[Updated] Verizon Plans To Eliminate 'Grandfathered' 3G Unlimited Data Plans

Dfit18

Reaction score
So this just means that no more waiting 2 years to get the discounted price for a phone. If you have the money, upgrade whenever you want and buy a new phone at retail price.

DroidMomof9

Reaction score
I was on Verizon a bit ago and checked out the share everything.... right now we have 5 lines, 1 basic phone, 3 smart with 4gb data, 1 smart unlimited - we are paying about $225 a month.... To get the shared plan 8gb would be $280, 10gb is $300.... so right now we have 12gb + whatever I use and pay $225..... that is a ridiculous increase in the pricing.... :(

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
DroidMomof9 said:
I was on Verizon a bit ago and checked out the share everything.... right now we have 5 lines, 1 basic phone, 3 smart with 4gb data, 1 smart unlimited - we are paying about $225 a month.... To get the shared plan 8gb would be $280, 10gb is $300.... so right now we have 12gb + whatever I use and pay $225..... that is a ridiculous increase in the pricing.... :(

At 5 lines they should be throwing discounts at you. Like here take this -% for having so much business with us.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
bacK_N_87 said:
At 5 lines they should be throwing discounts at you. Like here take this -% for having so much business with us.

Why should they do that? You pay for what you get. Verizon is not cryptic about their pricing. It's clearly laid out. If you don't like the pricing go to another carrier. T-Mobile is significantly cheaper. Boost mobile gives you discounts for paying on time.

People think they are entitled to everything. And when they feel like they're not getting enough for what they pay they refuse to deny themselves anything to stop it. Leave the carrier if you don't like it. If it's so expensive that you're going broke you probably shouldn't have 5 smart phones. It's called will power.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
zomnomnombie said:
Why should they do that? You pay for what you get. Verizon is not cryptic about their pricing. It's clearly laid out. If you don't like the pricing go to another carrier. T-Mobile is significantly cheaper. Boost mobile gives you discounts for paying on time.

People think they are entitled to everything. And when they feel like they're not getting enough for what they pay they refuse to deny themselves anything to stop it. Leave the carrier if you don't like it. If it's so expensive that you're going broke you probably shouldn't have 5 smart phones. It's called will power.

You damn skippy there should be a discount for multiple lines, particularly five lines. That's a a great incentive for a family to to choose their carrier of choice. Most people don't even 5 people to on one line. They'd probably find an extra person to share with just to get a discount. This isn't to blast Verizon even though their prices per phones have been ridiculous as of late. Base prices for 4G phones at $299 is robbery especially when the competition never even goes that high. But to all carriers should do things like that. In my opinion of course.

cdm369

Reaction score
bacK_N_87 said:
You damn skippy there should be a discount for multiple lines, particularly five lines. That's a a great incentive for a family to to choose their carrier of choice. Most people don't even 5 people to on one line. They'd probably find an extra person to share with just to get a discount. This isn't to blast Verizon even though their prices per phones have been ridiculous as of late. Base prices for 4G phones at $299 is robbery especially when the competition never even goes that high. But to all carriers should do things like that. In my opinion of course.

Exactly!!! And 10 gig for $100 is crazy. 4 phones on my plan would eat that up in no time.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
bacK_N_87 said:

You DO have a choice of carrier. Verizon is the only company currently with the share plans.

The phones you're talking about really cost $599. If they eliminated subsidized phones and removed the subsidized cost from the plans you would save money because you're only paying for the plan. Whereas with subsidized phones you're paying for a phone regardless of whether you have "paid" off the phone or not.

Now you would save money that way, paying $599 per phone. But something tells me you would be opposed to that because it FEELS like you're paying more because you are paying more up front.

You want cheap phones buy basic phones. You want cheap plans go to another carrier. You want to save money and stay with Verizon you should have kept your old plan and bought full priced phones.

There are choices, plenty of choices, you just have to get past your brain and its desire for instant gratification.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why should they be throwing discounts at ppl for 5 lines of service?

The same way they offer discounts for just about anything else. Or how they offer things when you call and suggest you are about to leave for another carrier.

As a matter of fact....they do already in a way: I tried to remove my unlimited data line from my family plan to see something. If I would did that and kept all phones with unlimited talk n text, it woulda been $40 more. It was cheaper for me to keep the plan as is.

Whats wrong with incentives? lol..They offer them to single line plans too... Look how many ppl mention they have this or that discount when posting about their plan details.

xtor

Reaction score
Dfit18 said:
So this just means that no more waiting 2 years to get the discounted price for a phone. If you have the money, upgrade whenever you want and buy a new phone at retail price.

+1 i have family share, 1400 min,500 text, unlimited data, free mobile to mobile,on 2 razrs, 1dumb phone for the house 9.99,added another line 2 weeks ago 9.99,to get wife a 4g maxx, before plans changed,4 th line is not connected to any dumb phone yet, keep both our droid x's for back up phone's, when some thing better comes out we will pay full pop for it to keep unlimited data, i don't have a problem with that, we pay about 220- a month

point of origin

Android73

Reaction score
It's sickening. Verizon's cellular infrastructure has been paid for hundreds of times over, and their revenues far exceed any technological advancement... which is all done overseas anyways for a far lesser cost. So they give you $400 on a $700 phone and it's going to cost you your unlimited plan. I shouldn't even say giving you $400 on a phone as they're still making out like champs selling you a droid at $200-$300. They can retail their phones for $39 and still turn a profit... not that the phones are their money makers.... it's the plans. Thus the "clause breaking". Get people on the data meter and get more out of their pocket. They're not happy with my four phone plan with 3 on unlimited data netting them $300 a month.... they want another $100.

WTF. American corporate greed.

jseah

Reaction score

They did.......do a search on the Talk, Text & Data discount. This was back in November 2010 - January 2011. I have 1400 minutes, unlimited text, and 5 LTE smartphones with unlimited data for all 5 smartphones. With the discount, plus a 21% voice discount through my employer, and including all taxes and fees, I am paying about $210 per month. You can't find a better price anywhere else.

TatDroid

Reaction score
DroidMomof9 said:

Now see, to me what's ridiculous is that you have 5 phones and pay $225/month ($45/month each). Not sure how you got that, but it's an awesome deal!

And people complain about Verizon being so expensive...

Reaction score
Now see, to me what's ridiculous is that you have 5 phones and pay $225/month ($45/month each). Not sure how you got that, but it's an awesome deal!

And people complain about Verizon being so expensive...

Agreed. I have 5 phones but only three are smarty phones and my monthly bill is $250

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2