Unlocking Droid Boionic (not bootloader)

oildriller83

Reaction score
So I've been doing some research on unlocking the bionic to work on other networks. I've found several websites that clam the bionic can be unlocked, you supply them with your bionics numbers, and they email the unlock codes. This isn't just for the bionic, they support multiple phones. Just curious as to if anyone has tried this with the bionic, or any other phone before I put money into something that doesn't work.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
First off it does not have a GSM radio.. so lets rule that part out.
Second, I'm pretty sure ATT's LTE network is on a different frequency than VZW's (I dont remember where VZW's lands.. 700Mhz maybe?).

Sounds like bunk to me.. but I honestly havent heard anything about it until this post.

OP
O

oildriller83

Reaction score
I'm definitely not looking to unlock it for 4G capabilities. From what i understand, Verizon & AT&T use the same frequency bands. I received an At&T blackberry, and putting a prepaid sim card in works like a charm (minus the data) i work out of town for half the month, in an area that has 0 Verizon service. It's actually ran by pioneer wireless, but pioneer allows AT&T phones to bounce off. The websites state 100% money back guarantee, but who knows. I'll wait a few days to see if this has been attempted by anyone else, and if not....i'll take the plunge and let everyone know.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I'm definitely not looking to unlock it for 4G capabilities. From what i understand, Verizon & AT&T use the same frequency bands. I received an At&T blackberry, and putting a prepaid sim card in works like a charm (minus the data) i work out of town for half the month, in an area that has 0 Verizon service. It's actually ran by pioneer wireless, but pioneer allows AT&T phones to bounce off. The websites state 100% money back guarantee, but who knows. I'll wait a few days to see if this has been attempted by anyone else, and if not....i'll take the plunge and let everyone know.

That sounds like GSM.. and if it's off a 3rd partys towers I strongly doubt ATT put LTE out there.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
In a statement to PCMag, a Verizon spokeswomen confirmed that their 4G/LTE phones will not work on AT&T’s 4G/LTE network, as “the phones will be on different frequencies.” And she’s right: Verizon’s LTE network operates in the upper half of the 700 Mhz range (746-787 Mhz), while AT&T’s operates on the lower half (704-746).

So, no.. it wont work.

OP
O

oildriller83

Reaction score
I understand this 100%. Advice stated several times, im interested in only 3G or 2G. All I need is voice and text, no data. AT&T will operate on cdma towers. They have a roaming contract with Pioneer wireless where as Verizon does not. Now that being said, I called Verizon to get my unlock code for my phone (which they legally have to do for free. Do some research) and tech support told me that the DROID bionic is a "semi-global" phone. It'll bounce off any cdma networks, but "Verizon" doesn't support what im trying to accomplish. That doesn't mean it can't be done, but doesnt mean it can either. May not work on AT&T, but from what they told me, another network ie. Cricket would prolly work.......you're allowed to get your unlock code for your phone as long as you've been a customer for 90 days, and they'll give it to you once every 10 months.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of work to go through. Where could you possibly work that doesn't have Verizon service? Wouldn't it be easier to get a phone from a carrier within the region you're working? The Bionic is a good phone, but it's not a good enough device to warrant the trouble you're about to go through, in my opinion.

Just remember, if you switch over to Cricket, the phone can never be switched back over to Verizon. Good luck.

kratt

Reaction score
First off it does not have a GSM radio.. so lets rule that part out.
Second, I'm pretty sure ATT's LTE network is on a different frequency than VZW's (I dont remember where VZW's lands.. 700Mhz maybe?).

Sounds like bunk to me.. but I honestly havent heard anything about it until this post.

Actually, The bionic has the mdm6600 baseband chip which supports gsm and cdma (same chip in the verizon iphone and the global Moto Droid Pro, see ifixit tear downs). I am not sure if the bionic has the other hardware necessary to support gsm. There have been pictures and posts in other threads and forums which someone has a picture of a moto bionic on gsm network (could be fake who knows).

Also if you read the fcc documents for the bionic the cover letter states the following:
WCDMA/GSM network functions have been disabled by the firmware and are SIM locked by all US operators on this product.

FCC bionic site: https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...ame=N&application_id=805726&fcc_id='IHDT56MX1'

Then select cover letter. You can also view the manual and external photos to confirm this is the bionic.

kcschwabe

Reaction score
ok well the way i figure it is this ..i have been able to put a tmobile sim into my bionic and after a week of scitzing out on settings hidden menus and whatnot i have been able to get full bars and ? service? now i have yet to unlock tohe network but there is a sort of work around as far as getting ur bionic past the activation screen without a simor with the wrong one in. once there you can put whatever sim in and then edit ur fone info to suit the carrier and tweek on a few more settings and you can get ? service? i am expecting an order of turbo sim universal sim unlockers i have never used one of these before but if they work like their resellers claim then finding unlock code will be unneccesary then we will see if it can truely be unlocked from verizons network im possitive i can get it to work on tmobile or att

will keep you all posted