BREAKING: Motorola Unlocks Your Device Via "Unlock My Device"

Cacher

Reaction score
So what, screw vzw. If they "notice" it just move to pageplus, and use it on thier system with better coverage (compare maps). If vzw is dumb enough to let P+ use thier system, and your equipment works there, use them up.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Spyder5157 said:
I know this was discussed quite a bit, but I just want to really simplify the answer (Hopefully)....So I ask..."It states that IF (AGAIN IF) Verizon detects it has been unlocked it will be taken off the network".

SO, I'm just asking?? Can they/will they get any kind of signal or anything, or anyway (Like when you root) be able to tell if it's unlocked, or would it be just stupid luck that they discovered it's unlocked???

Sorry for the "Stupid" question...But, As I put in another thread, All along Motorola has been able to tell if your rooted, just that info was not passed to Verizon, (until now with this Is it rooted thing they are doing......IS there anyway for them to ping the device and see???

THANKS.....S

If you're just unlocked Verizon can't tell just based on that unless Motorola gives them that information.

If you actually utilize the unlocked(or rooted for that matter) nature of the phone, custom kernel, ROM, etc they can tell. When you get pinged for OTA updates the system checks your kernel and current OS version.

It's the same way people get kicked off the OTA path.

skennelly

Reaction score
I know this was discussed quite a bit, but I just want to really simplify the answer (Hopefully)....So I ask..."It states that IF (AGAIN IF) Verizon detects it has been unlocked it will be taken off the network".

SO, I'm just asking?? Can they/will they get any kind of signal or anything, or anyway (Like when you root) be able to tell if it's unlocked, or would it be just stupid luck that they discovered it's unlocked???

Sorry for the "Stupid" question...But, As I put in another thread, All along Motorola has been able to tell if your rooted, just that info was not passed to Verizon, (until now with this Is it rooted thing they are doing......IS there anyway for them to ping the device and see???

THANKS.....S

If Verizon is having Motorola install a root checker on their ICS update, then I am sure they will find a way to check your firmware as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535

geoff5093

Reaction score
So what, screw vzw. If they "notice" it just move to pageplus, and use it on thier system with better coverage (compare maps). If vzw is dumb enough to let P+ use thier system, and your equipment works there, use them up.
Do you still get LTE?

voyageurs60

Reaction score
Lol. I don't understand that either. And yeah, the carrier warning kinda has me "eh" right now. I don't understand why they would cut off someone's service for having an unlocked phone. That whold thing just reeks of bs. That entire Legal Agreement had me loling a bit but still had my stomach churning just a bit.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

The issue with unlocking the phone has been addressed by the Fed Govt. Can't remember if it was a FCC or Court ruling... but recall the "jail breaking" of the iPhone? The judge or official stated that the hardware is the property of the customer and they have the right to modify as they see fit... the "red herring" of the carrier network security was trolled out at that time also... guess all of those "jail broken" iPhones have put us at peril!!! - here is a BitLy link to one of the articles for the ruling... Ruling Lets Owners ‘Jailbreak’ iPhone Software - Mobiledia

Dan

S

SFGate

I had Sprint for a carrier one time and found out another provider was using their system. So I dropped Sprint and went with the other carrier, saving a bundle, for essentially the same service. I would also suggest going with another provider using Verizon's system, should they get miffed over finding out one is using an unlocked device.

Spyder5157

Reaction score
If you're just unlocked Verizon can't tell just based on that unless Motorola gives them that information.

If you actually utilize the unlocked(or rooted for that matter) nature of the phone, custom kernel, ROM, etc they can tell. When you get pinged for OTA updates the system checks your kernel and current OS version.

It's the same way people get kicked off the OTA path.

THANK YOU FOR THAT.......Just 2 follow-up's?????

I haven't heard of "Being kicked off the OTA path" ?? I know exactly what you mean, I just didn't realize that was something they actually did??? Now I'm GUESSING that you can still get the updates, etc....You are just saying that you will not receive any type of notification, nor be able to get the update this way???

Just asking for an opinion? Do you think they would really follow through with "Kicking you off the system" ???

Oh, and 1 last..sorry...Say you do unlock, change you Kernel or something. I am GUESSING, based on what has been said, you would NOT want to be on the OTA path, rather get any update manually, so that the check never takes place.......OR...If it's some update you REALLY WANT/NEED, you would have the opportunity to return it to it's original configuration.

THAT SAID: When I ask for opinion about being "Kicked Off"...Would you think they would issue some type of warning, you could return it to it's original configuration, and then be back in the Great and ALL Powerful VZW's "Good Graces"...

THOUGHTS.......S

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Spyder5157 said:
THANK YOU FOR THAT.......Just 2 follow-up's?????

I haven't heard of "Being kicked off the OTA path" ?? I know exactly what you mean, I just didn't realize that was something they actually did??? Now I'm GUESSING that you can still get the updates, etc....You are just saying that you will not receive any type of notification, nor be able to get the update this way???

Just asking for an opinion? Do you think they would really follow through with "Kicking you off the system" ???

Oh, and 1 last..sorry...Say you do unlock, change you Kernel or something. I am GUESSING, based on what has been said, you would NOT want to be on the OTA path, rather get any update manually, so that the check never takes place.......OR...If it's some update you REALLY WANT/NEED, you would have the opportunity to return it to it's original configuration.

THAT SAID: When I ask for opinion about being "Kicked Off"...Would you think they would issue some type of warning, you could return it to it's original configuration, and then be back in the Great and ALL Powerful VZW's "Good Graces"...

THOUGHTS.......S

Being kicked off the OTA path is different from being kicked off the network that is being discussed in this thread.

When you get an OTA update it checks your version if you are running a leaked OTA or custom ROM the update will fail. So Verizon can get this information.

I personally do not think Verizon will implement this type of unlock check. Because it would be extremely costly in terms of designing software to check and kick people off, including the server demand to run a check of all Verizon customers and the labor cost of people calling customer service/going to retail locations.

This would probably only be implemented at an individual level as part of their warranty claim protocol.