Unlocked Bootloader?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought that with the Droid X, we'd see the bootloader be unlocked after a few months. However, it never was and I'm pretty disappointed. Droid X hacking/modding is weak. The only reason I see to flash a ROM is to get rid of BLUR as best you can, and even that isn't anywhere near perfect. I'll never buy another phone with a locked bootloader.

The Droid X was never going to be unlocked. Ever. They were never close, and anyone who told you otherwise was lying or misleading you and accepting donations based on lies. It sucks, but it's true.

The reason everyone was getting so excited about the Droid x's bootloader was because they were making the same strides that they made on the Milestone (which was already out for 7 months). So it seemed like development for the X was steamrolling when in fact it was just taking what devs did to the Milestone and applying it to the X. Now they are stuck on the same step as the Milestone devs, which is how to load custom kernels. And that's not going to happen. Ever. And if it does (which it won't), people will say "What's the Droid X?" because it will be long obsolete.

After having a D1, and the fact that I'm running GB on it while some phones don't even have official Froyo, I can't imagine having a phone with a locked bootloader either...

crackedvenom

Reaction score
This is why I'm not sure if I want the bionic. I love flashing roms and would miss that. I'd love to stick with the droid brand though.

Sent from my OG Droid

crackedvenom

Reaction score

Thanks Motorola for being douches. Like how much would it hurt you not to lock the bootloaders? Your everyday customer has no idea what rooting is, and wont even attempt it, while us, know how to, and would love to. We understand that if we brick our device, its our own fault. Youre still making a crap load of money.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Thanks Motorola for being douches. Like how much would it hurt you not to lock the bootloaders? Your everyday customer has no idea what rooting is, and wont even attempt it, while us, know how to, and would love to. We understand that if we brick our device, its our own fault. Youre still making a crap load of money.

Are you kidding? There's people on this forum who discuss ways to beat the system or insurance fraud. I highly doubt if people here brick their device they'll say "ah well I screwed up but it's my fault...time to take responsibility"...please. Motorola are douches for saying "go elsewhere" but again, they're not a charity. People expect too much from companies and it doesn't make sense. There is not one good reason for motorola to decide to unlock their bootloaders. I wish they would but I am not going to boycott them if they don't....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

crackedvenom

Reaction score

Are you kidding? There's people on this forum who discuss ways to beat the system or insurance fraud. I highly doubt if people here brick their device they'll say "ah well I screwed up but it's my fault...time to take responsibility"...please. Motorola are douches for saying "go elsewhere" but again, they're not a charity. People expect too much from companies and it doesn't make sense. There is not one good reason for motorola to decide to unlock their bootloaders. I wish they would but I am not going to boycott them if they don't....

Well if youre trying to root your phone and you screw up, thats on you. You know the consequences when doing that. Thats why theres guides to follow and you should read up on it before you do anything. I dont think its that much. As i said, any everyday customers have no idea what that is and wont even attempt it. Its us forum nerds that will. We know how to do it and im pretty sure everyone whos screwed up, has always found help on how to fix it seeing as android phones are hard to brick. My first android phone was the OG Droid. In the year that ive had it, ive had a ton of fun flashing different roms. Thats what we love about our Droids.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is no reason for them to lock their bootloaders either, or go out of their way to discourage us from rooting. It must take some effort on there part to lock them down. I think any business decision that angers or loses a group of customers is a bad decision. But luckily we have choices like htc.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well if youre trying to root your phone and you screw up, thats on you. You know the consequences when doing that. Thats why theres guides to follow and you should read up on it before you do anything. I dont think its that much. As i said, any everyday customers have no idea what that is and wont even attempt it. Its us forum nerds that will. We know how to do it and im pretty sure everyone whos screwed up, has always found help on how to fix it seeing as android phones are hard to brick.

Yeah that's what I would think to, but there's people here who root and then will discuss "losing" their phone to get a new one etc. if someone truly bricks their phone, I don't buy that they'll just take the L and not try to trick verizon into giving them a free one. It's easy to say people will take responsibility but that's just not the case

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is no reason for them to lock their bootloaders either, or go out of their way to discourage us from rooting. It must take some effort on there part to lock them down. I think any business decision that angers or loses a group of customers is a bad decision. But luckily we have choices like htc.

Sure there is. They don't want to have to provide support to people who purposely void their warranty and then act like they're entitled to a new phone. Saves them money and that's what business is about. Contrary to what you may think no company is going to choose customer happiness over profits

joemustang

Reaction score
I am seriously considering the Thunderbolt or the Bionic. So having said that I'm really confused on what we are limited to with this locked bootloader. People say we can't customize the roms as much. But what exactly can't we do? The droid x is rooted.. we can flash roms and what not right? So whats the big deal. The only thing I have heard is we can not Overclock the droid x right? But really who needs to, it's already pretty fast. OR am I completely wrong. If someone could fill me in that would be great.

My D1 is rooted and all but thats really all I pay attention too. I'm not really familiar with all the locked bootloader stuff.

thanks.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sure there is. They don't want to have to provide support to people who purposely void their warranty and then act like they're entitled to a new phone. Saves them money and that's what business is about. Contrary to what you may think no company is going to choose customer happiness over profits

Yes you are right. But when it comes down to it I am going to buy the phone that is easier to customize, and still has good hardware. I think there are a number of people that will do this. Moto loses customers, but gains in not having to provide support. So its give and take I guess. Moto acts like they are the only ones that make android phones. Luckily they are not.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yes you are right. But when it comes down to it I am going to buy the phone that is easier to customize, and still has good hardware. I think there are a number of people that will do this. Moto loses customers, but gains in not having to provide support. So its give and take I guess. Moto acts like they are the only ones that make android phones. Luckily they are not.

I agree with you on that. I want a phone that provides customization but I won't be mad if a company locks their bootloader as much as I hate it.

crackedvenom

Reaction score
I am seriously considering the Thunderbolt or the Bionic. So having said that I'm really confused on what we are limited to with this locked bootloader. People say we can't customize the roms as much. But what exactly can't we do? The droid x is rooted.. we can flash roms and what not right? So whats the big deal. The only thing I have heard is we can not Overclock the droid x right? But really who needs to, it's already pretty fast. OR am I completely wrong. If someone could fill me in that would be great.

My D1 is rooted and all but thats really all I pay attention too. I'm not really familiar with all the locked bootloader stuff.

thanks.

You can only have moto based roms then, not source built ones.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

thanks.

When the manufacturer stops supporting your phone you can't put the latest os on your phone if your bootloader is locked. That's why the d1 has gingerbread roms already and the x won't see gingerbread for a couple of months if ever