Suddenly my battery life is terrible...?

PhoebeAnn

Reaction score
It's Android

Yesterday at bedtime the battery was down to 40% (!?) so I placed it in the charger. At that time, usage statistics said the Android OS was responsible for 44% of the usage. Today, after 4h6m43s on battery, I'm down to 90% battery and the OS used 37%. I'll update this tonight or tomorrow.

6:29PM Battery 60%, Android OS 45% No talking all day, Sent only 2 short texts.
9:32PM Battery 40%, Android OS 45% 2 more texts. Putting it in the charger.

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
Lucky you, Phoebe.. I thought it was something that just needed a reboot. My battery usage is 70% Android System. What's weird is that I was nearly equivalent to airplane mode, I had turned off 3G/4G and noticed the battery was draining pretty quickly so I ended some apps via the task manager and the applications>running apps, and when I had done this my phone was at 40%. I put my phone down for 45 minutes, and when I picked it up again I had "Battery is less than 15%, please connect your charger" and could barely find any system apps running, let alone anything that would be killing it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

shadowsjc

Reaction score
same exact thing happened to me as of last week. the only thing i can think of is the Google Market upgrade to Google Play. Maybe that's running / polling more frequently and causing the battery to drain more quickly? I also find that my phone is constantly warm (not hot), even when not in use.

Battery life now only about 7-8hrs with light usage (no 4G, wifi when available, no gps). I used to be able to get at least 16 hrs under similar conditions before.

i wound up uninstalling most of my apps and only kept the very essential ones, but this did not help the issue.

PhoebeAnn

Reaction score
Something has definitely changed in the last week or two. I used to get 2-3 days out of a battery, now I can't get 24 hours. Usage hasn't changed, and I don't remember installing any new apps lately. I do get a few "Updates available" notifications now and then, but when I tap on the notification, I seldom see any updates listed. The old app market has disappeared -- I guess that's now the Play Store. I'm rapidly becoming disenchanted with Android, at least its Google/Motorola/Verizon incarnation.

FWIW, I get about 3-4 days out of an iPhone 3GS.

mamawm

Reaction score
i'm at 58%, time off charger 23 hrs, 13 min. do a hard reboot, with phone ON pull the battery. wait a couple of minutes and then reinstall battery and restart phone. post back with results.

PhoebeAnn

Reaction score
Restarted at 06:28. Battery showing 90% (it was off the charger for about an hour). In the 1m13s on battery, the display was the big winner at 40% (maybe the gaudy startup screen?), Android OS was 3rd at 10%. More later.

Later... 5:04 PM, battery 70%, Android OS at 23%, display 20%.

yaterml

Reaction score
90% off charger for less than 30 Minute will be 15% or less by lunch time. I am running 6, YES 6 batteries to make it through the day! I have done a reset and am running mostly stock apps and have even deleted all my task killers. I have run every battery saver program known to man. I usually have 4G off and turn data off when not in use.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
90% off charger for less than 30 Minute will be 15% or less by lunch time. I am running 6, YES 6 batteries to make it through the day! I have done a reset and am running mostly stock apps and have even deleted all my task killers. I have run every battery saver program known to man. I usually have 4G off and turn data off when not in use.

Do you have a program like Watchdog to see if there's a runaway app? Are the batteries extended batteries?

yaterml

Reaction score
Both watchdog and bada$$ battery monitor runaway battery usage includes kernel, android os, display and Google play. Account for 90% of all battery usage. Screen times out after 15 seconds and lowest possible brightness setting. No atk, no changing clockspeeds, I have my phone set up exactly how Verizon wants it set up.

yaterml

Reaction score
Not extended wanted to use otterbox/seido convert.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not extended wanted to use otterbox/seido convert.

Mugen makes an extended battery for the Bionic that takes up no more room than than the OEM battery. In fact, you use the original door.

yaterml

Reaction score
Yip but there is only about a 12.5% increase in battery life. Not going to drop the money for 13% but thanks though.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Go into battery and data manager. Select data delivery and deselect background data. Then below that select social apps, and select data delivery frequency. It is factory set to automatic which will push data any time it feels like it. If you use Facebook out will absolutely kill your battery. Above that select sync over wifi only.

After doing this you will have to refresh to get your email but I prefer that anyway.

This helped me get 30+ hours out of my extended battery.

With all that said. I had a big battery drain today but I had family locator on and it kept looking for my daughter's phone location and couldn't find it. I just assumed that was the cause. I will see what happens tomorrow and report any big drains.

yaterml

Reaction score
Problem is I don't have wifi so most of those are set like that, the largest consumers of battery life is the kernel and android os

PhoebeAnn

Reaction score
Restarted at 06:28. Battery showing 90% (it was off the charger for about an hour). In the 1m13s on battery, the display was the big winner at 40% (maybe the gaudy startup screen?), Android OS was 3rd at 10%. More later.

Later... 5:04 PM, battery 70%, Android OS at 23%, display 20%.

Left out of the charger overnight... 5:08AM, battery 10%, Android OS 31%, com.motorola.service.main (?!) 19%, display 13%.

Is there an easy way to snatch a screenshot off the phone? A while back someone said to use the SDK, which looks like a long, long trail a-winding that I'm not quite ready to go down.