will soon be compatible with each other. Verizon and AT T Plan to Allow Cross-Carrier VoLTE Calls Android Forums at DroidForums.net so it won't be a "Verizon only" thing.

S5 tap'n
Yes, the link I posted above is really an article about exactly that. However, none of this is a short term solution that will happen in the immediate future. If you absolutely must have voice and data simultaneously you may not want to upgrade to one of these newer phones that won't do it without VoLTE.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

Reactions: cr6

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Just because you're on VoLTE, and you initiate a call, even if you're in a 4G area you can still call 3G phones, 4G phones & land lines. VoLTE will apparently only work between two VoLTE phones in order to take advantage of the higher call quality, 6-way calling, etc.

Hodor

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I think, IMHO, in almost ALL cases (surly not most) it is an inconvenience.
I know a realtor. And I've worked with a few. Can't say I've ever been on the phone with someone and NEEDED that email right now.
Medical Field Employees? EMT's don't use cellphones to communicate with hospitals.
What project are you working on, on your phone, that is so mission critical and you can't be on WiFi?
Friends sharing? Young people don't talk on the phone anymore. :D

(Please don't be offended by my post. I am not attacking you, I hope you know. Only having a discussion)
Well, my razor maxx hd does it fine, and I am a field service tech who constantly looks up data while on the phone with various help desks and customers. I guess I could keep hanging up, download /lookup data, call back, repeat, but that would get old fast, and not be very professional. And with wait times of 20 min+ not unusual to get through to some help desks, hanging up and starting over isn't a practical option. It's not like I couldn't deal with it, but I don't WANT to lol. I figure most people here don't use their phone like I do for work, so I realize I am in the minority.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well, my razor maxx hd does it fine, and I am a field service tech who constantly looks up data while on the phone with various help desks and customers. I guess I could keep hanging up, download /lookup data, call back, repeat, but that would get old fast, and not be very professional. And with wait times of 20 min+ not unusual to get through to some help desks, hanging up and starting over isn't a practical option. It's not like I couldn't deal with it, but I don't WANT to lol. I figure most people here don't use their phone like I do for work, so I realize I am in the minority.
I certainly appreciate that you are perhaps the exception to the rule so for you it would be a huge inconvenience and highly unprofessional as well as inefficient. Unfortunately progress doesn't always work towards everyone's advantage, but hopefully for the overwhelming majority and eventually for all.

Hodor

Reaction score
Which brings me to my next dilemma. In order to circumnavigate the above issues, I keep about 2 gigs+ of work files on my SD card. It has worked really well now over several phones just being able to move the card when needed, but again that is something else I can work around. I was always afraid of not being able to recover my data if the phone totally died. It was comforting knowing it was on sd card and could be saved/recovered by just removing the card. I think if I get the turbo I might actually start using encryption. Now I am probably going to jinx myself by saying this, but thankfully I have never had a phone die that completely on me yet!

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
no one has even touched on my question

do these phones support 3g data? just not CDMA voice? is that why there is no simultaneous Voice and Data?

if I missed the answer my apologies, it just seems odd that CDMA/EVDO was so close for so long for them to dump the CDMA aspect (though it's about damn time)

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes, you device will default to 3G/2G etc when needed.

S5 tap'n
except voice? that's what I'm not understanding it has data 2g/3g/4g but now regular voice? except what happens when you're in a no data area? the voice doesn't work?

damnit tech companies, if it's not broken DON'T FIX IT!!!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Everything works exactly the same as before. It simply connects onto the VoLTE network if/when you're in an area that supports it.

S5 tap'n

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
no one has even touched on my question

do these phones support 3g data? just not CDMA voice? is that why there is no simultaneous Voice and Data?

if I missed the answer my apologies, it just seems odd that CDMA/EVDO was so close for so long for them to dump the CDMA aspect (though it's about damn time)

I answered your question in my reply to your original post asking that on the last page. ;)

Newer Verizon devices still 100% support CDMA. Verizon is not "pulling the plug" on CDMA at this point. That's still a few years off.

With these newer devices, you can still make calls over CDMA and use 3G data just like before if you don't have LTE. The only thing that's different is that the CDMA radio doesn't have it's own antenna. It now shares an antenna with the LTE radio. Only one of them can use the antenna at a time, so you can't use both networks simultaneously. But there is total support for both networks.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I answered your question in my reply to your original post asking that on the last page. ;)
thank you, I definitely missed that.

seems like one extra antenna or a mimo antenna wouldn't have changed costs that much.

eh, as long as they fix it eventually... I'm not upgrading until root has been achieved on at least one of these 3... not including the nexus obviously, I'm just not sure if I'm ready to get rid of my SD card.

thanks for the clarification