Unlocked Bootloader?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Just damage control. The Bionic will be tightly locked down.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

BlackOtaku

Reaction score
Just damage control. The Bionic will be tightly locked down.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Not that I don't agree, but they had this controversy flare up with the DX and they didn't make any indication at all then that they would budge on the issue. At the very least, it looks like Moto is beginning to possibly reevalute their stance.

qman66

Reaction score
I'm almost afraid to ask this question because it's probably been explained before, but it's hard to search for so here goes...

I'm getting that they somehow "bypassed" the bootloader and you can put a custom ROM on an X. Soooo..... what's the difference? Kind of like the post above me, they'll probably crack it some how anyway, so what exactly is the limitation of having a locked bootloader on an X, or any other phone for that matter?

/putsonfireretardantsuit
put it this way if the bootloader was unlocked the droid x would have gingerbread already

terroh8er

Reaction score
While its true that the modding community makes up a very small percentage of the market, its the hype that can make or break phones. People look to experts and their technologically advanced friends for advice on what phones to buy. These people are going to be biased against the phone if they wouldn't buy it themselves or see the manufacturer as freedom busting fascists. Those involved with technology in the last decade or so have been heavily involved in promoting freedom. Its a big deal.

The locked bootloader is a huge issue considering the OS upgrading drama. Manufacturers are dropping support for their phones after only a year, which is significantly less than the two years when most people upgrade. Manufacturers will kill Android if this keeps on going. At least give the people who care the most the ability to upgrade. Google needs to address this immediately. I personally think they should make customized ROMs a part of Android officially, rather than fighting it. If they open a ROM market for example, they could make the process much easier and simpler and ensure that bad ROMs that ruin phones aren't out there.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

hyatari

Reaction score
While its true that the modding community makes up a very small percentage of the market, its the hype that can make or break phones. People look to experts and their technologically advanced friends for advice on what phones to buy. These people are going to be biased against the phone if they wouldn't buy it themselves or see the manufacturer as freedom busting fascists. Those involved with technology in the last decade or so have been heavily involved in promoting freedom. Its a big deal.

The locked bootloader is a huge issue considering the OS upgrading drama. Manufacturers are dropping support for their phones after only a year, which is significantly less than the two years when most people upgrade. Manufacturers will kill Android if this keeps on going. At least give the people who care the most the ability to upgrade. Google needs to address this immediately. I personally think they should make customized ROMs a part of Android officially, rather than fighting it. If they open a ROM market for example, they could make the process much easier and simpler and ensure that bad ROMs that ruin phones aren't out there.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Well said.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by that?

Holy resurrecting an old thread! You do realize that you're probably not going to get an answer, right? No one has posted in this thread for a year and a half. This is from the days of the "original" Bionic that never made it to the market.

grgguy

Reaction score
Holy resurrecting an old thread! You do realize that you're probably not going to get an answer, right? No one has posted in this thread for a year and a half. This is from the days of the "original" Bionic that never made it to the market.

aaahahahahaaa No I hadn't realized that until I read your post . I must of hit the forward button when reading yesterdays posts.
Anyways about that locked bootloader........