Motorola Photon announced for Sprint, ships with unlocked boatloader?

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Motorola-Photon.png

Today Sprint has announced a new high end Motorola android phoned dubbed the Motorola Photon. This new Gingerbread beast is packed with great hardware including: dual-core Tegra 2 processor, 1GB of ram, 4.3" qHD (Quarter High Definition) display screen, dual cameras (8mp, dual LED back), 16mb onboard memory and supports up to a 32gb sd card.

No doubt this phone will be a solid contender against the HTC EVO 3D, but there is something else that just might give it the edge. According to a recent post at Android Central the Motorola Photon will ship with an unlocked boot-loader.

If this is true, it's a very good sign for things to come! dancedroid

** Update, AndroidandMe has confirmed the same good news.

photon-tweet.png

** Update #2
Here's the official word:

"As we've previously communicated, it is our intention to include the unlockable/relockable bootloader in software releases starting in late 2011, where operator and channel partners will allow it. However, this feature is not included in the software found on PHOTON 4G."

For more discussions, check out the Motorola Photon Forum and get the entire press release here: Motorola Photon announced by Sprint

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow..

Too bad Sprint sucks in my area. Its Verizon or AT&T for me. If this really is unlocked and the one on Verizon is locked...I dont know what to say...

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Man, I wonder how Sprint coverage is in my area. This and HTC Evo 3D are very impressive.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Wow..

Too bad Sprint sucks in my area. Its Verizon or AT&T for me. If this really is unlocked and the one on Verizon is locked...I dont know what to say...

You could easily say that Verizon is the muscle behind locking their phones bootloaders.

Also, Sprint sucks for me too. Oh well.

wyld

Reaction score
Sprint blows in my area also I'll just root what ever I get from Verizon!!!! Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
step in the right direction MOTO now unlock the remainder of your devices.. then you will get the respect back from community.

illmatic636

Reaction score
anyone else notice they are not specifying 4G or 3G? It's not even on the screen shot, but I guess we have to assume 4G.

alienware777

Reaction score
anyone else notice they are not specifying 4G or 3G? It's not even on the screen shot, but I guess we have to assume 4G.

Considering its called the Photon 4G I would hope its safe to say that it will be on 4G. Then again, I don't know anything about this phone. 4G might stand for something I don't know.