Photon 4G Bootloader Unlocked- The Bionic Could Be Next after it is Released!

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
All this news, is making it hard to decide which phone to get! Get the Bionic, or wait for the SG2, or wait even longer for the Vigor?! :frown:

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Forgive me for my ignorance, but why is unlocked bootloaders so important, what can you do differently that you can't do with just rooting your phone?
Unlocked bootloader lets us run custom roms like Cyanogenmod. Also let's us overclock the CPU, and make different changes. Let's say a stock rooted Bionic gives you 5 hours of battery life. If you run Cyanogen and a custom kernel, you could probably get 10+ if you set it up right.

In general it just gives people one less thing to complain about in their miserable lives. "Well the bootloader is still unlocked but the camera is shyte..." You know how it is.
Or maybe it's that some people enjoy flashing custom roms and getting the most out of their device and money.

gmorgan056

Reaction score
Unlocked bootloader lets us run custom roms like Cyanogenmod. Also let's us overclock the CPU, and make different changes. Let's say a stock rooted Bionic gives you 5 hours of battery life. If you run Cyanogen and a custom kernel, you could probably get 10+ if you set it up right.

Or maybe it's that some people enjoy flashing custom roms and getting the most out of their device and money.

It also allows you to remove alot of the bloatware thats now being included on most phones, especially the D3.

c0y0te

Reaction score
Craig,

Thanks for the insight. I kind of figured that was the case, but didn't want to sift through the info any more than you did. This news about Google's acquisition of Moto might further suggest that you are correct. I could see the big boys at Sprint give their nod of approval - Verizon on the other hand; not so much...

Only time will tell, though I doubt Google will be any more likely to rub a carrier the wrong way.