Droid Bionic Simultaneous Voice & Data?

antwonw

Reaction score
Will the Droid Bionic support simultaneous voice and data on 3G CDMA/EDVO and 4G LTE like the HTC Thunderboldt?

droidhop

Reaction score
My og Droid can do that of course it will

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I think they're referring to not being on WiFi. Not sure if anyone knows just yet unfortunately.

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
A

antwonw

Reaction score
I think they're referring to not being on WiFi. Not sure if anyone knows just yet unfortunately.

Alright. Could you maybe explain to me why the previous 3G Android devices on Verizon haven't been able to accomplish this? I don't quite understand what the issue is/was.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
cdma doesn't support voice and data over 3g and it aint going to change.

OP
A

antwonw

Reaction score
cdma doesn't support voice and data over 3g and it aint going to change.

That's what I thought, that CDMA doesn't support it. But how is the Thunderbolt accomplishing voice and data simultaneous on 3G if it can't be changed?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Simultaneous voice and data is available on CDMA. It's called SVDO. Previous phones haven't been equipped to be able to take advantage of it but the Thunderbolt is. However, apparently the experience isn't that great so Verizon isn't going to tout it as a feature. As for the Bionic nobody really knows yet, but my guess would be no. Seeing as how Verizon won't tout it as a feature I don't see them putting in the hardware to be able to do it as most other phones don't have it in there except for the Thunderbolt. I could be wrong, but that's my .02. As for surfing on LTE while using CDMA to talk I would guess that it would have no problems doing this, but that's just a guess.

Sentrix

Reaction score
Simultaneous voice and data is available on CDMA. It's called SVDO.

This is correct.
Essentially combinates 1X and EVDO and makes them simultaneous.

Not sure why this is a feature available on the Thunderbolt, but more power to Verizon for doing it. If anything, you'd think they make the Verizon iPhone SVDO compatible, knowing full well AT&T would rip the Verizon model's inability to run voice and data at the same time.

OP
A

antwonw

Reaction score
However, apparently the experience isn't that great so Verizon isn't going to tout it as a feature.

Why is it not that great? Is it just slow speeds trying to do both at the same time?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah from what I hear it's so slow they don't want to call it a feature.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
A

antwonw

Reaction score
Hmm...good to know. I'd be interested in hearing what Thunderbolt users experience.