Motorola RAZR Developer Edition will include unlocked bootloader in Europe!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motounlocked.jpg

In an interesting turn of events, Motorola is offering up the RAZR Developer Edition with an unlocked bootloader in Europe with its GSM radio. From Motorola's blog:

We have some news for the community of people interested in unlockable/relockable bootloaders. Today, we announced a step forward in Europe with the availability of an unlockable version of our most in-demand product: the Motorola RAZR™ Developer Edition. This solution allows us to continue meeting our carrier and regulatory obligations, but also meets the needs being expressed by our developer community.

Also of note, this quote:

In the coming months, we also plan to introduce an unlockable developer device in the United States through MOTODEV, Motorola’s global developer network. Stay tuned to Motorola’s Developer site for additional info.

What are your thoughts on this? Think there is something brewing on the horizon for the next Motorola device?

Link: The Official Motorola Blog - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

Last edited by a moderator:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Awesome news for our European brothers and sisters.

I hope Verizon doesn't screw us here in the states. :D

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good news indeed, hopefully this is the beginning of a new direction for Motorola

wikkdwarrior

Reaction score
I think Moto might b feeling a little heat from people dropping their locked tight moto devices for the unlocked VZW Galaxy Nexus:blink:

xiogua

Reaction score
I don't care about the dev edition, they just need to unlock the bootloaders on the Razrs already out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

nutpn

Reaction score
I wonder what the device is gonna be, because it doesnt say Razr for usa,,
"In the coming months we plan to introduce a unlockable developer device in the united states through #Motodev, Motorola's global developer network" stay tuned to motorolas developer site for additional info"

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
The difference is that those are GSM thus I suspect there isn't as much conflict over Verizon's LTE copyright's and licenses which Verizon is dead set on protecting here in the states. Any more it seems our government favors corporations over citizens which will be the government's downfall because "we the people" set up the government thus "we the people" can tear it down.

loki993

Reaction score
Did i miss something? I thought razrs in it uk were already unlocked. Plus if moto releases a dev razr on their site it would be full price unsubsidized. So im sure a ton of people will be ready to pony 600, probably more because its a "dev" device, for that phone.

Progress? Maybe. Still far off from where it should be.

Sent from my DROIDXified ICS D2

Last edited:

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Interesting but not revolutionary. I for one am not interested in anything that is not quad core (if not out right now). Why would anyone want a device that already has its foot in the out door (technologically speaking of course)?

I am a die hard Motorola guy, the OG is almost indestructible as is the X (which is my current device)...but I need something more than a simple unlocked bootloader on my next device if it is to be Motorola. They have stepped on my proverbial rose bed and made me unhappy with the way they do business.

Reaction score
So thats why they refuse to unlock our phones... they want us to fork over the dough for this. Way to create an artificial scarcity on something our phones should already have...

Captmilk

Reaction score
Plus there is no warranty for this phone. Hopefully our Stellar Dev's can learn from the unlocked boot loader and unlock our Razrs

gthotie5

Reaction score
If they do this for the D4 Maxx I'm selling my nexus lol.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Plus there is no warranty for this phone. Hopefully our Stellar Dev's can learn from the unlocked boot loader and unlock our Razrs

I need some sort of hardware warranty, especially with Motorola. I have had to use my warranty too many times with my X to be comfortable.

X