Not open for further replies.

akhi216

Reaction score
I'd choose the Bionic over the RAZR.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

akhi216

Reaction score
At this rate, that seems plausible.

For the lighter side of this check out an insider view of what goes on in VZW's boardroom...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?deskto...com/w atch?v=umrKjcriAps&v=umrKjcriAps&gl=US

After you've became weak from laughing too hard, check out part 2...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?deskto...h?NR=1&v=HZMGiiQr46Q&NR=1&v=HZMGiiQr46Q&gl=US

Sent from my DROID3 using Droid Forums

Android doesn't seem to like people using links to YouTube while signed in (wth?).

Here are the links again. I triple checked them to make sure that they're legit if anyone cares.

VZW Boardroom #1

[video=youtube;umrKjcriAps]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umrKjcriAps[/video]

VZW Boardroom #2

[video=youtube;HZMGiiQr46Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=HZMGiiQr46Q[/video]

Enjoy.

sridhar007

Reaction score
I was trying to get fresh list of apps in system/apps after failing all day trying to get the 2.1 update on my MAXX MA 440 was stupid enough to try to move everything out of system/apps to sd ard. Then phone went blank and now it's stuck & did not opened the menu screen. I've tried pulling battery and doing factory reset, but it didn't do anything. The phone would not start. how can i open my device? please help me
Thank u

bigkoch125

Reaction score
That's because locked bootloaders protect idiots from themselves. The main reason Moto's are nearly unbrickable. Saves big red big money.

No actually locked encrypted bootloaders make it easier to brick the phone. You have to wait for an sbf from moto to fix it where as with unencrypted bootloaders(locked isn't that big of a deal) is not the case.

Snow02

Reaction score
No actually locked encrypted bootloaders make it easier to brick the phone. You have to wait for an sbf from moto to fix it where as with unencrypted bootloaders(locked isn't that big of a deal) is not the case.

Oh yeah? Clearly you've never actually bricked a phone.

akhi216

Reaction score
Seems everyone is locking bootloaders lately. The rezound is neither perm rooted or s-off yet.

The Rezound was just released. HTC phone are easy to crack so it shouldn't take much longer.

Perhaps (probably not), but the Nexus will get the updates that follow before anyone else.

That remains to be seen.

Oh yeah? Clearly you've never actually bricked a phone.

I don't get how you deduced that he never bricked a phone from that.

akhi216

Reaction score
Why the Bionic over the RAZR?

If I had to pick today, I'd choose the Bionic. I'd take a removable battery, the ability to see in direct sunlight, and a closer to maintenance update release date over a 0.2 GHz increase in speed that's virtually unnoticable aside from having the (unremovable) battery die quicker, and aesthetics. I have no need for a "supermodel" phones, it isn't like I'm gonna reproduce with them. Aside from the +0.2 GHz processor clock, they have the same specs. I'm a guy who likes to keep my options open.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
SSH, the main differences between the Bionic and Razr are as follows:
  • Screen: Bionic will be easiest to read outdoors with a little more pixelation, Razr will have warmer (sometimes oversaturated) colors with more 'pop' and less pixelation. Both are pentile, so both suffer from some similarities that come with that.
  • Battery: not only does stock battery life appear to be worse on the Razr, there's obviously no option for an extended battery
  • Smart Actions: pretty handy app for the Razr, does some cool stuff that really adds some functionality, and some gimmicky stuff. Can mostly be recreated using Tasker or Settings Profile, or something along those lines, for the Bionic, but not as well integrated or as easy to work with.
  • Form Factor: Razr is super thin and light, but feels solid. It's also very wide, and most people (even those that like it) say it's somewhat awkward at first. The Bionic is like a Droid X on steroids, but is not overly thick, and not awkwardly wide.
  • Durability: The Razr, theoretically, should be more durable with it's build material/quality, the nano coating, etc.
  • Netflix: Razr is the only phone the Netflix app will play HD videos on right now
  • Bloat: The Razr will let you "hide" everything in your app drawer, and even uninstall some of the bloat. The Bionic is pretty typical
  • Performance: Both perform almost identically to the other... however I did notice a couple of instances where the Razr maintained "smoothness" while the Bionic lagged - the stock gallery being one strong example.
Other than that, the cpu is clocked negligibly different, but everything else is the same. And a lot of those things are personal preference, so you just have to check it out and make the decision for yourself.

And honestly, you should at least check out the Rezound. It's not simply a Thunderbolt reincarnate!

Last edited:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bionic vs. RAZR

Thanks for the honest reply.

I don't use it outdoors so it's not a factor for me. However the Bionic produces a much whiter easier to read screen, while the RAZR produces a less easy to read screen with better colors. The screen on the RAZR can be turned up but I would imagine the battery would die faster.

