Verizon WILL ALLOW Unlocked Bootloaders

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Custom roms, kernels, and a completely unlocked phone!

Aren't people already rooting and ROMing their devices with locked bootloaders?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

Yeah but you can add more stuff to the phone

Sent From My McLovin' DROID2

Just to clarify, The "stuff" would be kernals. the difference between unlocked and a locked means way less work for the rooters as well. Youll get actual roms with unlocked devices, not glorified themes.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
If Motorola won't unlock the bootloader and nobody can crack it, why does this news even matter? HTC is supposedly locking the new phones and I'm not sure about Samsung's stance

Sent from my DROIDX
HTC announced they will no longer be locking their phones

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
This phone is the least locked phone, and nobody will mind you rooting it ever: Android Dev Phone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I don't think Verizon will ever see the nexus!

I agree, neither nexus device has made its way to vz as of yet... i dont think vz will carry it in the future either. they gots their own primo phones.

...they do? Nothing coming to Verizon has me chomping at the bit since the D1...there is plenty of evolutionary devices that are marginally better than the previous batch by some small facet or another, but nothing revolutionary in the least bit. The phone market is growing stale waiting for something that will spark a frenzy of activity again as the iPhone or D1 did, and I'm willing to bet my savings that Verizon won't get it until it's obsolete ones it does finally arrive to keep Apple happy.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
But I don't think Verizon will ever see the nexus!

I agree, neither nexus device has made its way to vz as of yet... i dont think vz will carry it in the future either. they gots their own primo phones.

...they do? Nothing coming to Verizon has me chomping at the bit since the D1...there is plenty of evolutionary devices that are marginally better than the previous batch by some small facet or another, but nothing revolutionary in the least bit. The phone market is growing stale waiting for something that will spark a frenzy of activity again as the iPhone or D1 did, and I'm willing to bet my savings that Verizon won't get it until it's obsolete ones it does finally arrive to keep Apple happy.
I dont really think they need a revolutionary phone. While i agree with you that nothing has me really chomping at the bit to replace my D1, they are doing great at sales in marginally better phones. If they did in fact make an amazing years ahead phone i dout the other manufactures would be to happy because they wouldn't be able to stretch the profits. And IMO, even if VZ offered the Nexus s, i don't really see it as "revolutionary." Vanilla yes, but nothing that has be running down the road. And lastly to appease apple? Haha, i dont know about that one. Not sure where your going with that. VZ will always carry high quality for the time phones. If they did throw in the nexus then it would just be a lower end handset...nothing that would appease apple unless they stopped upgrading their primo phones. I guess they would just stop making phones for the droid series and incredibles etc... to not be sold on their network. Thats very likely to happen :icon_rolleyes:

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess I am not seeing what is so special about the Nexus. I mean yeah....pure Google and all that. But what difference has it actually made? I mean is the Nexus that much better than that the DX?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I guess I am not seeing what is so special about the Nexus. I mean yeah....pure Google and all that. But what difference has it actually made? I mean is the Nexus that much better than that the DX?

No, the dx is a better device all around. DX users will be loving their device more once they get gingerbread. The nexus device is just wide open so you can modify roms and kernels.

wesdo2gg

Reaction score

No, the dx is a better device all around. DX users will be loving their device more once they get gingerbread. The nexus device is just wide open so you can modify roms and kernels.

I'd be interested to try the Nexus phone and compare it to my old Droid X. I really liked that phone, but it seemed like it took a lot of work to get it to the point where I enjoyed using it.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

I'd be interested to try the Nexus phone and compare it to my old Droid X. I really liked that phone, but it seemed like it took a lot of work to get it to the point where I enjoyed using it.
thats because the dx is locked down more than the nexus is lol

matt2783

Reaction score

I don't know about that, it's subjective to say the least. I'd take a nexus s over a DX any day, even if I weren't interested in rooting and flashing ROM's. Given the fact that the DX is way more locked down, it's an absolute no brainer for me.

Natey2

Reaction score
Will an unlocked bootloader make it easier to permanently brick the phone while applying hacked updates, compared to a phone with a locked bootloader?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Will an unlocked bootloader make it easier to permanently brick the phone while applying hacked updates, compared to a phone with a locked bootloader?

In theory yes, I suppose, but most of these phones are pretty "unbrickable" I think. I haven't heard many, if any, stories about people bricking their phones completely by rooting or ROMing...