Droid Bionic Simultaneous Voice & Data?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Well one guy that has the phone did a speedtest while on a call and while off a call and the speeds were around the same. So maybe it'll be a good experience after all.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
A

antwonw

Reaction score
Well one guy that has the phone did a speedtest while on a call and while off a call and the speeds were around the same. So maybe it'll be a good experience after all.

Do you have a link to like an article or video showing this? Just curious what all he says.

bigdad63

Reaction score
Someone I trust at Verizon said that the plan was for all of the lte phones to have simultaneous voice and data. I'll have to go back and see if he can give up any info on svd over 3g.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
A

antwonw

Reaction score
Someone I trust at Verizon said that the plan was for all of the lte phones to have simultaneous voice and data. I'll have to go back and see if he can give up any info on svd over 3g.

Any word yet from your source?

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Wow... this is good news... i was planning on the Bionic and Voice and Data at the same time makes it even better. I think that Verizon are holding on flagging it around until they will have more devices that support this, and once they will they blow att out of the water.

ATT's tools to fight Verizon are running out.. first the iPhone and now this..

Last edited:

corymcnutt

Reaction score
I thought all LTE phones would have BOTH - to start off, the data will go over the LTE network and voice over 3G; then, eventually, BOTH will go over LTE with VoLTE?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
That will only work if you're in a 4G area. With SVDO it'll also work in a 3G area. I think that's what they're trying to figure out.

corymcnutt

Reaction score
That will only work if you're in a 4G area. With SVDO it'll also work in a 3G area. I think that's what they're trying to figure out.
Understand now - I guess I'm not thinking that mode, since I am in a LTE area (Pittsburgh). I just can't wait for LTE and my new Bionic!

illmatic636

Reaction score
Funny that At&t merely just changed the name of their network to 4G just for the fact that it can use voice and data at the same time. It is definitely a feature that will require 4G technology that is in the phone itself. I'm sure the phone will be tri-band or dual band.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Funny that At&t merely just changed the name of their network to 4G just for the fact that it can use voice and data at the same time. It is definitely a feature that will require 4G technology that is in the phone itself. I'm sure the phone will be tri-band or dual band.

It doesn't require 4g technology. Verizon upgraded their towers to SVDO so 3g can do the same thing and AT&T changed it to 4g because of HSPA+ not because of simultaneous voice and data IIRC. T-Mobile started it so they did the same thing.

illmatic636

Reaction score

It doesn't require 4g technology. Verizon upgraded their towers to SVDO so 3g can do the same thing and AT&T changed it to 4g because of HSPA+ not because of simultaneous voice and data IIRC. started it so they did the same thing.

Nice, thanks for the info. Know I have to find a way to get my OG Droid to do it now that I know!

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I believe it has to be built in to the hardware so older phones will never be able to take advantage of this feature.

illmatic636

Reaction score
I believe it has to be built in to the hardware so older phones will never be able to take advantage of this feature.

oouuch, I figured since it has not been done or attempted yet.

MadScientist

Reaction score
However, apparently the experience isn't that great so Verizon isn't going to tout it as a feature.

Why is it not that great? Is it just slow speeds trying to do both at the same time?

It was stated by Verizon execs that it wasn't advertized because the voice portion wasn't up to their quality standards (because its over 1X) but I don't have any issues with voice over 1X so its a big feature to me.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App