I've read some very nice results for the RAZR battery. I don't use extended batteries so the sealed battery is a non issue.

The Smart Actions are nice but they won't make or break a decision. They obviously were put in for the battery issue.

The RAZR as far as I'm concerned has a completely superior form factor. It feels wider because it's thin but if you put it on top of a Bionic they are nearly the same.

The RAZR is definitely more Durable - the Bionic seems cheaply made with the full plastic back.

Netflix in HD doesn't excite me. I have Netflix on the Bionic and it's more of a toy right now.

ICS when it comes I think allows you to hide the bloat on all devices.

I've heard the RAZR is a little smoother but I don't notice any lag in my Bionic.

As far as the Rezound which I played with I was impressed by the screen. I hate HTC, Sense, and the fact that it's as thick as the Bionic with the extended battery without having the battery performance. Further, I think it's butt ugly and Beats is more of a turn off than turn on for me.

Now if the Nexus comes some day and is 32G and works well then it's an easy decision. But if that doesn't happen I want to make the decision between keeping the Bionic or getting the RAZR instead. If the RAZR had the brightness of the Bionic screen it might not even be a contest.

SSH, the main differences between the Bionic and Razr are as follows:
  • Screen: Bionic will be easiest to read outdoors with a little more pixelation, Razr will have warmer (sometimes oversaturated) colors with more 'pop' and less pixelation. Both are pentile, so both suffer from some similarities that come with that.
  • Battery: not only does stock battery life appear to be worse on the Razr, there's obviously no option for an extended battery
  • Smart Actions: pretty handy app for the Razr, does some cool stuff that really adds some functionality, and some gimmicky stuff. Can mostly be recreated using Tasker or Settings Profile, or something along those lines, for the Bionic, but not as well integrated or as easy to work with.
  • Form Factor: Razr is super thin and light, but feels solid. It's also very wide, and most people (even those that like it) say it's somewhat awkward at first. The Bionic is like a Droid X on steroids, but is not overly thick, and not awkwardly wide.
  • Durability: The Razr, theoretically, should be more durable with it's build material/quality, the nano coating, etc.
  • Netflix: Razr is the only phone the Netflix app will play HD videos on right now
  • Bloat: The Razr will let you "hide" everything in your app drawer, and even uninstall some of the bloat. The Bionic is pretty typical
  • Performance: Both perform almost identically to the other... however I did notice a couple of instances where the Razr maintained "smoothness" while the Bionic lagged - the stock gallery being one strong example.
Other than that, the cpu is clocked negligibly different, but everything else is the same. And a lot of those things are personal preference, so you just have to check it out and make the decision for yourself.

And honestly, you should at least check out the Rezound. It's not simply a Thunderbolt reincarnate!

zathus

Reaction score
The Rezound was just released. HTC phone are easy to crack so it shouldn't take much longer.

That remains to be seen.

I don't get how you deduced that he never bricked a phone from that.

Because bricking a phone is a hardware issue not software.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

rherron

Reaction score
I think this is going to be a nice phone. I think for 99% of people 16 GB of storage is going to be way more than ample. I just looked and I have 87 programs installed on my RAZR and a number of photos of my son, a dozen wallpapers, and I'm using 2 GBs.

I don't keep music on my phone. I would guess this would be the concern for people who fear filling up 16 GBs.

I also use Dropbox, which gives me access to all of my work and personal documents, spreadsheets, etc. Dropbox gives you up to 10 GBs of free storage. I would consider it if you like the Nexus but think 16 GBs isn't enough for you. I don't work for them, but I'd actually suggest using it for many reasons that have nothing to do with Smartphones -- like automatically synching files across multiple computers as well as storing files in the "cloud," automated backups, access to version histories of each file, etc.

ice456789

Reaction score
The other phone debate probably belongs in its own thread. This thread is gargantuan enough that we should really try to keep it on topic. JMO.

Despite the debunking of those photos showing the 8th, the complete inaction of Verizon on this phone is enough to tell us it probably won't be this week, certainly not tomorrow. That leaves us with the 28th as the next closest possibility. You have a google exec saying this phone would hit in November, that's working for this date. Other than that, there's really nothing substantial pointing to the 28th. Also the lack of chatter from informed sources in corporate stores and higher lend credence to a further date. If it was within a week we'd have leaked shipments, dummy phones, etc.

I completely understand Verizon's reasons for holding the GN, I just don't like them. They did it because they just released the heavily advertised Razr and not so heavily advertised Rezound. Those are the phones that will carry them through Thanksgiving. With no other phones really on the radar at all, they need to delay the GN to fill time until the next feature phone. Otherwise it will vulture the sales of the Razr which they are heavily invested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.