Motorola Does the Unthinkable - Xoom Will Come with Unlocked/Relockable Bootloader!!!

volando

Reaction score
Still hoping D3 will come unlocked, but the whole "unlocked first gen only" strategy makes sense, that's what we'll probably see :(

Reaction score
The ability to load custom ROMs and easily root really won't affect sales much. Us forum dwellers and hackers are a very small community in the scheme of things. And even then a good portion of us, if not the majority, will still buy a good device even if it's not as hacker friendly as we'd like.

If free hacking was really so important we'd ALL have a Nexus S...

And if it was really that much of a financial incentive than they'd unlock all their devices.

Aram58

Reaction score
That's awesome, makes you wonder if they will do the same with the bionic...

I doubt it.

This was the same with the Droid 1. Worked closely with Google and it came unlocked. Was a first generation device for them, a new product line. They leave it unlocked and see what hackers can do with it, and then use that info and lock down all future devices.

I'd bet a lot of money the Xoom 2 will come as locked as the Droid 2 and Milestone were.

You forgot the part about them also adding Blur lol.

Haha, good one

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Aram58

Reaction score
The ability to load custom ROMs and easily root really won't affect sales much. Us forum dwellers and hackers are a very small community in the scheme of things. And even then a good portion of us, if not the majority, will still buy a good device even if it's not as hacker friendly as we'd like.

And if it was really that much of a financial incentive than they'd unlock all their devices.

One of the mods needs to take this down before moto sees it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

onsht1kll

Reaction score

But how many of us in the small community affect what other people think, such as family and friends..

and we wouldnt all have the nexus S .. most of us actually want good service on our phones .. if they made a Nexus S for Verizon i would most certainly get it. But the ability to hack my phone is second to having to deal with crappy service ..

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah, people like us have a big influence over family and friends. I've gotten so many people to try Android phones out and people ask me all the time what phone to get. If they would put Nexus devices on Verizon I would definitely buy them instead of all these other phones. I just don't want to go to T-Mobile.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

BlackOtaku

Reaction score
I think you guys are reading too much into 'relockable'. The Nexus One was not relockable, but the Nexus S was relockable by running 'fastboot oem lock'. It most likely just means it will be relockable like the Nexus S was, through the choice of the user, not a malicious update. Lighten up a bit guys, don't look so suspicious! :D

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
It's in Moto best interest to do this with the Bionic. As it stands now they are goinig to loose business from antilock bootloader customers, not to mention all the customers they lost to the iPhone.

This is off topic, but I'd love to see a Droid Forums commercial, because I'm sure they are many more people are there like us that want to root there devices, they just haven't been introduced to the right people and/or sites.

brando56894

Reaction score
I saw that earlier today and was surprised, and may actually get one about 6 months down the road when I actually have some money. The ability to run custom roms on a tablet would be awesome, I can just imagine a Honeycomb cyanogen now! :droiddance:

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I will tell you right now, just because of seeing this and holding a slight hope to the Bionic not being locked down, I will wait till it comes out and not get the TB or anything else. If it's unlocked, I'm in.
I don't care about any of their other phones, just my opinion but, the D1 (which I have now) has earned Moto enough respect from me to wait and see.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Hey OP, which stories have the right prices?? This with $599 wifi, or the other at $799 for wifi.... Kinda changes up the game here lol

Ictinike

Reaction score
Hey OP, which stories have the right prices?? This with $599 wifi, or the other at $799 for wifi.... Kinda changes up the game here lol

I believe it breaks down as such..

$799 3g w/o Contract (except the 1st time $20 which can be canceled without fee, I called Verizon)
$599 3G w/ Contract
$599 WiFi only unsubsidized