[GLOBAL] RAZR HD and RAZR i Now Supported in Moto's Bootloader Unlock Program

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
razrhd.jpeg

Motorola announced today that it has added the global versions of the DROID RAZR HD and the RAZR i to its list of devices that are supported in its bootloader unlock program. This still doesn't help folks in the US who will still have to purchase developer editions to enjoy the freedom of an unlocked bootloader, but it just goes to show the US carriers unwillingness to allow unlocked subsidized phones on their network.

Via: Android Community

djspy

Reaction score
Do the developer editions still come preloaded with all the bloat ware? If I'm gonna shell out to buy a phone at full retail I'll make it the developer edition if it means a more stock experience.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do the developer editions still come preloaded with all the bloat ware? If I'm gonna shell out to buy a phone at full retail I'll make it the developer edition if it means a more stock experience.

I assume so yes, its essentially the same phone with an unlocked bootloader. It would not make sense on their end to provide a different set of software rules on a dev edition. Not like it matters anyways, the phone is unlocked, what more could you want lol

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I assume so yes, its essentially the same phone with an unlocked bootloader. It would not make sense on their end to provide a different set of software rules on a dev edition. Not like it matters anyways, the phone is unlocked, what more could you want lol

Yea, just root it and nuke the bloat!

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yea, just root it and nuke the bloat!

Yes! However, unlocked bootloader does not always mean rootable... still need to find an exploit past the system partition if im not mistaken.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Motorola announced today that it has added the global versions of the DROID RAZR HD
I was in VZW playing with the Droid Razr and Razr Maxx and they had the sim card slot just like the D2G does. I am a bit confused by what you mean by "Global Versions" because if I but it from VZW I would think this would be a global phone with it's sim card slot. Do you mean the International versions?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I was in VZW playing with the Droid Razr and Razr Maxx and they had the sim card slot just like the D2G does. I am a bit confused by what you mean by "Global Versions" because if I but it from VZW I would think this would be a global phone with it's sim card slot. Do you mean the International versions?

That's not a gsm sim slot. Thats the LTE sim card slot you are seeing.

I'm not saying it was aliens...bit it was aliens.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation jstafford. That leads me to a new question..ince when does LTE require a sim? or is this required for LTE over GSM?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Thanks for the explanation jstafford. That leads me to a new question..ince when does LTE require a sim? or is this required for LTE over GSM?

LTE has always required a sim card. LTE is 4G GSM is 3G two different things. The Razrs have 2 radios, LTE and CDMA. If they were global they'd need a GSM radio as well and there's no room for 3 radios.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I think I added the big red text that was missing from that.

see what I did there?

Should have said they wont allow unlocked Motorola devices. Every other manufacturer has unlocked/able devices on VZW.

grgguy

Reaction score
Should have said they wont allow unlocked Motorola devices. Every other manufacturer has unlocked/able devices on VZW.

Why is that? What is it about Moto devices they are scared of ?